Original post by Meher Nissa
Its for A2 not AS.

oops sorry
Original post by Awais A
oops sorry

That's ok:smile: but do you happen to know where I can find them
Reply 23
Original post by O9tharakanc
Hi all currently I am an AS student and I am motivated to do dentistry at uni. I would really like to get 4 a's at as level as my gcses are not that good I am doing bio,chemistry ,physics and maths. Any previous students or dentistry applicants got any advice. Please:smile::smile:

I would write notes on everything first getting it done 2-3 months before exams then revise and memorize everything in 1-2 months and do 1 month of past papers that should be a really good amount of revision. Or start revising 9 hours for each subject every fortnight after new years.
Reply 24
Original post by Awais A
I would write notes on everything first getting it done 2-3 months before exams then revise and memorize everything in 1-2 months and do 1 month of past papers that should be a really good amount of revision. Or start revising 9 hours for each subject every fortnight after new years.

Thanks i really appreciate it, what did you get for as levels?
Reply 25
Thanks i really appreciate it, what did you get for as levels?

I'm still doing AS level I'm doing AS and A2 chem and bio and A2 maths this year, got an A at AS maths.
Reply 26
But it all depends on you for some people they need a month to revise some need a week and most people revise differently I got an A at AS maths in a week from scratch with no notes was a very stressful week so i'd rather just spread the workload.
Thank you so much for the advice. I have started revising topics now as I know the subject I have taken require a lot of effort. I just hope all the work i put in pays off. If you don't mind me asking what did you get?

No problem :smile:

I got A*s in Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths. Only did Biology up to AS level, got an A. I wouldn't say I did amazingly well at GCSE - so if you put in the effort at A level you should still be able to get good grades :smile:
Maths: Do literally every past paper question and relevant textbook question you can find.
Chemistry: learn the mark scheme, get your head around all the concepts, learn reaction conditions and bond angles (easy marks!)
Biology: learn the textbook, literally sit and make notes from it, learn the mark scheme for the ecology and evolution topics.
And start revision now...
Reply 29
Original post by dragonkeeper999

I got A*s in Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths. Only did Biology up to AS level, got an A. I wouldn't say I did amazingly well at GCSE - so if you put in the effort at A level you should still be able to get good grades :smile:

Wow great job how early did you revise for your A levels and how early do you think people need to revise to do the best they can. Also if you say throughout the year could you give an example of how you can revise throughout the year?
Original post by Awais A
Wow great job how early did you revise for your A levels and how early do you think people need to revise to do the best they can. Also if you say throughout the year could you give an example of how you can revise throughout the year?

Well, I revised reasonably thoroughly for topic tests throughout the year (usually once or twice a term at my school) and wrote up summary notes for these (had to re-write them though over Easter since some were rather illegible though...). I didn't start proper revision until the Easter holidays - before then we hadn't really covered all the topics so I couldn't think about past papers etc. anyway, and during term time I was always too busy with the normal school work to think about doing lots of revision on top. After Easter our classes were more revision focused and I had more spare time to revise :smile:
Reply 31
Well, I revised reasonably thoroughly for topic tests throughout the year (usually once or twice a term at my school) and wrote up summary notes for these (had to re-write them though over Easter since some were rather illegible though...). I didn't start proper revision until the Easter holidays - before then we hadn't really covered all the topics so I couldn't think about past papers etc. anyway, and during term time I was always too busy with the normal school work to think about doing lots of revision on top. After Easter our classes were more revision focused and I had more spare time to revise :smile:

Oh ok Thanks for the reply I might start to do 3 hours each weekday starting from Jan till mid May.
Original post by Awais A
Oh ok Thanks for the reply I might start to do 3 hours each weekday starting from Jan till mid May.

I fully commend you for aiming to do 3 hours each weekday from Jan but maybe you should start with fewer hours and gradually increase as it's your AS year so you'll be getting homework and revising for other tests, not to mention any volunteering/work experience you'll be doing (which is needed for dentistry) so you don't want to aim too high and then lose confidence when you can't achieve it, due to no fault of your own.

I think one of the main things I regret from As is not speaking up when I didn't understand something. I used to go along with the lesson thinking I had plenty of time and was then faced with a unit to revise that I didn't fully understand so definitely sort out any problems as you go along.
Also for biology definitely look at the mark schemes because there are so many recycled questions in a different format and it's good to know what wording the question requires.
I can't emphasise this enough: know your markscheme and know your exam! Make sure you understand what the examiner wants from you and where marks are awarded - you can be great at your subject but exam technique is what lets a lot of people down.
Reply 34
Original post by Studentlife9876
I fully commend you for aiming to do 3 hours each weekday from Jan but maybe you should start with fewer hours and gradually increase as it's your AS year so you'll be getting homework and revising for other tests, not to mention any volunteering/work experience you'll be doing (which is needed for dentistry) so you don't want to aim too high and then lose confidence when you can't achieve it, due to no fault of your own.

I think one of the main things I regret from As is not speaking up when I didn't understand something. I used to go along with the lesson thinking I had plenty of time and was then faced with a unit to revise that I didn't fully understand so definitely sort out any problems as you go along.
Also for biology definitely look at the mark schemes because there are so many recycled questions in a different format and it's good to know what wording the question requires.

Thanks for the advice I still dont ask my teachers if I dont understand something I think its a bad habit I usually try and understand it by looking online or through the books. I'm doing a2 at the same time as AS too.
Original post by Awais A
Thanks for the advice I still dont ask my teachers if I dont understand something I think its a bad habit I usually try and understand it by looking online or through the books. I'm doing a2 at the same time as AS too.

Yehh definitely try and break the habit soon and instead get in the habit of asking questions. As soon as something pops up that you don't understand just ask, even if you think it's a stupid question.
Good luck with revision and remember it will all pay off eventually!
Reply 36

Thanks
Reply 37
Original post by elmothedancer
Maths: Do literally every past paper question and relevant textbook question you can find.
Chemistry: learn the mark scheme, get your head around all the concepts, learn reaction conditions and bond angles (easy marks!)
Biology: learn the textbook, literally sit and make notes from it, learn the mark scheme for the ecology and evolution topics.
And start revision now...

Thanks for the advice what boards did you have for the subjects
Thanks for the advice what boards did you have for the subjects

OCR for all of them, I think they all do similar topics though? Sorry I can't help with physics, I did French instead :P where are you thinking of applying for dentistry?
Original post by schindlers list
First learn fundamental grammar rules.
4As*
You might end up with 4Es if you're lucky.

​Uncalled for.

Quick Reply

Latest