The Student Room Group

Both my parents make well over £200k, yet there is NEVER food in the house.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Modern Casanova
It's not like I don't want to do anything about it ... it's because I CANT. I know very well how my parents will react if I A)Steal money from them B) get social workers involved.

I can't afford to leave the house because A)My siblings will still have the same issues B)I have no money.

A drastic action will get a response, no it won't be pretty but if everything else so far has failed then it must be done. Take everything that's out of date from the fridge and put it right in front of their faces, shout that you're starving and haven't eaten, tell them you're having stomach cramps from not eating, or that you feel faint.

Otherwise do nothing.
Original post by KJane
A drastic action will get a response, no it won't be pretty but if everything else so far has failed then it must be done. Take everything that's out of date from the fridge and put it right in front of their faces, shout that you're starving and haven't eaten, tell them you're having stomach cramps from not eating, or that you feel faint.

Otherwise do nothing.

I'll do nothing ... I'll just starve, it's cool.
You should ask for weekly grocery allowance for the family and then go shopping with your older siblings :smile: It seems that your parents work long hours and so due to their absence they may not realise what's going on at home. Well, I hope that's the case, otherwise what's the point of earning so much and not tending to the basic needs of your children?
Reply 43
I'll do nothing ... I'll just starve, it's cool.

Tell them you can set up a repeat weekly delivery of food from a supermarket or something.
Original post by KJane
Tell them you can set up a repeat weekly delivery of food from a supermarket or something.

I've tried that already ...
Reply 45
My mum was promoted 3 months ago.

My dad has a weekly income of £3000 from renting these two studios at the back of our house.

There clearly isn't a drop of income - hell another poster talked about how her mum was getting 12k yet she still had food to eat.

My dad spends the grand majority of his money on buying materials, since he's a architect.

My mum DOESN'T spend money, unless it's to top up the petrol in her car. She spends jack **** - she's tight when it comes to spending, everyone knows it.

If we were going through financial ****, I would know of it.

Because 3 of you are near adult try the Citizen's Advice Bureau, try talking to your GP. How near to 18 are you? Because of your ages you may be able to get help on your youngest sibling's behalf.

You're giving the impression that you aren't treated particularly badly in other respects? You are decently dressed, kept warm and educated? Also the fact you had a big Christmas dinner and there were guests over the festive period suggests that putting on a front is important to them. Maybe your dad just eats on the hoof whilst working or has business dinners and maybe similar with your mum suggests they overlook the need for food in the house. Unless something is done I don't think the situation will change and maybe they will feel sufficiently shamed if you've asked for and received food from outside voluntary agencies.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 47
I'm skinny as **** ...

Very well, in that case I require the heights and weights of all the siblings to confirm this is true. In the event this is true we can arrange for fellow TSRians to order some pizza to your house.
(edited 9 years ago)
Don't you have grandparents or other relatives who could have a word to your parents for you?
Original post by x-pixie-x
Don't you have grandparents or other relatives who could have a word to your parents for you?

Both sets of grand parents are dead ... my aunt passed away days before Christmas, so my mum has obviously had a bad time ... I really don't know what to do.
Original post by the bear
If you are being starved by your parents you need to contact Social Services/ Childline etc.

He's 17!
Original post by Annabelle-xx
He's 17!

My sister's 8!
My sister's 8!

Perhaps you should call them
You have to confront your parents about this and MAKE them get food for you or things will only continue to get worse. This is the first time im hearing a situation like this. You are still a growing child, you need support and food from your parents if not then you must call a childline. Please dont make anymore excuses because unless you do something to change this, your siblings and you will just continue to suffer
Get a job at Mcdonnalds you're guarenteed atleast one hot meal a day, sell unused stuff laying around your home on Ebay, use the money earned to buy food.
Go out and beg on the streets, do some street entertainment for money.
I remember this exact same thread with the exact same wording being posted about a month ago, and you got plenty of responses and advice then. What is it exactly you're looking for?
Original post by SophieSmall
I remember this exact same thread with the exact same wording being posted about a month ago, and you got plenty of responses and advice then. What is it exactly you're looking for?

Isn't it obvious? NOTHING has changed, even with the advice given in the previous thread months ago.
Isn't it obvious? NOTHING has changed, even with the advice given in the previous thread months ago.

Did you follow all of the advice? And I mean all of it. The advice ranged from calling childline,to reporting your parents, informing members of your school or college staff, telling other family members, confronting your parents in various manners, asking your parents for money, asking your parents if you can do the food shopping and getting a job. Did you do all of those things?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Maths and cheesecake
Get a job at Mcdonnalds you're guarenteed atleast one hot meal a day, sell unused stuff laying around your home on Ebay, use the money earned to buy food.
Go out and beg on the streets, do some street entertainment for money.

Everything else from your advice was good. Now you're just another prick in my eyes.
Original post by SophieSmall
Did you follow all of the advice? And I mean all of it. The advice ranged from calling childline,to reporting your parents, informing members of your school or college staff, telling other family members, confronting your parents in various manners, asking your parents for money, asking your parents if you can do the food shopping and getting a job. Did you do all of those things?

Almost all apart from calling childline and reporting my parents.

I'm too worried about the consequences.

Quick Reply

Latest