The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marie_King
Does money matter in relationships? Life in the UK can be expensive and from a capitalist point would be beneficial to have a rich boyfriend?

No because he might be rich, however he might not treat you respectfully so what's the point

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by liarpoker
how da *** did he get an analyst stint in NYC from the get go?

Doesn't look like the get go to me, he's clearly worked hard.

His CV looks extensive to me tbh.
Original post by _Charlotte15
No because he might be rich, however he might not treat you respectfully so what's the point

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chavs are getting Asbos daily for beating up their girlfriends.

A man being poor of living in a council estate won't mean he will magically treat you right.

Anyone with exposure to the underclass will have you know that 'poor' men can hit, abuse, cheat and disrespect you just as much as a rich man. There is so much abuse and domestic violence in poor households it's a joke.

A man being intelligent enough to get a high paying job doesn't automatically make him disrespectful.

We need to stop glamourising poverty and poorer men as Angels......
Original post by PrincessAlexis
His CV looks extensive to me tbh.

big difference between being a broker in a two bit shop and FO banking in NYC..
Reply 145
Original post by fudgecake22
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/harison-edwards/5b/681/57

Check out my friend and now he's in New york.
I'm sure every girl would obviously want to date him

Perhaps I've missed something.. Doesn't seem that impressive?
big difference between being a broker in a two bit shop and FO banking in NYC..

He is just an analyst though. That's entry level , he probably applied for the new analyst program and with an Msc from Imperial entry level isn't too shocking.

I'm more intrigued that it's NYC. I wonder how he convinced them to sponsor him.....

A Brit getting a job in NYC off the bat without doing an MBA in the US is odd.

Or perhaps he worked in London office then moved.
Original post by PrincessAlexis
He is just an analyst though. That's entry level , he probably applied for the new analyst program and with an Msc from Imperial entry level isn't too shocking.

I'm more intrigued that it's NYC. I wonder how he convinced them to sponsor him.....

A Brit getting a job in NYC off the bat without doing an MBA in the US is odd.

Or perhaps he worked in London office then moved.

Yeah, it's the NYC thing that surprised me.

The FO IB is a non-issue, plenty of eligible bachelors in the city of london.

He's only 25 earning £70-100k per year plus bonus and it's called CONTACTS darling..that's how I'll get there after graduating

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
He's only 25 earning £70-100k per year plus bonus and it's called CONTACTS darling..that's how I'll get there after graduating

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol its a shame 'contacts' couldn't get you a place at somewhere a little better than uni of liv.
Yeah, it's the NYC thing that surprised me.

The FO IB is a non-issue, plenty of eligible bachelors in the city of london.

No he didn't. You can look at his previous employment ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol its a shame 'contacts' couldn't get you a place at somewhere a little better than uni of liv.

It's a russell group redbrick ...now do you want to slay of the uni??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Clip
But as a rational person, consider the following:

Assume you marry.

Assume you marry someone of at least equal capabilty to yourself.

Assume that this person has a high income - over £200,000 pa.

Assume that the work you do is rewarding financially, but has drawbacks in terms of time, conditions, personalities.

Assuming that you're a graduate, none of these are unreasonable, and is not an uncommon scenario.

Given this, would you continue to work, or would you have a leisurely life if the male partner can adequately more than provide for the both of you?

Given that you are rational.

When I graduated in my early 20s, I was purely focussed on my career, didn't really give much thought to getting married.

Speaking as a rational person hitting early 30s, I'd very much like to settle down now. My ideal partner has to be someone who earns a lot, at least 5 times what I earn. When I consider the future, there's no way I'd have a child and bring them up in poverty. However, I wouldn't give up my job if I did meet that ideal person.
It's a russell group redbrick ...now do you want to slay of the uni??

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's the WORST member of the Russell Group. It's a uni in decline and has been for a number of years.

It struggles to make the UK top 40 these days
Original post by Slim and proud
When I graduated in my early 20s, I was purely focussed on my career, didn't really give much thought to getting married.

Speaking as a rational person hitting early 30s, I'd very much like to settle down now. My ideal partner has to be someone who earns a lot, at least 5 times what I earn. When I consider the future, there's no way I'd have a child and bring them up in poverty. However, I wouldn't give up my job if I did meet that ideal person.

You're hitting your early 30s, want to get married and want someone rich as well. You realise you're in decline, he's reaching peak and you think you can command high value men? You've missed your chance, you should have been shagging them in your twenties. Find someone, don't be picky and don't be alone, it'll be a tough life for you if you stay single
Reply 155

Posted from TSR Mobile

A 30k difference in estimated salary range? Are you just making these figures up on the spot? :rolleyes:

Please, I beg of you; Return to us here in a few years and let us know how those contacts worked out for you.

I've made the same challenge to many uni goers who were equally as certain that they would be making the massive bucks straight out of uni... So far not a single one has come back to us with proof.
Original post by wannabeaca
It's the WORST member of the Russell Group. It's a uni in decline and has been for a number of years.

It struggles to make the UK top 40 these days

Well that's your opinion people say the same for qmul...but a rg uni is a rg!! So potential employers will be impressed do I care? I'll get a good career..I'm thinking of masters at ucl/lse when I graduate:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zippity.doodah
sure, but acknowledge this:
it's stupid for women to be expecting equal pay when they think, like this, that men in society, should earn more than them, or a lot more.

why is this so accurate
Well that's your opinion people say the same for qmul...but a rg uni is a rg!! So potential employers will be impressed do I care? I'll get a good career..I'm thinking of masters at ucl/lse when I graduate:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm afraid you've shown your naivety. Going to a Russell Group is not impressive in itself. You're going to have to bring a lot more to the table than that. If you manage a good classification alongside ECs and relevant work experience even then that just makes you competitive, not amazing. This isn't a knock, a dose of reality will help you. Arrogance will set you up for a rude awakening.
I don't care how wealthy my boyfriend is, but that is because I don't date guys, i'm straight - I think ...........

Latest

Trending

Trending