The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Marie_King
Does money matter in relationships? Life in the UK can be expensive and from a capitalist point would be beneficial to have a rich boyfriend?

Money is sort of important in a stabilisation kind of way, you need it to live and stuff, however if you were with a rich man for the reason that he was purely rich and he were to lose that money for any reason you are stuck with someone who you don't like. So you have to go with your heart and work from there.
Original post by PrincessAlexis
What's wrong with dating more than one person at a time ?

I'm not exclusive with either of them so it's not like I'm cheating on them.

I don't want to get married till I'm 30ish so what's the big deal?!

Because I'm going to LSE myself. I'll work in banking then I want to go to the USA and get my MBA. If I hope to have a successful financial career is it that ridiculous to want someone who has the same ?!

It's not like I'm going to sit at home I'm ambitious myself and will always work (bar maternity leave).

What's the problem ?!

interesting assumption, care to share cv detailing previous ib experience that makes you so comfortable working in ib already and getting you interviews?
Original post by wannabeaca
You're telling me $400,000 or £257,100.80 a year would not put you in the bracket of 'wealthy'? What bloody planet do you live on?

That's roughly £147,000.00 after tax in the UK. Let's say three kids, you spend £30k a year on education, you still have £117,000.00, then you've got your mortgage, lets say you spend £50,000 a year paying that off because you're minted and got a £1m mortgage (never normally the case with the rich but for arguments sake). So that leaves £67,000.00 for clothes, food, holidays.. are you nuts?

i never thought of it like that, holy ****... my maths is so poor lol, two young 20 somethings in london in finance could be earning that combined easily, and thats sick lol
Thanks for the advice. I still have time before I start thinking about my husband I'm sure once I hit my mid twenties my views may change :smile:

No worries. It's good to have a plan so long as it's flexible to life's changes. Don't want to*discourage a girl with ambition at the end of the day.
Do you know what kind of power a wealthy man has? Most of these men cheat on their wife and only stay in marriage for financial reasons/companionship but no doubt they'll be banging some hot bird/prossie on the side, especially as women go into decline. If you think he's a nice chap with a $400,000 income, earning all those cents just to bang some used up, wilting bag, you're very wrong.

It's in the personality of these guys to only desire the best. You want the best job, the best car, the best sex life. You're not gonna pursue all those other things but only shag your rotting wife.

Truth hurts.

does she sound like she gives a toss what the guy does lol? or what he offers? most trophy wives are in that position, they dont leave because they get dollar/pound bills in their bank account to make the cheating ok
I avoid trust fund babies like a plague. I much prefer the guy who was good at maths and ended up at JP than the boy who is riding on his parents inheritance. Trust fund babies tend to lack ambition and aren't particularly intelligent so it makes sense that they go for equally dumb girls.

I go to Loulous, Annabels, Mason House, Shoreditch House. I might go Maddox and Boujis if someone I know gets a table but Loulous and Annabels are good. Roof Gardens Is cool :smile:

We are on the same page trust me. I know all about the St Tropez and Riviera whores still clubbing in 30s trying to find a rich guy. I have no intention of living off someone, I simply have high ambitions for myself and want a man who can be ahead of me.

The girls on yachts in St Tropez every summer rarely marry those guys. They use em and dump them.

Being part of the trust fund baby crowd, formerly part of that crowd, I side with you in avoiding them as they do lack a lot. If it wasn't for my first, and last, failed attempt at uni I would still be with them but it was a wake up call for me and now I work hard and study alongside.

Shoreditch House is amazing, I have been to a couple of events there although I can't join as I don't think anyone I know is a member :s-smilie: I have also been to Boujis although the one in Hong Kong, if the London one is anything like the Hong Kong one then I really must make an effort to go :colone:

That's true, and it's good to hear you want to make your own money too rather than leeching off the gentleman you're with :smile:
Original post by NathanW18
Well, good luck with that.

If you're a 10/10 and suck a good dick, you'd be in with a shout.

loool! smh what kinda detail is that pahaha
Original post by welcometoib
i never thought of it like that, holy ****... my maths is so poor lol, two young 20 somethings in london in finance could be earning that combined easily, and thats sick lol

Yep.

Two associates in M&A in their 20s can make that combined easily.

200k a year seems like a lot till you break it down.
Yep.

Two associates in M&A in their 20s can make that combined easily.

200k a year seems like a lot till you break it down.

hmm. I will be honest because it may also apply to me, I would be fine as long as you earnt near the same as me, IF same division and around same age, i dont like the idea of age gaps.

Im assuming youre 18-19 if you havent started lse yet? If youre happy its cool, i do think sometimes that the daunting idea of living independently in central london with cost etc makes us go for things that help our comfort levels, i dont blame you in hindsight for your choices
Original post by welcometoib
hmm. I will be honest because it may also apply to me, I would be fine as long as you earnt near the same as me, IF same division and around same age, i dont like the idea of age gaps.

Im assuming youre 18-19 if you havent started lse yet? If youre happy its cool, i do think sometimes that the daunting idea of living independently in central london with cost etc makes us go for things that help our comfort levels, i dont blame you in hindsight for your choices

Women are advised to marry men who are a little older. Maturity levels and that.

So at 30 you couldn't marry a 25 year old ?!
Women are advised to marry men who are a little older. Maturity levels and that.

and ive always thought that stupid because men have a lower life expectancy so potentially a widower for decades :s-smilie: also your experiences make you mature, id agree with your assertion on trust fund babies, its pathetic seeing them do f all but spend money tbh, but the girls are also the same.

I was one of the youngest in the my year so was accustomed to talking to older girls, i find it weird if a girl is more than 12 months younger :s-smilie: no chqnce for me, 5 years is weird
THANK YOU!!!!!

I went to a private school and I'm part of a tennis club and I meet guys like this alllllll the time.

It's

Not

Hard!

Yaaaaay!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually the opposite as women tend to die after men.
Go to a Russell Group uni and marry one of them former private school types. They have daddy's connection book, if you can afford private education with hard cash of £10-30k a year over around a 10 year period, you must be doing well.

They'll graduate with jobs lined up in banking, finance or the law or they'll be arty and be able to earn £0 whilst trying to break into those upper-middle class dominated acting/art positions.

Worst comes to worst they'll still inherit daddy's mansion, probably by avoiding inheritance tax at the same time.

It's not hard to find these types, oh and they'll probably be playing some upper-middle class dominated sport taught at school like Rugby, Cricket or Hockey

Great advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/harison-edwards/5b/681/57

Check out my friend and now he's in New york.
I'm sure every girl would obviously want to date him
Reply 135
I'm going to LSE so I can get into banking by the time I start dating seriously (26) I'll be on 6 figures including bonus.

I want a man who earns double what I earn to sustain the lifestyle I want to provide for myself and my children.

It's important my children go to private school etc. All the houses I like are in the 700k-1million pound range

My ex earned 100k a year and frankly if we had kids it wouldn't be enough.

This is the only problem with your views. Nothing wrong with wanting a partner who earns six figures, if your earning potential is similar. Wanting a partner who earns double your salary just because is silly though.
It does matter to some extent. A lot of couples argue about money. I don't need a rich guy because I'm not rich myself but I would want somebody who has his own money. I wouldn't want a guy who is on the dole with no intention of getting a job, has no money so I'm expected to keep paying for him or lending him money. I wouldn't like that at all.
My boyfriend is a lot more well off than me, but I'll always make sure that I pay for food/cinema dates and not just him. I hate it not being equal, plus there's so much more to a relationship than money. It's more my personality than anything I suppose though, I don't like being dependent on someone and couldn't take advantage of someone just because they earned a lot.
Original post by fudgecake22
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/harison-edwards/5b/681/57

Check out my friend and now he's in New york.
I'm sure every girl would obviously want to date him

how da *** did he get an analyst stint in NYC from the get go?
Tbh, sometimes I'd quite fancy being a housewife to a rich man. I've ended up with a binman as a boyfriend though, so we'll just have to make do until I either get a decent paying admin job, or one of us wins the lottery *fingers crossed* :please:

Latest

Trending

Trending