I don't really know where to start..

Scroll to see replies

Have you drawn a diagram yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by danconway
Have you drawn a diagram yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's where I got stuck. I didn't really know how to visualise it in this case :/
Original post by creativebuzz
That's where I got stuck. I didn't really know how to visualise it in this case :/

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1419889420.297842.jpg
Would you agree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1419889420.297842.jpg
Would you agree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup, I would agree! And we want to find the remaining side, however we don't know any of the interior angles so we can't perform trigonometry :/
Yup, I would agree! And we want to find the remaining side, however we don't know any of the interior angles so we can't perform trigonometry :/

Cosine rule :smile:
Do some angle chasing first, and you'll see why it works (obviously you'll need the angle before you can use the cosine rule :biggrin:). Think 'F-angles'.
(edited 9 years ago)
Do some angle chasing first, and you'll see why it works (obviously you'll need the angle before you can use the cosine rule :biggrin:). Think 'F-angles'.

I can't seem to find the angle :/
I can't seem to find the angle :/

It's well hidden! Look around the point with the 138º angle on it. Work out anything you can find (even if it might seem insignificant!).
It's well hidden! Look around the point with the 138º angle on it. Work out anything you can find (even if it might seem insignificant!).

Well I guess I could do 180-138 = 42 and that will give me that tiny angle but I don't know..
Well I guess I could do 180-138 = 42 and that will give me that tiny angle but I don't know..

If I told you that that 42º pops up somewhere else and is VERY handy, what would you say? :biggrin:
If I told you that that 42º pops up somewhere else and is VERY handy, what would you say? :biggrin:

I would say that 42 also an interior angle because of the alternate segment theorem or..?:tongue:
I would say that 42 also an interior angle because of the alternate segment theorem or..?:tongue:

Probably doesn't work... 42 is just anti-clockwise of the 251, going from North on that point anticlockwise to the line joining the first point and that point.... Because corresponding angles.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1419892425.689740.jpg That kinda idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Probably doesn't work... 42 is just anti-clockwise of the 251, going from North on that point anticlockwise to the line joining the first point and that point.... Because corresponding angles.

I don't see it :/
I don't see it :/

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1419892574.296993.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh I see now! Thank you! :smile: Damn, I really need to scratch up on my basic angle facts, would you advice just doing a couple of questions on basic angles?
Ohh I see now! Thank you! :smile: Damn, I really need to scratch up on my basic angle facts, would you advice just doing a couple of questions on basic angles?

Well it seems that they'd definitely help! You can always have a quick check on here to revise them :smile:
Well it seems that they'd definitely help! You can always have a quick check on here to revise them :smile:

Yeah, I feel like I need to brush up on my basics, because they always come back to haunt me! :P But thank you for being so patient with me (positive rating given to show appreciation)! :smile:
Yeah, I feel like I need to brush up on my basics, because they always come back to haunt me! :P But thank you for being so patient with me (positive rating given to show appreciation)! :smile:

Aha aw, well anything to help, and thanks for the rep!

I'll be off to bed have fun with the rest of the problem (although going to bed is a great idea for everyone!); I can always help more tomorrow if you need it, but hopefully you can work it out from here!

Quick Reply

Latest