The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Ah sorry you mentioned that this is for the next stage following e-tray exercise so I assumed it was for the assessment centre. I did not attend the orientation session so wouldn't know. Apologies for confusion.
Reply 1541
Original post by lilys
On a separate note: had anyone successful at FSAC been contacted by a department yet? Or maybe someone remembers from previous threads at what point approximately it used to happen in the past?

Contacted by my first choice department about a week or so ago, I'm on the economic analyst stream if that helps. I imagine that different departments are quicker or slower depending on certain things, for some reason my email from the GES said that my department would contact me in a few days/weeks but they beat them to it.

As for dress code, personally I wore a suit for the FSAC. For the orientation I just went in casual clothes, black jeans jumper parka etc, as I go to uni in London and wanted to go library after. Didn't feel too out of place but it's your choice really. They won't judge or care too much but I was the only one in casual clothes, everybody else came in a suit or similar.
Hi guys, thanks for the advise!

And Lucy- I just re-checked incase, and I did mention it was for the orientation session (in the original post 1542):smile: but thanks nevertheless!
Reply 1543
Original post by ailss
Are others still waiting to receive the parts of the checks we get posted - the disclosure check etc. to send them all away together? Also, is there a cut off date for posting this? Thanks x

Hi,
Do they ask for employer's references from all past employers ? Also do they ask to get references from past employers or tell us get them. I am a bit anxious about this as I have 6 past employers over the past 15 years. Please can you shed some light on this.
Thanks
Original post by lucy_sky
Ah sorry you mentioned that this is for the next stage following e-tray exercise so I assumed it was for the assessment centre. I did not attend the orientation session so wouldn't know. Apologies for confusion.

It's okay thanks for helping :smile:
It's to cover the last 3 years. You give them the contact details for your employers and they contact them regarding a reference but they advise you to contact them first to make sure the contact details are correct and make them aware they will receive something.
Does anyone know if you get assistance when moving to London? (Assuming you are successful)
Original post by madl24903
Does anyone know if you get assistance when moving to London? (Assuming you are successful)

Afraid not. Although you could always ask for your details to be shared shared with other new comers to organise house shares.
Well, I'm out. I heard last week I didn't pass the e-tray and was of course crushed. I asked straight away, though, for some feedback on my results and they came back to me today: I scored better than 95% in both numerical and verbal tests, but only 58% in the situational judgement and 55% on the e-tray. I was amber-banded after the online assessments too, so it really does show they take the situational judgement one seriously!

In the end, I'm happier now, anyway. I doubt I'll apply again next year, but would like to. I must say, the people that run the scheme are very helpful and the process itself was kind of exciting! My results have given me new hope too...I think I'll stick them sonewhere on my CV! ;-)

Good luck to all you that have made it through.

If it's the same as last year, you should get financial assistance on any move.
Original post by GManTheGMan

Oh awesome!

Do you know how much?
Hi, I'll check with the Facebook team in the new year how much detail we can give on the contractual arrangements, but it was and is definitely sufficient. Finding a flat is trickier...
Original post by kat.lev
Congrats! That's nice to hear.. :smile:

The FSAC info booklet is now available on the portal.
Maps & Forms > Download Forms > FSAC Guide.

It should answer most of your queries!

18.03.14, Fast Stream Assessment Centre event date. What's yours?
Passed the e tray for DaT and have the assessment centre to look forward to!

Apologies if this has been asked before; do DaT fast streamers have to stay in digital and technology roles after they get a grade 6/7 job? I'm asking because I would love to do it for 5/6 years but after that I would like to do a more general policy job.

Any useful resources about what life as a DaT fast streamer is like?

Thanks
Once you leave the scheme, you can apply for any job you like.

DaT jobs vary widely between technical/project-related/policy etc. Currently you undertake 4 6-month placements (including one outside government) and then return to one of those departments for a year. There is an optional 4th year for trainees with identified leadership potential. Currently those finishing after 3 years go into an SEO role, and those finishing after 4 years go into a grade 7 role.
Seeing as my orientation is towards the end of January I would estimate that my FSAC day may be in February at the latest?

Could anyone that had an orientation day shed some light as to how long the dates were in-between the orientation and actual FSAC? Many thanks!
Original post by GManTheGMan

Oh awesome!

Do you know how much?

To my knowledge there is limited assistance for the *first* placement - unless the employee is bound in to contractual living arrangements (such as having a mortgage in place prior to joining the scheme).
Original post by sempitern
To my knowledge there is limited assistance for the *first* placement - unless the employee is bound in to contractual living arrangements (such as having a mortgage in place prior to joining the scheme).

That wasn't how it worked this year. The only issues as far as I'm aware is that costs couldn't be paid in advance for the first placement, and that there is no loan to cover the deposit for the first placement.
Then I stand corrected. Though I was talking about Travel and Subsistence rather than an advance. I didn't join the scheme so I only comment from what friends and colleagues say to me over beer :-)
Reply 1559
Original post by fleabag23
Unsuccessful at etray. Bit gutted but I have 3 kids including a 1 year old so enough to keep me distracted this week while the disappointment sets in...good luck to those still waiting!

Keep trying. I failed the e tray last year but was successful at it this time round. Sometimes an extra years experience is beneficial. I hope you do try again next year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending