The Student Room Group

AS/A2 mocks?!?!?!?

Scroll to see replies

everyone just worry about yourself. Honestly from reading this whole forum I realised that its pointless, because you can listen to someone elses advice but at the end of the day your on your own! You will have to knuckledown yourself!
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Easy A*s? What do you mean?

I understand Ds and Cs,Bs and As. Just don't understand what happens when people get Es.

Or Us.

i got DDEU

I revised a load but if you miss lessons or just don't understand then its difficult to get high marks
Original post by harrietmackinney
i got DDEU

I revised a load but if you miss lessons or just don't understand then its difficult to get high marks

So you did miss lessons!

So before you go into exams, why don't you try and find someone to help you understand? TSR is quite good, although it's a lot easier in person with somebody.

I don't mean to cause offence, I'm just curious as I'd like to help people in some way.
So you did miss lessons!

So before you go into exams, why don't you try and find someone to help you understand? TSR is quite good, although it's a lot easier in person with somebody.

I don't mean to cause offence, I'm just curious as I'd like to help people in some way.

Well yeah but mines sort of a different case from moth other people. I think I missed 50% of the year last year, maybe more idk.

TSR is helpful, however no matter how much revision you do if you're not in lessons you won't get top marks. I did a lot of revision but I just never learnt it properly in the first place to be able to revise? If that makes sense?

I get what you mean, I've told all the Year 12's that they need to be in, you just can't afford to miss lessons.
Well yeah but mines sort of a different case from moth other people. I think I missed 50% of the year last year, maybe more idk.

TSR is helpful, however no matter how much revision you do if you're not in lessons you won't get top marks. I did a lot of revision but I just never learnt it properly in the first place to be able to revise? If that makes sense?

I get what you mean, I've told all the Year 12's that they need to be in, you just can't afford to miss lessons.

That's a lot to miss.

But I self taught some stuff, like Maths AS/2 I didn't have any lessons at all. But I learnt the content and then revised? Was that not possible? If so, why wasn't it?
That's a lot to miss.

But I self taught some stuff, like Maths AS/2 I didn't have any lessons at all. But I learnt the content and then revised? Was that not possible? If so, why wasn't it?

Yeah I had major back surgery in November 2013.

I couldn't really teach myself as I was in hospital fro 15 days, where obviously I was in no position to be doing work.

When I returned home i was on 20 tablets a day which caused all sorts of side effects, the main being drowsiness. So the work I did do I wasn't really in the state to be properly understanding.

I also couldn't sit for longer than 30 minutes before having to stand up, it just interrupted my work a lot.

Also I had physio-therapy to attend to re teach me how to walk etc.

When I returned to school I started off only being in 2 hours a day, and then half days and eventually full time. But I still had appointments to attend throughout the year.

I did try but in my case realistically I wasn't getting any higher than D's. tbh after the year I had I was quite proud that I got DDEU!
Yeah I had major back surgery in November 2013.

I couldn't really teach myself as I was in hospital fro 15 days, where obviously I was in no position to be doing work.

When I returned home i was on 20 tablets a day which caused all sorts of side effects, the main being drowsiness. So the work I did do I wasn't really in the state to be properly understanding.

I also couldn't sit for longer than 30 minutes before having to stand up, it just interrupted my work a lot.

Also I had physio-therapy to attend to re teach me how to walk etc.

When I returned to school I started off only being in 2 hours a day, and then half days and eventually full time. But I still had appointments to attend throughout the year.

I did try but in my case realistically I wasn't getting any higher than D's. tbh after the year I had I was quite proud that I got DDEU!

With those circumstances, you definitely are an exceptional cases and not the type I'm referring to.

Sorry to hear about that.
got my a2 mocks coming up and i really need to do well in these as my as grades were bad and i want my teachers to put my predicted grades up :smile: buuuuutt my chem teacher thinks its ok to cram three lessons worth of work into two lessons just because they put it in the mock when we havent covered it.....so annoyed .....
In my AS year, I think my mocks were similar ish. I had one impressive one at 99% and the rest were 60s. I ended up doing fairly well at the end with a ¬86% average across the board.
Started revision today
How do you even get an E?

Like did you go into the exam with 0 lessons or prep?

To be honest I got dreadful marks in all my maths mocks, and I'd done loads of revision for them. Ended up with an A.
Same with all my other subjects, did loads of revision for mocks, did terribly up until May pretty much. No one really expected me to get the results I did. So it is possible! Some people just tend to do badly in mocks regardless of how much revision they do.
How do you even get an E?

Like did you go into the exam with 0 lessons or prep?

That would get you a grade U, nowhere near an E
Original post by subjunctivehistorian
To be honest I got dreadful marks in all my maths mocks, and I'd done loads of revision for them. Ended up with an A.
Same with all my other subjects, did loads of revision for mocks, did terribly up until May pretty much. No one really expected me to get the results I did. So it is possible! Some people just tend to do badly in mocks regardless of how much revision they do.

And you ended up applying to Cambridge! I did badly in chem tests, but I know why. It was because I just did them without even knowing things. But once I got the tests back, I saw what went wrong and just rectified that with a teacher.

I just don't understand how that happens in real exams without ECs
Reply 53
Original post by Kill3er
There's enough time if you stop seeking validation from other people on this forum and actually start working.

Haha That is so true!!!
In my opinion mocks are by no means an accurate representation of how you'll do in the actual exam... it all depends on how you spend the 5 months after that

I think last year I only started revising like 3 or 4 weeks before my exams :s-smilie: I strongly do not recommend this :colondollar:

Easy A*s? What do you mean?

I understand Ds and Cs,Bs and As. Just don't understand what happens when people get Es.

Or Us.

I got a U for AS geography and tbh I don't understand how it happened either :lol: I didn't revise for it, but I still wasn't expecting less than a D for some reason. I mean, it's not like I just wrote my name on the exam paper and then took a nap.. I actually made an effort to answer the questions. Oh well :tongue:
Original post by eggpotato
In my opinion mocks are by no means an accurate representation of how you'll do in the actual exam... it all depends on how you spend the 5 months after that

I think last year I only started revising like 3 or 4 weeks before my exams :s-smilie: I strongly do not recommend this :colondollar:

I got a U for AS geography and tbh I don't understand how it happened either :lol: I didn't revise for it, but I still wasn't expecting less than a D for some reason. I mean, it's not like I just wrote my name on the exam paper and then took a nap.. I actually made an effort to answer the questions. Oh well :tongue:

Geography?! Sorry, I'm going to be insensitive but how the actual ****.

Like even with lack of case studies you can get a D surely?
Geography?! Sorry, I'm going to be insensitive but how the actual ****.

Like even with lack of case studies you can get a D surely?

You would think so, but I guess my sheer laziness and lack of motivation brought me down... I absolutely hated geography.

I thought I could manage a D without revising but I guess I'm not as smart as I thought haha. Leaving a couple of smart-ass comments on the paper probably didn't help either. I recall responding to a question with something like "not choosing a subject like geography would have helped".
Original post by eggpotato
You would think so, but I guess my sheer laziness and lack of motivation brought me down... I absolutely hated geography.

I thought I could manage a D without revising but I guess I'm not as smart as I thought haha. Leaving a couple of smart-ass comments on the paper probably didn't help either. I recall responding to a question with something like "not choosing a subject like geography would have helped".

I hated it too at AS. Too boring lol

Hahahaha that's hilarious. I did something similar at GCSE on a biology paper
Reply 58
I haven't revised at all and I have 1 week left until my mocks! :afraid:
I'm doing History, English Language and Maths!
I don't know what to do either, and I've been procrastinating to the max :frown:

Anybody doing the same subjects as me? Any tips, tricks and advice for quick revision?
I done my mocks before christmas and got:
Biology - A
Geography - A
Psychology - B

I started studying in September; I just go over my notes every night after the gym and I find it's extremely effective. Good luck everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest