The Student Room Group

Mental Health and Medical School Applications

Mental health and medical school applications
Hi everyone, I really need advice please. I have a diagnosis of depression and have self harmed. I am being treated with medication and am recovering. I wondered if being on medication and having a history of depression and self harm would stop me getting into medical school. This is my dream and I am certain I would cope with the pressure - I got 12A*s and an A in my GCSEs despite being depressed at the time.
Does any one know if this would prevent me getting in and what the process is? Also do you know anyone who has got into medical school after declaring similar illness of the occupational health form. I will still be on medication when I apply and probably for some time while I am at medical school. Also do you you know of any medical schools that are particularly accepting of situations like this? PLEASE HELP
Ps. Is it totally my responsibility to declare this or does my teacher write it in the reference too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You don't have to declare that you have depression or any other mental health issue. It might help you if you did though, as if they are aware of it they can offer support through the course. It should not prevent you being offered a place if you declare it at the time of application, but if you are offered a place they might want to discuss with you how they can help support you.

You may find this helpful http://www.gmc-uk.org/education/undergraduate/23289.asp
Original post by theresheglows
You don't have to declare that you have depression or any other mental health issue. It might help you if you did though, as if they are aware of it they can offer support through the course. It should not prevent you being offered a place if you declare it at the time of application, but if you are offered a place they might want to discuss with you how they can help support you.

You may find this helpful http://www.gmc-uk.org/education/undergraduate/23289.asp

Thanks very much I appreciate your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't declare anything on my application because I was worried that it might affect my chances of getting an offer. However, I did let my medical school know as soon as I felt that my mental health was becoming an issue again (which was sometime during my first year). I've been on meds on and off for 15 years now, including the last six years without a break, and I'm currently half way through the 4th year of Medicine (my second degree) so I guess I'm living proof that having depression and self-harming don't have to be a barrier to achieving what you want to achieve.

Medical school can be tough, and I think it's even tougher when you're already dealing with your own illness, be it mental or physical - so I don't want to suggest that having an illness makes no difference whatsoever. But your results so far clearly show that you're able to do well in spite of having to deal with depression, so there's no reason I can think of that medical school should be any different in that respect - just keep on doing what you're doing! :smile:

Edited to add - your depression is a confidential matter, so your teacher can't write about it on your reference without your permission anyway. Hope that settles your mind about that particular question!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by *pitseleh*
I didn't declare anything on my application because I was worried that it might affect my chances of getting an offer. However, I did let my medical school know as soon as I felt that my mental health was becoming an issue again (which was sometime during my first year). I've been on meds on and off for 15 years now, including the last six years without a break, and I'm currently half way through the 4th year of Medicine (my second degree) so I guess I'm living proof that having depression and self-harming don't have to be a barrier to achieving what you want to achieve.

Medical school can be tough, and I think it's even tougher when you're already dealing with your own illness, be it mental or physical - so I don't want to suggest that having an illness makes no difference whatsoever. But your results so far clearly show that you're able to do well in spite of having to deal with depression, so there's no reason I can think of that medical school should be any different in that respect - just keep on doing what you're doing! :smile:

Edited to add - your depression is a confidential matter, so your teacher can't write about it on your reference without your permission anyway. Hope that settles your mind about that particular question!

Thank you so much that makes me feel a lot more confident! Do you mind me asking which medical school you go to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anoymous1111
Thank you so much that makes me feel a lot more confident! Do you mind me asking which medical school you go to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're very welcome! I'm at Sheffield. The head of first year on the Medicine course here is absolutely amazing when it comes to mental health issues - he was extremely supportive when my brain had a bit of a wobble in my first year, so I can recommend the medical school very highly on that front. If you have any more questions about Medicine/mental health issues/both, do feel free to ask! :smile:
You're very welcome! I'm at Sheffield. The head of first year on the Medicine course here is absolutely amazing when it comes to mental health issues - he was extremely supportive when my brain had a bit of a wobble in my first year, so I can recommend the medical school very highly on that front. If you have any more questions about Medicine/mental health issues/both, do feel free to ask! :smile:

Aww that's brilliant I'm so glad it's working out for you! Do you know if I fill in the occupational health form before I get offers (i.e. during the application process) or only once I get an offer? Also did you find living away from home difficult with mental health issues? Do you know anyone who did declare mental health issues on application and still got an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aww that's brilliant I'm so glad it's working out for you! Do you know if I fill in the occupational health form before I get offers (i.e. during the application process) or only once I get an offer? Also did you find living away from home difficult with mental health issues? Do you know anyone who did declare mental health issues on application and still got an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! :^_^: If I remember rightly, you fill out the occupational health form *after* you get your offers, but before you arrive at university. You might want to double check that though - it's been a few years and I can't honestly remember! I got married just before I came to Sheffield, so that's where home is for me now anyway, but for my first degree I had to live away from home, and if anything I think it helped my mental health. Not that my family weren't supportive or anything - they were great - but I think living away made me realise that I could cope and function as an adult even when they weren't close by, and that was a good feeling.

Re other people with mental health issues - I've honestly never asked any of my friends whether they declared anything on their application or not, I'm afraid, so I can't help you there! Several of my friends do have mental health issues of their own though, which I guess is further proof that it doesn't have to stop you becoming a doctor. :smile:
Thanks! :^_^: If I remember rightly, you fill out the occupational health form *after* you get your offers, but before you arrive at university. You might want to double check that though - it's been a few years and I can't honestly remember! I got married just before I came to Sheffield, so that's where home is for me now anyway, but for my first degree I had to live away from home, and if anything I think it helped my mental health. Not that my family weren't supportive or anything - they were great - but I think living away made me realise that I could cope and function as an adult even when they weren't close by, and that was a good feeling.

Re other people with mental health issues - I've honestly never asked any of my friends whether they declared anything on their application or not, I'm afraid, so I can't help you there! Several of my friends do have mental health issues of their own though, which I guess is further proof that it doesn't have to stop you becoming a doctor. :smile:

Thank you soooooo much!! You've been so helpful and I really appreciate your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you soooooo much!! You've been so helpful and I really appreciate your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're very welcome. :smile: Good luck with your application!
You're very welcome. :smile: Good luck with your application!

Thank you! 🙏

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Mental health and medical school applications
Hi everyone, I really need advice please. I have a diagnosis of depression and have self harmed. I am being treated with medication and am recovering. I wondered if being on medication and having a history of depression and self harm would stop me getting into medical school. This is my dream and I am certain I would cope with the pressure - I got 12A*s and an A in my GCSEs despite being depressed at the time.
Does any one know if this would prevent me getting in and what the process is? Also do you know anyone who has got into medical school after declaring similar illness of the occupational health form. I will still be on medication when I apply and probably for some time while I am at medical school. Also do you you know of any medical schools that are particularly accepting of situations like this? PLEASE HELP
Ps. Is it totally my responsibility to declare this or does my teacher write it in the reference too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are not at all obliged to disclose the information at any point. If you choose not to on application i would suggest you do disclose once you are at the school so they can offer support but obviously that is some way off yet.
In my first week at med school we were told that something like 2/3 of med students/ doctors experience some sort of mental health problems during their lives- this could be due to the nature of the job. But clearly they don't consider it to be a problem providing it's controlled and you're safe to be with patients.
The only thing i'd say is med school is stressful and emotionally challenging for the most stable, robust people at times. Think very carefully about whether you think you will be able to cope in a high pressure environment like that, don't compromise you're own health and well being it won't do you good.
Original post by em.d_4
You are not at all obliged to disclose the information at any point. If you choose not to on application i would suggest you do disclose once you are at the school so they can offer support but obviously that is some way off yet.
In my first week at med school we were told that something like 2/3 of med students/ doctors experience some sort of mental health problems during their lives- this could be due to the nature of the job. But clearly they don't consider it to be a problem providing it's controlled and you're safe to be with patients.
The only thing i'd say is med school is stressful and emotionally challenging for the most stable, robust people at times. Think very carefully about whether you think you will be able to cope in a high pressure environment like that, don't compromise you're own health and well being it won't do you good.

Thanks very much for your reply!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending