The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jenkinsear
After reading this I feel incredibly sorry for you. You seem to basically "date" numerous rich men in succession, but none of them sounds as if they want to marry you if you're just jumping between them like no tomorrow.

As for joining gyms to look for men, I think that's quite creepy. What's wrong with just falling in love with whoever you happen to like, why must they be rich? Life must be unfulfiling to care so much about money.

You also have to know if you date these kind of guys who like to buy your attention, you're most likely not the only girl either. Unfortunately money does change people, often not for the better.
Original post by PrincessAlexis
x

I don't agree with what you do and would never do the same myself but you know what, well done on achieving all that. It's morally questionable but I can only congratulate you, this isn't much better than a chav having many babies and relying on the state for decades.

As others have said, you might never find true love but that's not exactly your priority anyway, is it? You know what you want and you've gone for it, well done on that.
After reading this I feel incredibly sorry for you. You seem to basically "date" numerous rich men in succession, but none of them sounds as if they want to marry you if you're just jumping between them like no tomorrow.

As for joining gyms to look for men, I think that's quite creepy. What's wrong with just falling in love with whoever you happen to like, why must they be rich? Life must be unfulfiling to care so much about money.

What's wrong with dating more than one person at a time ?

I'm not exclusive with either of them so it's not like I'm cheating on them.

I don't want to get married till I'm 30ish so what's the big deal?!

Because I'm going to LSE myself. I'll work in banking then I want to go to the USA and get my MBA. If I hope to have a successful financial career is it that ridiculous to want someone who has the same ?!

It's not like I'm going to sit at home I'm ambitious myself and will always work (bar maternity leave).

What's the problem ?!
Go to a Russell Group uni and marry one of them former private school types. They have daddy's connection book, if you can afford private education with hard cash of £10-30k a year over around a 10 year period, you must be doing well.

They'll graduate with jobs lined up in banking, finance or the law or they'll be arty and be able to earn £0 whilst trying to break into those upper-middle class dominated acting/art positions.

Worst comes to worst they'll still inherit daddy's mansion, probably by avoiding inheritance tax at the same time.

It's not hard to find these types, oh and they'll probably be playing some upper-middle class dominated sport taught at school like Rugby, Cricket or Hockey
Lies.

You don't need to be a supermodel to snag a rich husband.

ALL the girls in my circle of friends have found well of S.O's.

They all look normal. A girl who goes to Cambridge or LSE then goes into banking can easily marry a banker (easily) without looking like a supermodel.

I'd know. I don't look like a supermodel but every guy I've dated so far has been well off. My older sister is married to an M.D at UBS who she met at a work event. She was a banker herself.

Most men who have earned their money actually tend to marry women on the same education level as them.

My ex took me to the Goldman Christmas party last year and all the wives of the bankers looked very normal I didn't see any super models. I did however see many women who went to lse, Cambridge who were lawyers and bankers themselves.

Do you know what kind of power a wealthy man has? Most of these men cheat on their wife and only stay in marriage for financial reasons/companionship but no doubt they'll be banging some hot bird/prossie on the side, especially as women go into decline. If you think he's a nice chap with a $400,000 income, earning all those cents just to bang some used up, wilting bag, you're very wrong.

It's in the personality of these guys to only desire the best. You want the best job, the best car, the best sex life. You're not gonna pursue all those other things but only shag your rotting wife.

Truth hurts.
What's wrong with dating more than one person at a time ?

I think you're deluding yourself that you're actually "dating" them if you are getting through that many. To me dating someone is a serious thing and it's very unlikely that I'd meet more than 1 person at the same time who was a realistic possibility. Could I find some men to take me out to dinner so I feel special/important/get free stuff? Absolutely. But that wouldn't be dating to a lot of people.

I'm not exclusive with either of them so it's not like I'm cheating on them.

Effectively you're their sack of meat. Well one of them anyway...

I don't want to get married till I'm 30ish so what's the big deal?!

You blindly assume that it'll all just slot in to place when you decide it's time. For the vast majority of people they cannot plan these things, but I think I'm reasonable in saying if people adopt your approach to "dating" and men the odds of them actually settling down are minimal.

Because I'm going to LSE myself. I'll work in banking then I want to go to the USA and get my MBA.

This is very presumptuous. Banking is very competitive. Why will you be guaranteed success in something many people from good Universities struggle to get into/stay in?

If I hope to have a successful financial career is it that ridiculous to want someone who has the same ?!

1) They actually have the successful career, you don't. You're not the same.
2) Success comes in many forms. Seeing money as a method of identifying success is deeply flawed- most of the world's foremost scientists and social reformers were deeply unsuccessful on your methodology.

It's not like I'm going to sit at home I'm ambitious myself and will always work (bar maternity leave).

You say that now. Your view may change.

What's the problem ?!

You have a disturbingly materialistic, man-eating, gold-digger approach to life and relationships. That I find quite worrying, and I really feel so sorry for you.
I don't need my man to be rich. Just stable just financially and I hate being dependent on someonelse especially for money so if I was you I'd be making my own money first.
Original post by wannabeaca
Do you know what kind of power a wealthy man has? Most of these men cheat on their wife and only stay in marriage for financial reasons/companionship but no doubt they'll be banging some hot bird/prossie on the side, especially as women go into decline. If you think he's a nice chap with a $400,000 income, earning all those cents just to bang some used up, wilting bag, you're very wrong.

I remember reading a family law article a while ago which claimed that the likelihood of a partner cheating increases massively if they earn over £60,000.
Original post by Blaq_widow
You also have to know if you date these kind of guys who like to buy your attention, you're most likely not the only girl either. Unfortunately money does change people, often not for the better.

Very true, I think a lot of naive young women let themselves get used in these situations really.
Original post by tehFrance
Right, so you only date those from GS, UBS, CS et al? I presume you wouldn't go for those from the lower tier banks like Lloyds :tongue: I do understand now where you're coming from, I was presumptuous in thinking you were going for men your own age, as you're going for older men then what you say is indeed achievable.

Berlin should be nice, I'm going for NYE, I don't need a ticket as proof :smile: I do wish my SO would understand my work, I do something similar to your guy although at a low ranking firm from Hong Kong although it's about the experience for me (I left my degree but am doing it part time now) also the money is better than other places for the work I do :tongue:

The whole super model advice is based on what I know and grew up with and as you said, trust fund babies are the ones that go for them, I myself went for those women until my SO and I got together.

What members clubs and gyms do you go to? I sometimes go to Eight Bank & Moorgate, the rooftop terrace :colone: and The Caledonian Club, I would add I not a member at either although I would seriously consider Eight membership just for the rooftop terrace :smile:

3 Guys at once :eek: :tongue:

I avoid trust fund babies like a plague. I much prefer the guy who was good at maths and ended up at JP than the boy who is riding on his parents inheritance. Trust fund babies tend to lack ambition and aren't particularly intelligent so it makes sense that they go for equally dumb girls.

I go to Loulous, Annabels, Mason House, Shoreditch House. I might go Maddox and Boujis if someone I know gets a table but Loulous and Annabels are good. Roof Gardens Is cool :smile:

We are on the same page trust me. I know all about the St Tropez and Riviera whores still clubbing in 30s trying to find a rich guy. I have no intention of living off someone, I simply have high ambitions for myself and want a man who can be ahead of me.

The girls on yachts in St Tropez every summer rarely marry those guys. They use em and dump them.
(edited 9 years ago)
I remember reading a family law article a while ago which claimed that the likelihood of a partner cheating increases massively if they earn over £60,000.

It's so true. The same when girls want the tall guys, guys want the young girls. And when you can woo them with your high social status of having a high-paying job, you're able to pursue those girls like there's no tomorrow. All those 'long' hours at the office, you sure he's in the office? Or round some young tart's house having the best shag since last week.

Good-looking or even average-good looking girls can be picky when young but once they reach 30 and think they're in some stable marriage, but once a guy has his earning power, the tables turn and he can be the one that's selective. Of course, many women by this stage turn a blind eye because a) they normally have kids by now, b) they're loving the money c) despite their fears, they probably know their looks have gone/are going and they may not find another man as things get very competitive for women at this age.

16-25 things are tougher for guys, especially shorter ones or the less cocky guys, once 25 hits single girls start lowering their expectations somewhat imo.

It's in the personality of these guys to only desire the best. You want the best job, the best car, the best sex life. You're not gonna pursue all those other things but only shag your rotting wife.

Truth hurts.

Earning 6 figures in London or New York isn't 'wealthy'.

I'm genuinely confused where you people live. I went to a private school and 6 figures is a normal wage for people in 30k a year schools.

I'm not looking for a millionaire or rich guy just a guy who earns 6 figures.

I understand if you lived in the suburbs but 6 figures in London or NYC (the two places I've lived) isn't as much as you're making it out to be.
I think you're deluding yourself that you're actually "dating" them if you are getting through that many. To me dating someone is a serious thing and it's very unlikely that I'd meet more than 1 person at the same time who was a realistic possibility. Could I find some men to take me out to dinner so I feel special/important/get free stuff? Absolutely. But that wouldn't be dating to a lot of people.

Effectively you're their sack of meat. Well one of them anyway...

You blindly assume that it'll all just slot in to place when you decide it's time. For the vast majority of people they cannot plan these things, but I think I'm reasonable in saying if people adopt your approach to "dating" and men the odds of them actually settling down are minimal.

This is very presumptuous. Banking is very competitive. Why will you be guaranteed success in something many people from good Universities struggle to get into/stay in?

1) They actually have the successful career, you don't. You're not the same.
2) Success comes in many forms. Seeing money as a method of identifying success is deeply flawed- most of the world's foremost scientists and social reformers were deeply unsuccessful on your methodology.

You say that now. Your view may change.

You have a disturbingly materialistic, man-eating, gold-digger approach to life and relationships. That I find quite worrying, and I really feel so sorry for you.

Sigh.

I spent last summer at BAML.

I'll be fine.

I'm not intimidated by banking.

My sister is a banker. My brother is at a hedge fund. Both went to Imperial and are doing very well.

As per my sig I'm going to LSE. Almost everyone in my social circle who has graduated is in finance. It's not as scary as you guys are making it out to be.

I did econ, maths, further maths as a levels and everyone in my econ class who went on to do Econ shock horror want to do into finance.

You have to understand that this is what I know. I'm sorry if I wouldn't consider someone who earns a low wage but I have a lifestyle which my parents have provided for me which I hope to give to my children.

I'm not looking for a millionaire just a guy who earns 6 figures which in my social circle there is a great abundance of.

Truth hurts.

Broke men cheat too.

If cheating is the only deterrent women have to not marry a man who a good job they are very misguided.

Bob on welfare cheats too.
Go to a Russell Group uni and marry one of them former private school types. They have daddy's connection book, if you can afford private education with hard cash of £10-30k a year over around a 10 year period, you must be doing well.

They'll graduate with jobs lined up in banking, finance or the law or they'll be arty and be able to earn £0 whilst trying to break into those upper-middle class dominated acting/art positions.

Worst comes to worst they'll still inherit daddy's mansion, probably by avoiding inheritance tax at the same time.

It's not hard to find these types, oh and they'll probably be playing some upper-middle class dominated sport taught at school like Rugby, Cricket or Hockey

THANK YOU!!!!!

I went to a private school and I'm part of a tennis club and I meet guys like this alllllll the time.

It's

Not

Hard!
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
I don't agree with what you do and would never do the same myself but you know what, well done on achieving all that. It's morally questionable but I can only congratulate you, this isn't much better than a chav having many babies and relying on the state for decades.

As others have said, you might never find true love but that's not exactly your priority anyway, is it? You know what you want and you've gone for it, well done on that.

I'll find true love :smile:

My ex who I was with for 3 years treated me well and was well off. I loved him.

Most of the guys I go for a normal guys who just happened to do well for themselves and got good jobs, they're not unicorns or aliens. They're as easy to fall for as men with lower incomes.

I'm genuinely confused where you people live. I went to a private school and 6 figures is a normal wage for people in 30k a year schools.

I understand if you lived in the suburbs but 6 figures in London or NYC (the two places I've lived) isn't as much as you're making it out to be.

If you're both intent on making six figures then it will be a massive drain on both of your time and there won't be much of a relationship to speak of. There has to be some give somewhere; if you're both working late, on call and ultimately stressed out how are you going to be there for each other? You'll both be so career focused you'll be coming second at best. Even as you're speaking here you seem to pay little interest in the emotional aspect of a relationship. It just seems like another 'accomplishment' to tick off on your list. I may be wrong but if so, I'd reconsider your priorities.

You're telling me $400,000 or £257,100.80 a year would not put you in the bracket of 'wealthy'? What bloody planet do you live on?

That's roughly £147,000.00 after tax in the UK. Let's say three kids, you spend £30k a year on education, you still have £117,000.00, then you've got your mortgage, lets say you spend £50,000 a year paying that off because you're minted and got a £1m mortgage (never normally the case with the rich but for arguments sake). So that leaves £67,000.00 for clothes, food, holidays.. are you nuts?
You're telling me $400,000 or £257,100.80 a year would not put you in the bracket of 'wealthy'? What bloody planet do you live on?

That's roughly £147,000.00 after tax in the UK. Let's say three kids, you spend £30k a year on education, you still have £117,000.00, then you've got your mortgage, lets say you spend £50,000 a year paying that off because you're minted and got a £1m mortgage (never normally the case with the rich but for arguments sake). So that leaves £67,000.00 for clothes, food, holidays.. are you nuts?

I'd put it under well off, wealthy to me would be millions.
Original post by Blaq_widow
If you're both intent on making six figures then it will be a massive drain on both of your time and there won't be much of a relationship to speak of. There has to be some give somewhere; if you're both working late, on call and ultimately stressed out how are you going to be there for each other? You'll both be so career focused you'll be coming second at best. Even as you're speaking here you seem to pay little interest in the emotional aspect of a relationship. It just seems like another 'accomplishment' to tick off on your list. I may be wrong but if so, I'd reconsider your priorities.

Thanks for the advice. I still have time before I start thinking about my husband I'm sure once I hit my mid twenties my views may change :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending