The Student Room Group

2015 Consulting graduate applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by huhdurrrr
Emailed me at like 9pm the other Sunday, I hope the blokes paid overtime.

I know! And I really doubt it! What service line you apply for?
Original post by wisepirate
Graduate. Feeling exactly the same in honesty but after not hearing anything after 3 months I suppose I can cling onto some very vague hope...

This is what the message read:

Dear Candidate
Thank you for your patience with the recruitment process so far.

Please note that due to the high volumes of applications currently in our recruitment process we are looking to arrange your interview as soon as possible but we would like to make you aware that there may be a potential delay.

Rest assured you are very much an active candidate and we hope to schedule your interview very soon.Once again we would like to thank you for the time and effort you have put into the selection process to date and we will be in touch in the new year with an update.

Have a lovely holidays!

Cheers for that, I guess it's just a matter of having fingers crossed and hoping they'll get back to us! Best of luck.
I found out today I'm through to the final round interview for Public Sector Audit at Deloitte. Does anybody have any idea of the pass rates for this stage?

I recall when I was at a PwC assessment centre I was informed that its something like 70% of people who get to the final round end up getting the job. I don't know if this is correct though - they hadn't been working there for long, and even if true it may not be the case for other Big 4 firms.
Original post by Super Cicero
I found out today I'm through to the final round interview for Public Sector Audit at Deloitte. Does anybody have any idea of the pass rates for this stage?

I recall when I was at a PwC assessment centre I was informed that its something like 70% of people who get to the final round end up getting the job. I don't know if this is correct though - they hadn't been working there for long, and even if true it may not be the case for other Big 4 firms.

I imagine it's going to be around that - they're not going to waste the partners' time with candidates they're not seriously considering. As far as I'm aware partner interviews with big 4 are a final check to make sure you'll fit and that you have a brain - they may even sell you the firm at this stage. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 824
Original post by Super Cicero

Well done! The pass rate is quite high so you're most likely going to get the position.

I'd actually focus on asking questions related to the role at this point if I were you. Ask questions on the specific auditing teams you'll be placed in / if you have a choice in this. Also ask questions for yourself to access how well Deloitte will align with your personality. They already know that you're good for them, but you don't know if its the other way around as well. You can ask what kind of study help / study groups that are available for your ACA exams, how promotion is handled after you qualify, etc etc.

Not only will this help you form a picture of the firm (which is important if you end up with multiple firms), but it'll also help you stand out as a candidate and a forward thinking human being.

Best of luck =)
Reply 825
Hi guys, how long after the online tests did you hear from Oliver Wyman? Took mine a week ago and still no news..
Original post by rextra
Hi guys, how long after the online tests did you hear from Oliver Wyman? Took mine a week ago and still no news..

They told me on Xmas day!

Go and enjoy your holidays and ring them next week!
Reply 827
Anyone heard from EY after the partner interview? Not holding out much hope as mine was on the 23rd and they usually tell you the same day
Wish they'd just hurry up and tell me that I didn't get it!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TC2016
Anyone heard from EY after the partner interview? Not holding out much hope as mine was on the 23rd and they usually tell you the same day

Posted from TSR Mobile

I heard one day after. But obviously your interview has been around the christmas period, so im assuming will take a lot longer. I wouldn't worry about it. I'd guess it'll be in the first week of January you hear. :smile:
Original post by TC2016

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ditto Consultingstude. In likeliness they may have had half day/ their office party and as everyone is off from 24th - 4th January (at least most office based jobs - what with people taking extra leave either side) I'd give them a few days before you give up hope. Some people have heart up to 2 weeks after so be patient :smile:
Reply 830
Original post by wisepirate
Ditto Consultingstude. In likeliness they may have had half day/ their office party and as everyone is off from 24th - 4th January (at least most office based jobs - what with people taking extra leave either side) I'd give them a few days before you give up hope. Some people have heart up to 2 weeks after so be patient :smile:

Thank you I'll still keep a bit of optimism then!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know much about Newton Europe? Do they just work on the operation side of things?
Reply 832
Is anyone still waiting to hear from Oliver Wyman's London office after doing their tests for the 14th Dec deadline?
Reply 833
Original post by Michael XYZ
Does anyone know much about Newton Europe? Do they just work on the operation side of things?

Predominately they do strategy too but not their focus great firm with a great culture only catch is they love engineers of any kind or similar highly quantitative degree. Also heavy heavy Oxbridge focus. Their online testing round is very different and you'd better know basic physics principles aka alevel standard maths mechanics before you try!

Original post by icl1991
Predominately they do strategy too but not their focus great firm with a great culture only catch is they love engineers of any kind or similar highly quantitative degree. Also heavy heavy Oxbridge focus. Their online testing round is very different and you'd better know basic physics principles aka alevel standard maths mechanics before you try!

I don't know where you've heard that they do strategy... It's a mixture, projects are very long, they spend all their time on project site Mon-Fri (or at least the consultants I met did), walking through changes alongside the client.

Yes they like quant degrees, being originally focused on hiring engineering/maths students but they are now expanding out. There are different test papers for science and non-science (includes biology) students so knowledge of physics and mechanics is not expected unless it is part of your degree. But yes the tests are very difficult mostly due to time.

Culture is great. Friendliest people out of any firm I've met. They have monthly (might be longer, I forget) catch-ups where everyone comes back to one place and founders are there too.
So they don't do ANY strategy?

I have an AC with them coming up but not entirely sure how to handle an "operations" case study if that's what they'll ask. Only really ever prep'd for strategy-type case studies.

I have an AC with them coming up but not entirely sure how to handle an "operations" case study if that's what they'll ask. Only really ever prep'd for strategy-type case studies.

If you're not from a Sciencey background, can you confirm that the Maths test didn't have any mechanics in it?
Original post by zxh800
If you're not from a Sciencey background, can you confirm that the Maths test didn't have any mechanics in it?

I can't even remember taking it.

But, because I passed and it wasn't memorable, I'm going to just say it was rather easy and thus didn't have any mechanics or anything silly like that.
Original post by zxh800

I can't even remember taking it.
But, because I passed and it wasn't memorable, I'm going to just say it was rather easy and thus didn't have any mechanics or anything silly like that.

I have just completed the tests and can confirm that there are two portions - one technical, which is ridiculously impossible without knowledge of other disciplines including Mechanics, Electrical and Civil. The other was math, which was probably one of the easiest tests I've taken. The catch is that there are 38 questions to answer in 12 minutes.

Despite being from an engineering background, I found it impossible to answer any of the technical questions except for two. I could identify that they were fairly straightforward and easy, but the range of concepts needed was large and preparation would be too extensive. I definitely do not hopes for this application!

There is SOME but more focused on implementation. Have you read their case studies online... will probably give you a better picture of what they do.

I would ask about interview format/what the assessment involves if you are unsure.

Original post by zxh800

It has no mechanics, apart from maybe some questions involving knowing the formula for watts iirc. Maths is easy, its just arithmetic. The reasoning/problem solving is quite tricky, one involved a map of 27 points and and shortest distance from two points.

(I did the paper version onsite though so online may be easier)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending