The Student Room Group

AirAsia flight missing??!???

Scroll to see replies

I actually hope that the plane changed paths and landed somewhere else. One reason I'll never go on a long haul flight. Such a horrible thing to happen. I sincerely hope they find everyone in one piece.
Original post by RedStar98
How exactly can they 'lose' planes with modern technology?

Radars were invented 70 years ago its not modern technology and although brilliant bits of kit. They work very simply and are easily interferred with by strong winds..flocks of birds..let alone a strong CB cloud in a tropical environment of busy air space. It's more suprising that we don't lose more aircraft.

Once the aircraft starts to descend rapidly due to weather/aircraft malfunction depending on distance from the radar they will be low its base of cover relatively quickly especially over the ocean.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AlphaTango
Radars were invented 70 years ago its not modern technology and although brilliant bits of kit. They work very simply and are easily interferred with by strong winds..flocks of birds..let alone a strong CB cloud in a tropical environment of busy air space. It's more suprising that we don't lose more aircraft.

Once the aircraft starts to descend rapidly due to weather/aircraft malfunction depending on distance from the radar they will be low its base of cover relatively quickly especially over the ocean.

What about transponders which can give out signals even from a wreckage, like the black boxes?
What about transponders which can give out signals even from a wreckage, like the black boxes?

Transponders work on SSR. It's still a radar that picks up the signal, it can still be interferred with by the environment, could malfunction and again once the aircraft descends below the radar coverage as it falls towards the ground the contact will be lost. Unfortunately it depends almost on line of sight signal so its quite easy to lose the aircraft.

The signal on the black box is different to the one sent to air traffic, but still a ship or aircraft would have to be in the area to pick it up.
Original post by Anonynous
AirAsia has just confirmed it has lost contact with flight number QZ8501 (162 people on board)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-30614627

Is it time to short the companies shares?

Any theories as to what might have happened?

#NoMorals
Original post by incomingIBD
#NoMorals

Not really immoral. The deed is done, all we can do is project future income streams given historical and present occurences. It's just business.
I hate flying
Original post by Anonynous
AirAsia has just confirmed it has lost contact with flight number QZ8501 (162 people on board)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-30614627

Is it time to short the companies shares?

Any theories as to what might have happened?

just saying. KLSE doesnt allow shorting.
Reply 48
It's not a coincidence that over the past year 2 flights in the region have gone missing..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrJAKEE
It's not a coincidence that over the past year 2 flights in the region have gone missing..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please, behave.

2 flights out of how many? 100s of thousands I'd imagine.

If it went missing on a perfectly clear day, abut like MH370, then maybe you'd have something, but they flew into a huge storm.
Reply 50
How exactly can they 'lose' planes with modern technology?

Because when any modern technology is involved in a plane crash it doesn't tend to continue working.

Try seeing if 'Find My iPhone' still works if you place your phone 5 miles under the pacific ocean.

Almost every plane that crashes goes 'missing' at first, unless it happens to crash at an airport.

I'd be very surprised if this plane is still missing in 24-48 hours.
Original post by spyka
Because when any modern technology is involved in a plane crash it doesn't tend to continue working.

Try seeing if 'Find My iPhone' still works if you place your phone 5 miles under the pacific ocean.

Almost every plane that crashes goes 'missing' at first, unless it happens to crash at an airport.

I'd be very surprised if this plane is still missing in 24-48 hours.

I thought they still received signals from MH370 even after it was at the bottom of the ocean?
Reply 52
Original post by arichmond64
Please, behave.

2 flights out of how many? 100s of thousands I'd imagine.

If it went missing on a perfectly clear day, abut like MH370, then maybe you'd have something, but they flew into a huge storm.

So tell me how many flights over say, the whole world over the past couple of years have gone missing? Hardly any that I can recall of. And the region? The same one. There's definitely something wrong going on in that region.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought they still received signals from MH370 even after it was at the bottom of the ocean?

That'd be the emergency transponder pings from the black box which they were looking for. These are signals that can only be picked up by vessels within the right area. Problem is, they only have a limited battery time & life span, depending on ocean conditions etc.

MH370 was lost as it wasn't determined even roughly where the plane went down until close to the time that the pings would have stopped, so they only managed to get a faint idea (and last I heard it wasn't confirmed that the pings they received were actually from the plane).
Original post by MrJAKEE
So tell me how many flights over say, the whole world over the past couple of years have gone missing? Hardly any that I can recall of. And the region? The same one. There's definitely something wrong going on in that region.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Planes crash all the time

http://planecrashinfo.com/

There's been 6 this month alone. The only reason this is getting such large amount of coverage is because of the high amount of possible casualties and the 'link' to MH370.
Reply 55
Original post by Fenrirs_space
Planes crash all the time

http://planecrashinfo.com/

There's been 6 this month alone. The only reason this is getting such large amount of coverage is because of the high amount of possible casualties and the 'link' to MH370.

Sorry I should have been more specific - major airliners in the South East Asian region. If anything the scale of the possible number of casualties only makes it greater that it wasn't a coincidence, no airline would ever be so idiotic as to let a plane fly in bad conditions.

Of course only time can tell, but I know that if they can't find the remains of this plane then there is definitely something odd going on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56

That's the ping from the black boxes and they are very limited in power and range. It's not like you look up on a computer and see an X on a map, you need to be in the vague area of the black box (which may or not may not be where the plane itself is) to pick up the trace, then track it manually.
Original post by K1NG93
I hate flying

same
Reply 58
Original post by MrJAKEE

Posted from TSR Mobile

All airplanes that crash are 'missing' until wreckage is found.

Air France 447 was missing in 2009 for two days before they found the wreckage in the ocean.
Reply 59
Original post by spyka
All airplanes that crash are 'missing' until wreckage is found.

Air France 447 was missing in 2009 for two days before they found the wreckage in the ocean.

When I meant "missing" I meant have completely gone off the trace of the map, no wreckage is found and no idea what happened. That's why I said in my last post that only time will tell .. If they don't find it having I still don't find it coincidental.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest