The Student Room Group

Should i continue to Maths A2?

Hey, looking for advice, should I continue maths through to A2? Like how much harder is it than AS?
Original post by Ewanmlg
Hey, looking for advice, should I continue maths through to A2? Like how much harder is it than AS?

Why don't you take a look at the books and test papers? :smile:
It's going to depend from person to person, so only you can really know if you can cope with it. I do Edexcel (it will also differ with exam boards), and I thought AS was quite easy, but I hate A2 so much, I have no idea what's going on, so I would definitely say it's harder. But then, any subject will be harder. I'd judge it on wether you enjoy it, because if you do you'll be more willing to put the time in.
In my case I'm finding A2 a lot easier (OCR) and it looks like everyone else in my class is as well. That might be because most of us are working a bit harder or because our class is smaller but I think the main reason is that the content builds off nicely from last year (core 3 at least). In other words, it's been a far smoother transition than it was with GCSE to AS.
Reply 4
im doing Mathematics A2 as well. i would suggest for you to carry on with A2. As long as you can get the mathematical concepts right, you should be doing fine. remember that in maths, there is no substitute to practise.
Reply 5
Original post by Nuvertion
In my case I'm finding A2 a lot easier (OCR) and it looks like everyone else in my class is as well. That might be because most of us are working a bit harder or because our class is smaller but I think the main reason is that the content builds off nicely from last year (core 3 at least). In other words, it's been a far smoother transition than it was with GCSE to AS.

yeah, it's been a far smoother transition.
Original post by Ewanmlg
Hey, looking for advice, should I continue maths through to A2?

What's the point in seeking advice from people who don't know the first thing about you?

Can't you think of anyone better placed to help?

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
a2 maths isn't any harder. I leant all my 3 modules in like a month C3,C4,M1. & mostly because I do further maths too. But I'd suggest you do it as it gives you lots of options in terms of a uni degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe wait till you get your grade?
It depends how you feel about AS. If you were okay with AS, you should be able to pick up A2. Some people hated AS and found it really hard, in that case you should probably drop it because it doesn't get easier. I'm doing A2 OCR MEI and I love A2 maths, I find it more challenging and engaging than AS. But a definite factor will be your AS grade. If you're get below a C it's probably not worth continuing maths as my maths teacher just told people they wouldn't pass it at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Yes I can think of lots of people... But online there are thousands of people who can answer my question unlike about ten people I know who have done maths a2
Reply 11
Original post by tricky jj
Why don't you take a look at the books and test papers? :smile:

Yeah suppose thanks
Original post by Ewanmlg
Yes I can think of lots of people... But online there are thousands of people who can answer my question unlike about ten people I know who have done maths a2

and your teachers of course.......

thing is those 1000's of online people know nothing about you, your aptitude, your results so far, your work ethic, future aspirations, other commitments........ and you've not said anything about them.
Original post by Ewanmlg

Nope you failed that test. Your teachers are ideally placed to advise you.
Original post by Mr M
Nope you failed that test. Your teachers are ideally placed to advise you.

a few of my teachers said i would fail AS further maths yet i scored really well in smc bmo1 and my AS maths and fm modules.
teachers just judge personality not potential as i just messed around in their lessons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why are you deciding whether or not to drop a subject so early?
Original post by physicsmaths
a few of my teachers said i would fail AS further maths yet i scored really well in smc bmo1 and my AS maths and fm modules.
teachers just judge personality not potential as i just messed around in their lessons.

I'm sure they were well aware of your potential. Their remarks obviously gave you the kick up the bum you needed.
Reply 17
Yeah my teachers say if I get the grade I can continue, fair enough you want background but all I really wanted is some experiences from you lot. I want to study either physics, engineering or environmental science at Uni so I need maths, but do you lot enjoy it? How is it compared to c1? I am expected to get a B but don't know if I would get that at A2 and I need a B for Uni. Not really deciding now just wondering

Quick Reply

Latest