The Student Room Group

Should annie and james bond be black

ok so theres a bit of outrage that both annie and james bond are black
should they stay white?
i mean its what we are used to isnt it? Is it pc gone mad
at the same time one could say we turned jesus white lol.
what you lot think

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The more people talk about it the more it makes the issue appear bigger. Like how when people talk about racism you notice it but if people don't speak about racism then it won't exist.
(edited 9 years ago)
James Bond has never looked anything like Ian Flemming's descriptions of him anyway so who cares
Reply 3
James Bond isn't black (yet) actually.
There is a movie with a black Annie, but it is just a remake like any other so why should she not be black?
The only difference with James Bond is that the films are not remakes, they are a series. That being said, hardly and of the previous Bonds look much alike so really - why not?
(edited 9 years ago)
james bond? I don't care - him being black wouldn't make him any different - I mean, we've gone this far from the traditional british bond so I don't really mind
annie? well, the whole novelty about annie was that she was freckly ginger, wasn't it? wasn't that why she was distinctive in a way?
I have no problem with it. They're fictional characters. Movies tend to be different than the novels they are based on, and it's not unusual for a character on the screen to look different to how they were described by the original author. If an actor or actress fits the part, that's what matters.

It's different, of course, when an actor or actress is meant to portray a real person and they look very different to them. I can't imagine a 6 ft tall black Queen Elizabeth II or a pale, blonde haired blue-eyed President Obama.
Why does it matter? As long as whoever plays them are good actors, that's all that should matter, imo
Movie portrayals rarely have the characters match the book well anyway, who cares what race they are.
Also, originally annie's defining features were also used because they were deemed 'undesirable'; redheads mostly came from Ireland during that time in America, and were thought to have bad personalities (in a similar way to which some Americans perceive black children to be) so nobody wanted to adopt them. Because of this it actually makes sense to have a black Annie in a modern adaptation I think? Anyway Quvenzhane Wallis is adorable, too bad the movie hasn't got great reviews.
Original post by GailQ
James Bond isn't black (yet) actually.
There is a movie with a black Annie, but it is just a remake like any other so why should she not be black?
The only difference with James Bond is that the films are not remakes, they are a series. That being said, hardly and of the previous Bonds look much alike so really - why not?

The underlying issue, which nobody wants to mention, is that statistically most of the (British) audience and critics are likely to be white, and therefore feel more connected to a white character. This is most likely what people really mean when they object.

As to whether this is racism, or unacceptable, perhaps so. I'm not sure how you change it though. Perhaps you change it by having a black character who exceeds their expectations?
Annie and James Bond should be any damned colour the writers, casting people, producers and the rest of the general crew want them to be.

The director wants a black person to play the character? Cool. If you don't want them to be black for no particular reason then a) you are racist and b) sit down and shut up.

I haven't seen either Annie or James Bond, but if their appearance have a direct impact on the plot, then the actors cast will be of that appearance. But, if appearance has absolutely nothing to do with the plot, then who cares what they look like?
Original post by Octohedral
The underlying issue, which nobody wants to mention, is that statistically most of the (British) audience and critics are likely to be white, and therefore feel more connected to a white character. This is most likely what people really mean when they object.

As to whether this is racism, or unacceptable, perhaps so. I'm not sure how you change it though. Perhaps you change it by having a black character who exceeds their expectations?

If a white person is unable to connect to a character simply because said character is not white like them, they're probably somewhat racist. Women and non-whites are perfectly able to identify with white male characters, and they have to given how many lead roles in movies are filled by white males. :s-smilie: A characters actions and development is what makes them relateable, not the colour of their skin.
Original post by Mr Wrong
The more people talk about it the more it makes the issue appear bigger. Like how when people talk about racism you notice it but if people don't speak about racism then it won't exist.

You mean ''won't exist'' as in does exist but you are not aware of it, right?
The fact this is even a question means that yes, they should be black.

In this day and age the colour of a /fictional/ character's skin should not be a problem.
Not at all, it makes no difference as long as the performances are great. Casting a non-white person purely in the name of diversity is totally stupid to do imo, it helps nobody
Annie doesn't matter, it's just one film.

James Bond is a series, and an institution. To have a black James Bond would be like having a white Othello. It would be weird. If the crew think a black man is the best suited to play the part than fine but having a black Bond for the sake of it would be idiotic.
Original post by Octohedral

These people (British audience) aren't forced to pay for the making of these movies. They have free will as to whether they go out to the cinema and pay to watch these films.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by B-FJL3
Right now I'm frankly pretty unimpressed by the current Bond being blonde...

Yes, I don't think Daniel Craig was the best choice. Will always have Pierce Brosnan in my heart.
they definitely should NOT just have to be white all the time, obviously. i dont see why its an issue that the majority of the british public are white. white people can watch films with black leads. representation is so important, and we still live in a racist society. representation can not only change opinions of people e.g. racists but also inspire people from minority groups. im white and im not gonna cry or feel alienated if a few films have proper representation of other ethnic groups. there are literally so many other films and books and tv programs with white dominated casts and sometimes whitewashing, im not exactly gonna miss out too much.
oh and besides, idris elba is a great actor and the james bond franchise would be lucky to have him.
Original post by matthewduncan
ok so theres a bit of outrage that both annie and james bond are black
should they stay white?
i mean its what we are used to isnt it? Is it pc gone mad
at the same time one could say we turned jesus white lol.
what you lot think

1. Annie was a reinvention. Don't see the problem here.
2. As long as Bond is played by a male British or Irish actor, I don't think it matters what colour they are

Quick Reply

Latest