The Student Room Group

Presentations on health-related courses

Hi all,

I'm considering applying for the Bsc in Adult Nursing or Bsc Occupational Therapy but really struggle with public speaking, so doing presentations would be very hard for me. Does anyone know if there are a lot of presentations involved in these courses and, if so, would it be possible to do something else, such as just doing the presentation in front of a tutor instead of loads of people? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :smile:
Original post by chicaboom
Hi all,

I'm considering applying for the Bsc in Adult Nursing or Bsc Occupational Therapy but really struggle with public speaking, so doing presentations would be very hard for me. Does anyone know if there are a lot of presentations involved in these courses and, if so, would it be possible to do something else, such as just doing the presentation in front of a tutor instead of loads of people? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :smile:

There's a fair amount of presentation style stuff involved, I had to do a couple through my nursing course. They weren't to massive groups, but it's something you have to learn to get used to. Trust me, everyone who does it is nervous, no matter how confident they seem. Public speaking is something you will have to get used to in a healthcare career, you'll have to spend time talking to patients sometimes individually, sometimes in groups.
Reply 2
I'm fine with talking to people individually and in groups, but the idea of standing up to give a talk just freaks me out! Oh well, guess I'll have to get on with it :smile:
Original post by chicaboom
I'm fine with talking to people individually and in groups, but the idea of standing up to give a talk just freaks me out! Oh well, guess I'll have to get on with it :smile:

Indeed, it's just something you have to get on with. As you progress within your career you may be expected to give teaching sessions, give presentations to groups or give presentations as part of a job interview. Nerves will always be a part of it, but the best way to deal with those nerves is through experience of giving presentations.

Which way are you leaning course wise at the mo? Nursing or OT?
Reply 4
I'm more interested in nursing at the moment as I think it would suit me better, but there are aspects of OT that interest me as well. I haven't got to make a final decision just yet, though.

Quick Reply

Latest