The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

The UCL PPE thread

Scroll to see replies

Just sent of my UCAS for Oxford (PPE), UCL (PPE), LSE (PPE), St Andrews (Econ and Int Rel) and Edinburgh (Econ and Pol). :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by coolawits
UCL's course is confusing me a little bit. I'm almost certainly gonna apply for it but I still have one key question:

It's the age old problem of Maths and PPE again. I'm doing Maths and likely to get maybe an A prediction - not A*. I'm not too sure where I stand with this therefore. I don't think I'm ruled out of UCL's application as they mention that you only need it if, in your degree, you are gonna be quite Econ-specific, plus I'm guessing that decision will involve your actual A Level result, not your prediction.

Off hand - does anyone know if this rules me out of LSE? I know they say they require A* Maths but is that at the prediction stage specifically, or if you end up with an A* come A Level results day 2015, is that OK?

Hi, I was in exactly the same position a few weeks ago, and was thinking of not applying. As it happens I got an A* prediction in maths (that was a moment for celebration!) so I applied, but I think if I hadn't got the A* prediction I might have applied for Econ&Phil and somehow worked my PS around that
The UCL course looks interesting, better mix than LSE (thought less prestigious) but not as good as Durham or Oxford (whose courses make a lot more sense (probably because they are older).

I applied for UCL (PPE), LSE(PPE), Oxford (PPE), Durham (PPE) and Manchester (PPE) on Monday, got an offer from Manchester yesterday (Thursday). Pretty good turn around, not that I want to got there.

If I get an offer from LSE or Durham (and not oxford) I will be putting UCL as insurance probably, because whilst it looks good neither the uni nor the course makes me want to be there like those two do
UCL>>>Durham in terms of prestige
Original post by migetboy66
UCL>>>Durham in terms of prestige

They are pretty much even for undergrad, Durham actually has a higher UCAS tariff.
anyone received offers yet?
UCL - Not offer no. They did contact me like a week ago to ask for module grades. But that's it. I did get a Warwick PPE offer though :smile: They are the only ones so far.
Have Ucl contacted everyone to ask for module grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am similar except they contacted my school rather than me and asked for bandings (I am a Scottish applicant). :smile:
Original post by rollthedice
I don't think ill be applying for PPE now because almost everywhere requires maths!
I'm applying to Durham and LSE though Politics and Philosophy.
York sounds like a lovely place also!!
Do York also ask for Maths a level?

I'm having the same issue, I'm in year 12 and my top degree choice is PPE, but despite doing 3/4 'university preferred' subjects I don't do maths and so can't apply for most of my preferred options. I understand to an extent but the A* requirement is ridiculous quite frankly

However, most uni's offer alternatives such as history and Int relations, int relations and philosophy as well as history and politics, many of these offer philosophy/economics-based modules plus they are more highly respected by employers.

After speaking to some of my dad's friends who work in Administration and recruitment, top employers tend to look for graduates who studied more 'traditional' degrees at ~better~ universities. This of course is far from the case with every employer
any offers yet? it seems that lse and kcl have sent out offers for those who applied in oct
Original post by constantino_chr
I'm having the same issue, I'm in year 12 and my top degree choice is PPE, but despite doing 3/4 'university preferred' subjects I don't do maths and so can't apply for most of my preferred options. I understand to an extent but the A* requirement is ridiculous quite frankly

However, most uni's offer alternatives such as history and Int relations, int relations and philosophy as well as history and politics, many of these offer philosophy/economics-based modules plus they are more highly respected by employers.

After speaking to some of my dad's friends who work in Administration and recruitment, top employers tend to look for graduates who studied more 'traditional' degrees at ~better~ universities. This of course is far from the case with every employer

Pretty sure economics is highly respected by employers, because it shows you're good at maths (which you need to be for PPE)...
Original post by anonwinner
Pretty sure economics is highly respected by employers, because it shows you're good at maths (which you need to be for PPE)...

Yes, what I meant was that a history degree is more sought after (from what I've heard/read from multiple sources) than PPE (unless you do it at Oxbridge/top unis, even then that's mainly because of the uni itself). Obviously economics is also one of the most sought after degrees. You clearly just misread my post
Yes, what I meant was that a history degree is more sought after (from what I've heard/read from multiple sources) than PPE (unless you do it at Oxbridge/top unis, even then that's mainly because of the uni itself). Obviously economics is also one of the most sought after degrees. You clearly just misread my post

Forbes lists History as the 9th least valuable degree... It's pretty much useless for most jobs
Forbes lists History as the 9th least valuable degree... It's pretty much useless for most jobs

I'm not going to get into an argument about this but as a history/politics nerd I feel compelled to fight for ma subject.

Firstly, I view Forbes as highly self-indulgent so I don't value their judgement at all. Secondly, they're American and so their stats/opinions come from a country with a very different education system and jobs market. And thirdly, though history degrees aren't 'practical' in that sense, they prove (especially if a 1st or 2:1 from a top university) that the candidate is academic, ambitious and is able to interpret, analyse, evaluate and present information which, correct me if I'm wrong, can be viewed as a useful skill in many top jobs (law, politics, management)

And at the end of the day, top employers want the best candidates and having a history degree from Durham is better than a ~useful~ degree from a crappy uni.
I'm not going to get into an argument about this but as a history/politics nerd I feel compelled to fight for ma subject.

Firstly, I view Forbes as highly self-indulgent so I don't value their judgement at all. Secondly, they're American and so their stats/opinions come from a country with a very different education system and jobs market. And thirdly, though history degrees aren't 'practical' in that sense, they prove (especially if a 1st or 2:1 from a top university) that the candidate is academic, ambitious and is able to interpret, analyse, evaluate and present information which, correct me if I'm wrong, can be viewed as a useful skill in many top jobs (law, politics, management)

And at the end of the day, top employers want the best candidates and having a history degree from Durham is better than a ~useful~ degree from a crappy uni.

I also enjoy history and politics. A history degree from Durham will probably be very useful
I also enjoy history and politics. A history degree from Durham will probably be very useful

exactly right, any degree looks reasonably good if it's from a top uni IMO
any news?
Original post by milkman94
any news?

Apparently some people have had emails about their choice of stream... I haven't had anything though!:P
Original post by LevCrofts
Apparently some people have had emails about their choice of stream... I haven't had anything though!:P

I haven't had anything either. Now we know UCL is making progress on the UCL applications.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending