The Student Room Group

Advice for someone who's just started A-Level revision

Hi,
I'm resitting some A-Level modules in a third year as a private candidate after experiencing extenuating circumstances while I was at sixth form last year causing horrendous exam performance (I ended up with CCD after getting ABBC at AS). I've been dealing with some personal problems since September along with my UCAS application and now that my offers have come back I'm getting my head down with revision.

My highest offer is AAB and that's what I'm aspiring to get this year. I've been out of the studying game since June so my motivation's at an all time low and chances are I've forgotten a lot of course material in that time. I'm looking for tutors, but pricing's a problem and my parents can't afford good tutors so I'm really on my own. I'm resitting 9 modules in June:

AQA Biology: BIOL2, BIOL4

AQA Chemistry: CHEM1, CHEM2, CHEM4, CHEM5,CHEM6X

OCR MEI Maths: C3, C4, S2

Since I've only just started now and I've only got up until the end of May to cover everything, how would you guys suggest I go about things considering I'm self-studying? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: For clarity purposes, I got a C in Biology at AS (203/300 UMS) and that's the subject I'm planning to just get the B on because I only need 165/240 UMS to get a B overall.

In Chemistry I got a B at AS (233/300) and I'm resitting most of the modules there to get an A overall.

In MEI Maths I got a decent A at AS (266/300) and I need a B this year to get an A in that overall (at least 214/300).
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

With chemistry I suggest u writing out your notes and revise them so much so that you understand everything in depth and you can attempt old spec questions. More questions you do the easier it'll be for you.
Reply 2
Original post by Stickman
With chemistry I suggest u writing out your notes and revise them so much so that you understand everything in depth and you can attempt old spec questions. More questions you do the easier it'll be for you.

Thanks, I'll certainly give that a shot. Should I read the official textbook as well to cover the content? I can't remember most of what I've learned now.
Memorise everything! Textbooks/notes/essays/essay plan etc etc . Read a textbook a few times to gain a through understanding. Make flash cards of the important points. Also, mindmaps to summarise everything. Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
It's unlucky you got MEI Maths! They're the hardest...

But use examsolutions.net for content
Original post by JamboGooner
Thanks, I'll certainly give that a shot. Should I read the official textbook as well to cover the content? I can't remember most of what I've learned now.

Get an A level chemistry textbook. A big fat one that isn't syllabus specific. Then look at the specification of AQA and read from that book. I also advise you to look at the official textbook as some questions have to be answered in a certain way like the mechanism drawings so it'd be useful to usethetextbook for that
Reply 6
Original post by L'Evil Fish
It's unlucky you got MEI Maths! They're the hardest...

But use examsolutions.net for content

Would you say it's possible to self-teach A2 Maths without a tutor and just using online resources and/or textbooks?
Would you say it's possible to self-teach A2 Maths without a tutor and just using online resources and/or textbooks?

I did it, so yes! :biggrin:

I just used the Internet :smile: which board?
Youtube videos are really helpful especially. Just watch a few for each individual topic/spread
Reply 9
I did it, so yes! :biggrin:

I just used the Internet :smile: which board?

Well you were commenting how I'm doing the hardest board (MEI) :tongue: I got a decent A at AS (266/300 UMS) so I only need a low B to get an A overall for Maths anyway this year. Any tips for how to go about self-studying?
Just try to keep your sanity
Original post by Aneesah_May
Youtube videos are really helpful especially. Just watch a few for each individual topic/spread

What subjects would you recommend Youtube for? I've tried my hand with youtube before but often there's a lack of verified/decent material out there specific to A Level, let alone my exam board. Quite a lot of the time they pander to American users.
Well you were commenting how I'm doing the hardest board (MEI) :tongue: I got a decent A at AS (266/300 UMS) so I only need a low B to get an A overall for Maths anyway this year. Any tips for how to go about self-studying?

Sorry haha I switched off for a moment there.

Might as well aim for the A* :wink:

This is your holy grail

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/MEI/period-1/specification.php

Watch the videos. If you still don't understand something after watching the videos and practising, Google it. If you still don't ask here on tsr and someone should explain it :smile:

Then do a past paper. See how it goes. If you drop marks, see where you drop them. Rectify it.

Do another paper. You should improve on each one.

Make sure you understand what you're doing at all times, best of luck!

Chemistry this might help you
http://a-levelchemistry.co.uk/AQA%20Chemistry/AQA%20Chemistry%20home.html

Biology quick revision
http://www.biologyguide.net
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lularose83
Just try to keep your sanity

Very true, but unfortunately that's the predicament I'm in (been tearing out my hair for the last few days to come up with an action plan and what to do haha)! Fortunately my grades weren't too bad at AS so the pressure is off me.....but only a little....
Sorry haha I switched off for a moment there.

Might as well aim for the A* :wink:

This is your holy grail

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/MEI/period-1/specification.php

Watch the videos. If you still don't understand something after watching the videos and practising, Google it. If you still don't ask here on tsr and someone should explain it :smile:

Then do a past paper. See how it goes. If you drop marks, see where you drop them. Rectify it.

Do another paper. You should improve on each one.

Make sure you understand what you're doing at all times, best of luck!

Chemistry this might help you
http://a-levelchemistry.co.uk/AQA%20Chemistry/AQA%20Chemistry%20home.html

Thanks you very much for going out of your way to help me out here, greatly appreciated!
I'll certainly try my best!
Thanks you very much for going out of your way to help me out here, greatly appreciated!
I'll certainly try my best!

Posted another link for bio

Feel free to message me or quote me back in, I'll do my best to help. Although limited to chemistry and Maths. Can't help with biology past AS :smile:

Anything for a fellow gooner ay
Posted another link for bio

Feel free to message me or quote me back in, I'll do my best to help. Although limited to chemistry and Maths. Can't help with biology past AS :smile:

Anything for a fellow gooner ay

Cool, I really appreciate your help and you're going well above the call of duty here aha! What exam boards did you do for Chemistry and Maths?

For once, mentioning I'm a gooner online has brought me something good for once as opposed to the usual abuse I get on here.... :wink:
Cool, I really appreciate your help and you're going well above the call of duty here aha! What exam boards did you do for Chemistry and Maths?

For once, mentioning I'm a gooner online has brought me something good for once as opposed to the usual abuse I get on here.... :wink:

I am OCR A for Chemistry, WJEC for maths. I just had a look at your C3/4 content and I know most of it, if not all.

S2 I might not be much help tbh, yet anyway.

Haha, indeed.
I don't know how good the resources are on TSR but if anyone knows, then you could subscribe to TSR and access them, i believe as a member you can also do other cool things that are helpful like study groups or something

When i get my own money i'm going to subscribe, it's one nice big community full of help :smile:

So i did AS Chemistry (got a bad grade so dropped it), i think the main reasons were i didn't revise early enough, i didn't do enough practice questions (do looads, and under timed conditions too), because even if i understood the content, the exam questions weren't as easy as knowing the content, also i reccommend you go to the site called 'chemguide' particularly for halogen topics, they have explained it 10 times better than the textbook! And a lot of other things too

For biology i basically write my notes in condensed form, but i create a margin on the right, in there you make questions out of all your notes, so you can test if you can recall everything
then just do the whole past papers stuff, read examiners reports too!

I haven't done maths, but i guess the big factor would be to understand the meaning behind the numbers, i heard somewhere it becomes wordier at A2? And of course practice
Yeah chemguide is super good

Quick Reply

Latest