The Student Room Group

Acne getting worse

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
Have you tried eliminating dairy from your diet? I don't suffer from acne but a lot of videos on Youtube I've seen recommend to stop eating dairy and that helped them.
You could try it seeing as it won't cost you anything :smile:

Yeah I've gone months without dairy before it made no difference, thanks though
Original post by jennymather
I hope it gets better for you! Also just saw your location is Liverpool, I go to uni there haha! (:

Me too, great city
Original post by acnehater12345
I was just seeking some help. I currently have lots of forehead bumps, a couple of whiteheads on my cheeks and red marks where spots have disappeared.

I'm using Neutrogena Visibly clear cleanser, followed by their oil free moisturizer, and a couple of times a week I use their exfoliator. I tAke Lymecycline tablets prescribed by the doctor however my acne is getting a lot worse.

Can anyone help me to improve my skin? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

How long have you been on lymecycline for? It can sometimes take 2-3 months to work, and it must be taken every single day without missing a dose. Have you tried other skin application products like Duac Gel (contains benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin) or Zineryt lotion (contains zinc acetate and erythromycin)? When I was prescribed lymecycline, my GP also prescribed Zineryt lotion for me.
Wash your face with just water, products aftect the ph balance of your skin and will lead to more spots (you can use products occasionally of course)

If you use make up make sure you wash your brushes weekly to get rid of bacteria

Finally a really good spot remedy (promise this really works) is 5 crushed aspirin tablets mixed to a paste with water or lemon juice and applied to the spot kinda like a mask
Original post by thegodofgod
How long have you been on lymecycline for? It can sometimes take 2-3 months to work, and it must be taken every single day without missing a dose. Have you tried other skin application products like Duac Gel (contains benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin) or Zineryt lotion (contains zinc acetate and erythromycin)? When I was prescribed lymecycline, my GP also prescribed Zineryt lotion for me.

youre gonna make such a top dog pharmacist flippin hell!

hows tings goin for yeh btw:?
:bumps:
Original post by SophieSmall
And what if I don't find something that works?
Impossible not to worry about it when if I leave the house without make up on I get stared at and get comments, and if I leave the house with make up on I get told by friends and family my make up looks bad as it doesn't match my skin tone and the spots are still visible anyway, just gross bumps under paint.

I appreciate you trying to make me feel better but you can't, I look in the mirror and feel physically sick.
Original post by trustmeimlying1
youre gonna make such a top dog pharmacist flippin hell!

hows tings goin for yeh btw:?

Haha, I only really know that stuff because I have had experience of using those combinations! :tongue:

Yeah, things are going okay, could be better. Got an MCQ exam worth 20% of the year on the 7th Jan, for which I've done practically no work over the holidays :s-smilie:

Luckily I did a lot of work before hand, so hopefully it'll come back to me in the exam, given it's only MCQs.

How about you? How have your holidays been / do you have exams in January?
Haha, I only really know that stuff because I have had experience of using those combinations! :tongue:

Yeah, things are going okay, could be better. Got an MCQ exam worth 20% of the year on the 7th Jan, for which I've done practically no work over the holidays :s-smilie:

Luckily I did a lot of work before hand, so hopefully it'll come back to me in the exam, given it's only MCQs.

How about you? How have your holidays been / do you have exams in January?
sure sure modest as always yeh prick!:tongue:

ara would yeh stop..my xmas exams are after so not so good for me.in fact no more student room for me after tonight
sure sure modest as always yeh prick!:tongue:

ara would yeh stop..my xmas exams are after so not so good for me.in fact no more student room for me after tonight

Feck off yeh little leprechaun :wink:

Spoiler

Okay, night night!
Feck off yeh little leprechaun :wink:

Spoiler

Okay, night night!
dont apologise :biggrin: twas hilarious!

night night prick
dont apologise :biggrin: twas hilarious!

night night prick

8====>~~~~~~:colone:
And what if I don't find something that works?
Impossible not to worry about it when if I leave the house without make up on I get stared at and get comments, and if I leave the house with make up on I get told by friends and family my make up looks bad as it doesn't match my skin tone and the spots are still visible anyway, just gross bumps under paint.

I appreciate you trying to make me feel better but you can't, I look in the mirror and feel physically sick.

I know that nothing I can say will truly make you feel better, but just know that other people don't judge you anywhere near as harshly as you judge yourself. For many, many people your spots won't even enter their thoughts at all.
Go to your gp and Say can you refer me to a dermatologist I want to try roaccutane. the 1st of january makes it a month since I came off roaccutane. Ive just been through it all and my skin was like how you have described. It was the best decision I ever made, it was a long process but so worth it. Dont listen to anyone saying its not bad, its how it effects you, you have to live with it. It saved my life, I was depressed I was on the verge of a break down. I am so much happier. Good luck. I went to my gp almost in tears and he got a second opinion and then I got referred. It takes months just for the initial appointment but stick with it.
Original post by trifleontoast
Go to your gp and Say can you refer me to a dermatologist I want to try roaccutane. the 1st of january makes it a month since I came off roaccutane. Ive just been through it all and my skin was like how you have described. It was the best decision I ever made, it was a long process but so worth it. Dont listen to anyone saying its not bad, its how it effects you, you have to live with it. It saved my life, I was depressed I was on the verge of a break down. I am so much happier. Good luck. I went to my gp almost in tears and he got a second opinion and then I got referred. It takes months just for the initial appointment but stick with it.

^ this, I finished a 6 month course of Roaccutane about a year ago and my skin has been perfect since. No breakouts. No spots, no blackheads. Seriously don't waste time with other medication.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for all the suggestions and help. When I drank loads of water each day I broke out in spots galore around my chin- probably something to do with the flouride

If i don't exfoliate every 2-4 days then all the red marks remain more visible on my face which is red enough anyways

Im going to go and see my GP again and go back to basics by just using a cleanser?? Im currently using neutrogena visiby clear cleanser the orange one which ive used for ages and its done ok. But if there are any better out there i am willing to try. Once again thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ive been on lymecylcine for 6 months.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ive not eaten dairy for a while it helped initially so ive kept it up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by acnehater12345
Thanks for all the suggestions and help. When I drank loads of water each day I broke out in spots galore around my chin- probably something to do with the flouride

If i don't exfoliate every 2-4 days then all the red marks remain more visible on my face which is red enough anyways

Im going to go and see my GP again and go back to basics by just using a cleanser?? Im currently using neutrogena visiby clear cleanser the orange one which ive used for ages and its done ok. But if there are any better out there i am willing to try. Once again thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

My acne used to be horrendous and looking at photos from 6 months ago I didn't realise how bad it was. I started to use benzoyl peroxide gel in 2.5% (I got mine from acne.org, but it can be found on amazon or eBay). I tried the five percent, but I heard that 2.5% worked better and I found it did and was less drying. I have one spot near my lip but my skin is so much clearer, my skin is a lot more stable and has been pretty clear for the past month. I would urge you to try it! Also get some cetaphil cleanser and non comedogenic moisturiser. It works for quite a few people and there is no harm in trying as I would say that 80% of my acne has now gone.
(edited 9 years ago)
Not acne related but it is part of my face which is also reducing my self esteem. I have a huge red scar underneath by eye after playing football i got kicked in te face and had to have it sterry striped.

There is a small red line which has got less visible over the years but just above it to the left there is a huge red circle which looks like a spot but its not.

Ive tried Bio oil and cocoa butter and yet the red circle is still so prominent on my face

Posted from TSR Mobile
Make up looks disgusting on me, there is no foundation shade light enough for me. I recently ordered white foundation to mix with the foundations I have to make them lighter but even still, my face still looks disgusting with foundation on it, you can still see all the spots just with paint on them, almost makes it worse.

thanks but it;s not getting any better, I have this face it's disgusting and I have to live with it.

Have you been to see a gp? After months and months of acne i finally went to the Doctors. She prescribed me cream for black heads and antibiotic tablets for my acne straight away. And mine isn't as bad as it yours sounds.

EDIT: Just read your post about GPs. That's hard luck. Not sure why they wouldn't prescribe treatment for a condition :confused:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest