The Student Room Group

For art students applying for universities in 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by liviegrace
Hi Charlottei,

I'm in my first year at Falmouth University and I study Photography :smile: I felt like I needed to reply to your message, even though I'm not studying Graphic Design, as I looked at Falmouth, AUB and Norwich too!

For me, I was personally looking at living on campus within my first year as I liked knowing I had everything there around me that I needed (like the campus shop, the food hall, lecture theatres, the library and much more). It takes me around 5 minutes to walk to lectures in the mornings which is great! You don't have that privilege with AUB and Norwich.

As Falmouth is a creative arts university, you want the campus to look artistic, right? I don't think I could live in a more artistic place. Cornwall is absolutely beautiful and is well known for it's amazing beaches and areas - there are so many places that can inspire you! Also, I'm from just outside London so I have noticed that the train and bus prices are really cheep which is good if you want to go to a different location. To get into Falmouth, it's around 10 minutes on a bus (which only costs a £1) and it's a short 5-10 minute walk into Penryn.

With your portfolio, just gather all your favourite work together! All Falmouth want from you is passion towards what you're good at! I'm not going to lie to you, I was so nervous at my interview but everyone was so nice and so easy to get on with! I felt really comfortable talking to the lecturers. Also, you sit with other students who are going to be feeling the same as you - in fact, I'm still friends with some of the people who I met at my interview!

I know I'm going to be saying how amazing Falmouth is as I go there but it really is such a great place (and of course number one arts university in the UK)! But yes. Good luck with everything and I hope you get to where you want to go! You can always message me if you want to know more about the university, I'll be happy to help :smile:

Livie.

Hi Livie!

Thank you so much for your post. Seriously, it was so helpful to read - really helped ease a lot of my worries! I love how everything seems so close by, I know at some unis you have to travel quite a distance to get to lectures, which is nice to know I can avoid.

I just wanted to check - what campus are you at? I know there's one closer the Falmouth buildings and then the student village in Penryn?

Ah yeah, when I went down for the open day, the location was amazing. I'd heard it was a beautiful place, but wow, it really does hit you when you get down there! I'm glad it doesn't wear off, and the transport links are comforting too. Can't complain about a £1 bus ride, haha.

Thanks for the advice :smile:
My portfolio is coming along now (slowly)... I'm hoping they'll see how passionate I am, it's just the quality of my work which I'm not sure about. It scares me that art subjects are so subjective! That's nice that you're not sat on your own, though, that could be terrifying.

Ah thanks again for the good luck message. :biggrin: I'll definitely be in touch if there's anything I think of!
Original post by charlottei
Hi Livie!

Thank you so much for your post. Seriously, it was so helpful to read - really helped ease a lot of my worries! I love how everything seems so close by, I know at some unis you have to travel quite a distance to get to lectures, which is nice to know I can avoid.

I just wanted to check - what campus are you at? I know there's one closer the Falmouth buildings and then the student village in Penryn?

Ah yeah, when I went down for the open day, the location was amazing. I'd heard it was a beautiful place, but wow, it really does hit you when you get down there! I'm glad it doesn't wear off, and the transport links are comforting too. Can't complain about a £1 bus ride, haha.

Thanks for the advice :smile:
My portfolio is coming along now (slowly)... I'm hoping they'll see how passionate I am, it's just the quality of my work which I'm not sure about. It scares me that art subjects are so subjective! That's nice that you're not sat on your own, though, that could be terrifying.

Ah thanks again for the good luck message. :biggrin: I'll definitely be in touch if there's anything I think of!

No worries at all, I'm glad I could help you! :smile: Everything is really close by and thats probably what I love most about the university. I'm on the main campus in Penryn (where everything is based, including the student village) but I have heard that the Falmouth Campus is absolutely amazing too and so creative!

The area really doesn't ware off at all. In fact, I'm at home for the Christmas holidays at the moment and I have honestly missed university so much since I've come back - all I've wanted to do is go back to Cornwall! :frown:

I'm glad your portfolio is coming along now! If you need me to help you with it at all, don't hesitate to contact me and I'll try and help as much as I possibly can! I was worried about the artistic subjects being so competitive but then the university will see something in you that they love and then you realise that everyone's work is different and you're there because you can do it and you just need to be confident in yourself and your work!

Again, no worries at all! I bet you'll do amazingly well and try not to work yourself up too much about it as everyone is in the same situation as you! Good luck xox
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by liviegrace
No worries at all, I'm glad I could help you! :smile: Everything is really close by and thats probably what I love most about the university. I'm on the main campus in Penryn (where everything is based, including the student village) but I have heard that the Falmouth Campus is absolutely amazing too and so creative!

The area really doesn't ware off at all. In fact, I'm at home for the Christmas holidays at the moment and I have honestly missed university so much since I've come back - all I've wanted to do is go back to Cornwall! :frown:

I'm glad your portfolio is coming along now! If you need me to help you with it at all, don't hesitate to contact me and I'll try and help as much as I possibly can! I was worried about the artistic subjects being so competitive but then the university will see something in you that they love and then you realise that everyone's work is different and you're there because you can do it and you just need to be confident in yourself and your work!

Again, no worries at all! I bet you'll do amazingly well and try not to work yourself up too much about it as everyone is in the same situation as you! Good luck xox

Yeah, when I visited I felt myself leaning towards Penryn immediately. I really liked the student village atmosphere.

I definitely will, thanks so much. :smile: I know... I just hope they can see that passion come through in my work! I'm making new pieces all the time so hopefully that should show my dedication.

Ah thanks again! I'll keep that in mind :biggrin:
Hi guys sorry if this is a little bit unrelated but I've applied to the AUB commercial photography course but have not heard anything back since I sent them my portfolio.
I was just wondering if any of you knew when AUB gets back to people about interviews? Thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I sent off my UCAS a couple weeks ago. I've applied for UAL, MMU, Bucks New and Coventry. Bucks New was my 'safe' option and they sent me an invitation for an interview on the same day that I applied. I don't know what to think of that, if they maybe just liked my personal statement or if theres a lack of applicants this year...I still ended up applying for Graphic Design(especially for UAL) even though my work is still mainly illustrative. I think if I do get offered an interview, it will be a good way for my work to be assessed and then there is still the option I can be referred to the Illustration course, which I'll happily accept.
Original post by IzKujore
I sent off my UCAS a couple weeks ago. I've applied for UAL, MMU, Bucks New and Coventry. Bucks New was my 'safe' option and they sent me an invitation for an interview on the same day that I applied. I don't know what to think of that, if they maybe just liked my personal statement or if theres a lack of applicants this year...I still ended up applying for Graphic Design(especially for UAL) even though my work is still mainly illustrative. I think if I do get offered an interview, it will be a good way for my work to be assessed and then there is still the option I can be referred to the Illustration course, which I'll happily accept.

Since it's all about the portfolio for art, they interview everybody so they can see it, if they don't operate a digital portfolio shortlisting system which I assume they don't at Bucks. They need to get on with interviewing people - there's no shortcut when the work has to be seen. There isn't a UKCAT type test for art.
Original post by india.mercer
Hi guys sorry if this is a little bit unrelated but I've applied to the AUB commercial photography course but have not heard anything back since I sent them my portfolio.
I was just wondering if any of you knew when AUB gets back to people about interviews? Thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a good question. Does anyone know how long we have to wait for results? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

'I've applied at AUB Commercial Photography too but they didn't ask for me to send off a portfolio (slightly worrying) I've had an email saying they've received my application and have given me a log on code and password for their 'My Application' page
Original post by ItsCharlotte
'I've applied at AUB Commercial Photography too but they didn't ask for me to send off a portfolio (slightly worrying) I've had an email saying they've received my application and have given me a log on code and password for their 'My Application' page

Yeah I got the My Application sent to me too but it's been a while since I've heard anything... I've seen that some other people applying to AUB (for different courses) have already received interviews but I'm trying not to freak out about it haha...
Have you received any other offers from other unis yet?
Reply 109
Hi!

I'm applying to Chelsea, CSM and Cass for Fine Art, then Camberwell for drawing and Goldsmiths for Design. I haven't actually been to any open days, but I've visited most of the colleges or have questioned friends from them :smile: Is any one else applying for the same schools?
Reply 110
Hey I have applied to CSM and the request a 'mini-portfolio' of max 10 works and a full portfolio for the interview. Does anyone know how many works they request for the full one ? 12-24 ? And what dimensions, I was thinking A3/A2?
Hi,
I believe the full portfolio size and quantity of the work is left to your own judgement. The size should be anywhere from A3-A1 and some sketchbooks would be great too.
Reply 112
Hey thanks a lot !!
No problem!
Original post by LiliXX
Hey I have applied to CSM and the request a 'mini-portfolio' of max 10 works and a full portfolio for the interview. Does anyone know how many works they request for the full one ? 12-24 ? And what dimensions, I was thinking A3/A2?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=974132
Hi guys. I was asked to send a link to my online portfolio by AUB. I am an international applicant for Commercial photography and as I have already sent them the link I am wondering when I can expect their reply. The website says my portfolio is being assessed and I'm getting nervous about the results. Does anyone know how long usually AUB keeps people waiting?
Original post by Cordeliatte
Hi guys. I was asked to send a link to my online portfolio by AUB. I am an international applicant for Commercial photography and as I have already sent them the link I am wondering when I can expect their reply. The website says my portfolio is being assessed and I'm getting nervous about the results. Does anyone know how long usually AUB keeps people waiting?

Hey! I'm applying as an international student for the same course too (: I was also asked for my online portfolio... I applied a while ago and it still says my application is being assessed so don't worry.
I've seen some other people that have applied to other courses at AUB already receive interviews but I think it really depends on the course. It can take longer for more popular courses too...
Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 117
Thanks !! That helped a lot... and for the online one do I have to photoshop final piece and development into one image since they only want ten? Or do you think they would accept it if I just labeled them stating that they belong to the same piece.
Hey! I'm applying as an international student for the same course too (: I was also asked for my online portfolio... I applied a while ago and it still says my application is being assessed so don't worry.
I've seen some other people that have applied to other courses at AUB already receive interviews but I think it really depends on the course. It can take longer for more popular courses too...
Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's why I am wondering whether they will keep us waiting till I don't know....March? The deadline for me for providing the link was March. I sent it 2 weeks ago so it is not such a long period of time but I really would like to know sooner if I get a rejection or place as I got three other offers but obviously AUB is my top1. I keep refreshing both Track and their website hahaha. And good luck for you too
Original post by Cordeliatte
That's why I am wondering whether they will keep us waiting till I don't know....March? The deadline for me for providing the link was March. I sent it 2 weeks ago so it is not such a long period of time but I really would like to know sooner if I get a rejection or place as I got three other offers but obviously AUB is my top1. I keep refreshing both Track and their website hahaha. And good luck for you too

Yeah I have no clue either... My UCAS track says that they have until 7th of May to respond to my application... But I seriously hope they reply soon! I'm going crazy waiting haha...
Did you have to do interviews for the other three universities? What kind of questions were asked?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest