The Student Room Group

EPQ

What question could I use for an extended project on the 'euthanasia coaster' or something based on the suicides on Golden Gate Bridge?
Original post by amelimoo
What question could I use for an extended project on the 'euthanasia coaster' or something based on the suicides on Golden Gate Bridge?

This isn't something I think you could make an entire dissertation out of.
If you'd like some guidance on coming up with a question, then I'll need some more information than what your current idea is. Why are you undertaking the project, and what do you want to do at uni?
Reply 2
Original post by H0PEL3SS
If you'd like some guidance on coming up with a question, then I'll need some more information than what your current idea is. Why are you undertaking the project, and what do you want to do at uni?

To be honest it won't help uni course wise as I think I want to go into something biology or geography related but I just can't think of any interesting and not overly researched topics for those subjects, any ideas would really be appreciated!
To be honest it won't help uni course wise as I think I want to go into something biology or geography related but I just can't think of any interesting and not overly researched topics for those subjects, any ideas would really be appreciated!

Going with the morbid questions you initially posed, maybe a look at the legality of euthanasia or assisted suicide?
Even with cliche areas, your question and essay will be very different from others, so it can help with your personal statement when you come to do it as it shows interest in the subject, so don't write off going with a question linked to biology or geography.
Reply 4
Going with the morbid questions you initially posed, maybe a look at the legality of euthanasia or assisted suicide?
Even with cliche areas, your question and essay will be very different from others, so it can help with your personal statement when you come to do it as it shows interest in the subject, so don't write off going with a question linked to biology or geography.

Yeah they weren't supposed to be morbid haha, but all the normal ones I thought of my supervisor/ teacher said I couldn't do because they crossed over with my syllabus' or they were too broad but thanks haha
I'm halfway through the process, so if you need any help, just send me a PM :smile:

It only has to be 5,000 words
Reply 7
I'm halfway through the process, so if you need any help, just send me a PM :smile:

Thank you so much! What's yours on? And can u think of any topics I could do?
Thank you so much! What's yours on? And can u think of any topics I could do?

Mine's on the 1997 East Asian crisis and the IMF.
As to what you could do, I can't tell you. I don't know you personally, or what you're interested in, but I can tell you that it doesn't have to be set in stone. I made a plan initially, including what I wanted to cover, and I changed it as circumstances changed, so don't worry about not having a perfect question yet.

Original post by anonwinner
It only has to be 5,000 words

I'm very much aware of that, but with OP's initial suggestions, I don't think it would be as in depth or as focussed as it needs to be.
Yeah, write about the euthanasia coaster, but what about it? The physics behind it, or the psychology?
Write about suicides on the Golden Gate bridge. Why do it there? Easy access, high probability of success.
And for both, you could write about why someone would go that far to commit suicide, but that's far too broad in scope to write only 5000 words on.
Reply 9
Mine's on the 1997 East Asian crisis and the IMF.
As to what you could do, I can't tell you. I don't know you personally, or what you're interested in, but I can tell you that it doesn't have to be set in stone. I made a plan initially, including what I wanted to cover, and I changed it as circumstances changed, so don't worry about not having a perfect question yet.

I'm very much aware of that, but with OP's initial suggestions, I don't think it would be as in depth or as focussed as it needs to be.
Yeah, write about the euthanasia coaster, but what about it? The physics behind it, or the psychology?
Write about suicides on the Golden Gate bridge. Why do it there? Easy access, high probability of success.
And for both, you could write about why someone would go that far to commit suicide, but that's far too broad in scope to write only 5000 words on.

Oooh that sounds really interesting!

And well I'm interested in ethics, psychology, biology, geography and animal behaviour. Oh and possibly teaching methods as I think I might want to become a teacher but at the same time I was also thinking about joining the RAF
Oooh that sounds really interesting!

And well I'm interested in ethics, psychology, biology, geography and animal behaviour. Oh and possibly teaching methods as I think I might want to become a teacher but at the same time I was also thinking about joining the RAF

Then you have a large area to work from.
Try and work on a list of questions for each of the areas you mentioned, and then do some initial research about each one, which could help you narrow down your list. Ask your teachers too, as they can give you little tips that would help.
I've done my EPQ(Level2 and got a B :frown:)

You can check it out here if you like as an example:

http://www.journeytomedicine.com/#!3dprinting/c1qar
Reply 12
Original post by YounesB
I've done my EPQ(Level2 and got a B :frown:)

You can check it out here if you like as an example:

http://www.journeytomedicine.com/#!3dprinting/c1qar

Ah cool, Thanks!!
Reply 13
Then you have a large area to work from.
Try and work on a list of questions for each of the areas you mentioned, and then do some initial research about each one, which could help you narrow down your list. Ask your teachers too, as they can give you little tips that would help.

Okay i'll ask them thanks!!

Quick Reply

Latest