The Student Room Group

Is Taking Biology , Physics and Chemistry at A-level extremely hard/ a good idea

Original post by mrmahadsaid

It depends on what you want to do afterwards. Are you looking to study at Uni or go into a particular field of work?
I did it and got BBC but never did work as hard as I should have. The things I didn't understand at the time (particularly in unit 5 biology) I never put in the independent work required to learn.
Not extremely hard

Not really a good idea without maths, no point imo

Depends what you wanna do
I'm doing bio physics and chem and they're all tough the same as other a levels. Physics (and occasionally chem) can get horrible at times when maths comes in and I'm the only one in the class that has no clue what's going on but if you just work at it, ask the teacher for help or your friends then it's fine. I love them all (most of the time) and I would hate to be doing anything else, if you enjoy them all then go for it.
Just warning chemistry becomes much much worse after gcse and I complain about it all the time and yet I didn't quit after as and I do actually like it when think about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Not extremely hard

Not really a good idea without maths, no point imo

Depends what you wanna do

Im going to pick maths since i got an A* in Gcse and feel i am good at it, i want to be an aerospace engineer where physics and maths are compulsory.
Im going to pick maths since i got an A* in Gcse and feel i am good at it, i want to be an aerospace engineer where physics and maths are compulsory.

Don't do bio then

Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Chemistry/Economics/Language
Reply 7
Don't do bio then

Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Chemistry/Economics/Language

With further maths i am realy apprehensive about chosing it since i feel as if i have taken on too many subjects and i am left having to revise constantly which has made my last two years of secondary school terrrrribleeee!!! and i don't want to be in the same situation with further maths as it is alot of work and i dont wan to be put under too much pressure
With further maths i am realy apprehensive about chosing it since i feel as if i have taken on too many subjects and i am left having to revise constantly which has made my last two years of secondary school terrrrribleeee!!! and i don't want to be in the same situation with further maths as it is alot of work and i dont wan to be put under too much pressure

But then engineering will be a pressure.

Maths Further Maths Physics and fourth subject isn't a big workload.

The maths and physics all overlap and help each other.

I feel it's like taking 3 subjects if anything
Reply 9
But then engineering will be a pressure.

Maths Further Maths Physics and fourth subject isn't a big workload.

The maths and physics all overlap and help each other.

I feel it's like taking 3 subjects if anything

I really want to got to a good uni like imperial and im am worried that by taking on 12 exams in total/ 6 per year JUST for maths i may screw up y grades and risk a chance at going to a prestigious uni
I really want to got to a good uni like imperial and im am worried that by taking on 12 exams in total/ 6 per year JUST for maths i may screw up y grades and risk a chance at going to a prestigious uni

Well you won't get into a prestigious uni for engineering without further maths if your school offers it.

Don't be scared of FM, people over hype it's difficulty
Add Mathematics and Further Mathematics :smile:
That's what I'll be doing! Taking maths to AS. If you are truly fascinated by science and how the universe works- this means further reading etc- then doing three sciences will be great fun. If not, you'll probably hate it.
Well you won't get into a prestigious uni for engineering without further maths if your school offers it.

Don't be scared of FM, people over hype it's difficulty

i've taken iinto account everything you've said and have just changed y applications for college and replaced maths with further maths and removed Biology and i really hope that you are right about further maths having an 'over hyped diffculty'.
Thanks
i've taken iinto account everything you've said and have just changed y applications for college and replaced maths with further maths and removed Biology and i really hope that you are right about further maths having an 'over hyped diffculty'.
Thanks

I'm glad you've done that :smile: too many people come here and don't listen to advice. Trust me when I say if you want a serious shot at a top uni for engineering, Further Maths is basically a must if your school offers it.

Do you know what board you'll be with?

It's a much better thing to do, Biology will be useless and it'll consume your time, so boring and memorising.
I'm glad you've done that :smile: too many people come here and don't listen to advice. Trust me when I say if you want a serious shot at a top uni for engineering, Further Maths is basically a must if your school offers it.

Do you know what board you'll be with?

It's a much better thing to do, Biology will be useless and it'll consume your time, so boring and memorising.

Edexcel , Although for GCSE's i am with AQA
Edexcel , Although for GCSE's i am with AQA

Edexcel is very easy to cope with

Many resources

Many people to help

You'll be fine
Edexcel is very easy to cope with

Many resources

Many people to help

You'll be fine

I checked out exam solution and c1 edexcel, im pretty suprised that in a few hours i was able to pick up the basics of intergration, diffrentiation and sigma notation which has really given me confidence:biggrin: :biggrin:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
I checked out exam solution and c1 edexcel, im pretty suprised that in a few hours i was able to pick up the basics of intergration, diffrentiation and sigma notation which has really given me confidence:biggrin: :biggrin:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

It's super simples :biggrin:

Good luck
Thanks

Even if you do find it a bit difficult, it will make your first year of uni markedly easier.

Quick Reply

Latest