The Student Room Group

Im a failing vegan

I am trying to be a vegan but my dad cooked fish and said eat it and eventually i did.

I feel miserable
Not sure if this is a troll but if it isn't then try going vegetarian instead of going vegan
My advice would be to evaluate your reasons for wanting to be vegan. It is a big commitment. Write all of those reasons out, and weigh them against your doubts, worries, and hesitations. The answer should become apparent to you - either you have the conviction to overcome these obstacles, or maybe it's just not worth the self-will to you.
Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not a troll it's genuine
Reply 4
Trifle on toast, a boxing day delicacy.
Reply 5
Were you a vegetarian before going vegan? Being vegan is a massive committment and it's even harder if a) your family is unaware/unsupportive and b) you're going from fully-fledged meat eater straight to vegan.

Lol next time just refuse. Will power. If you're a vegan/vegetarian for the right reasons then you won't be able to stand yourself after eating animal flesh.
Original post by suirrel
Were you a vegetarian before going vegan? Being vegan is a massive committment and it's even harder if a) your family is unaware/unsupportive and b) you're going from fully-fledged meat eater straight to vegan.

Lol next time just refuse. Will power. If you're a vegan/vegetarian for the right reasons then you won't be able to stand yourself after eating animal flesh.

Ive gone straight from meat eater, kind of. No I probably wouldnt eat meat if it was presented to me. Fish is slightly different to me , I was pescetarian.
Reply 7
Original post by trifleontoast
Ive gone straight from meat eater, kind of. No I probably wouldnt eat meat if it was presented to me. Fish is slightly different to me , I was pescetarian.

Sounds like you need to guilt yourself more (I mean it, think a lot harder about why you're going vegan - the environment, health, animals being slaughtered horrifically) and try out plain vegetarianism first i.e. milk, eggs, cheese allowed. "Probably" wouldn't eat meat is simply the wrong mindset for successful long-term vegetarianism.

Fish are still animals. Eating fish has pretty nasty environmental consequences.

Why are you vegan? Have you told your family that you are going vegan?
Reply 8
Just eat some chicken and bacon. Don't ruin your life by not eating tasty food which are essential for you. There's a reason that you're alive, natural selection, and your ancestors ate meat which has led to this.
Original post by trifleontoast
I am trying to be a vegan but my dad cooked fish and said eat it and eventually i did.

I feel miserable

But you're a succeeding pescetarian.

Always look on the bright side of life.
Original post by Flather
Just eat some chicken and bacon. Don't ruin your life by not eating tasty food which are essential for you. There's a reason that you're alive, natural selection, and your ancestors ate meat which has led to this.

There is so much tasty vegetarian/vegan food out there. You don't need meat products to have a good time or live - eating a varied, balanced diet that is vegetarian is better for you than one that contains red meats such as bacon.

It's trifleontoast's decision to be (a pretty unmotivated...) vegan.
Original post by suirrel
There is so much tasty vegetarian/vegan food out there. You don't need meat products to have a good time or live - eating a varied, balanced diet that is vegetarian is better for you than one that contains red meats such as bacon.

It's trifleontoast's decision to be (a pretty unmotivated...) vegan.

Natural selection, your ancestors ate meat, that's how they survived
Original post by Flather
Natural selection, your ancestors ate meat, that's how they survived

Er, right, but that's not exactly applicable now there's a Spar down the road, is it?

Humans don't need meat to survive. They need calories and nutrients that can be found in meat, but meat itself is not necessary to survive in modern Britain.
I would suggest being a vegetarian first, before going vegan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by suirrel
Er, right, but that's not exactly applicable now there's a Spar down the road, is it?

Humans don't need meat to survive. They need calories and nutrients that can be found in meat, but meat itself is not necessary to survive in modern Britain.

I think you're being trolled tbh.

Anyway OP, I do agree that if your dad putting fish in front of you and telling you to eat it was enough to convince you, then maybe you're not motivated enough?

But still, don't be too hard on yourself. If you eat one fish and then remain vegan for however long afterwards, that's still better than not ever being vegan at all, isn't it?
Original post by Flather

That is a very 'A-grade' comment, I must say. :rolleyes: Trifle, do not listen to him, typical carnivore propaganda.
Reply 16
What matters is that you've still reduced suffering and your own environmental impact by going pescetarian/vegan.

Just try to be more forceful next time and fully explain your reasons for becoming vegan. It can be hard without family support, though, although I tend to find the dairy products are the hardest to cut out. Is it just fish that your Dad tries to feed you or other animal products as well? You could stay a pescetarian until you live by yourself, but even then, remember that no one's perfect - vegans have an impact on animals and the environment too, just less so than omnivores. It's a continuum, not a do all/do nothing dichotomy!
Growing up in a (mostly) vegan household, I can only begin to imagine how hard it must be for you without parental support! But don't give up, what you're doing is really great.
Having family on side makes it a lot easier, so I'd suggest trying to gently ease them in by getting them to try vegan alternatives to animal products they love, for example vegan meat, cheese or milk(tell them how much cheaper and healthier they are). Maybe get them to swap meat sausages for meat-free ones once a week

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest