The Student Room Group

Can any band get better than Arctic Monkeys?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aoifeaoifeaoife
Yeah I totally agree. I love them, and seeing them at Finsbury in May may have been just about the best thing ever, but I'm not actually that big a fan of their new stuff. I think it's good that they've changed, its just not as engaging for me. For me they're kinda that band that I'll always love and will always be my 'favourite band', even though I don't necessarily choose to listen to that often.. They are amazing live though.

Definitely.
I just can't get over the difference between the first and latest album in the sense that Alex Turner comes across as two different people. He was much more fiesty and..much more engaging, like you said.
Its a shame.
I like you're thinking. Which eras though? Oasis has to be first two albums (obvious but true), for Radiohead I think The Bends and OK Computer are my favourites, again kinda obvious choices but true.

oasis until maybe 2002 (yeah, the first two albums were unmatched but they were okay until heathen chemistry, although that abum's got some good songs) and radiohead until 2003 (hail to the thief) - I actually think their greatest hits go from pablo honey until kid A, meaning that the bends and okay computer are also in that spectrum of greatness - I don't know why so many people aren't into pablo honey though
Original post by zippity.doodah
oasis until maybe 2002 (yeah, the first two albums were unmatched but they were okay until heathen chemistry, although that abum's got some good songs) and radiohead until 2003 (hail to the thief) - I actually think their greatest hits go from pablo honey until kid A, meaning that the bends and okay computer are also in that spectrum of greatness - I don't know why so many people aren't into pablo honey though

Yeah fair point, I don't dislike Pablo Honey, its got some good songs, I just don't know it as well, guess I need to do some more listening aha.. So, the killer question- best song by each of them? Smiths, Oasis, Beatles, Radiohead, that is...
In some people's opinion...no.

In probably the majority of people's opinion, including mine, yes, easily.

But hey, that's what makes up all great, didn't interests :smile:
Yeah fair point, I don't dislike Pablo Honey, its got some good songs, I just don't know it as well, guess I need to do some more listening aha.. So, the killer question- best song by each of them? Smiths, Oasis, Beatles, Radiohead, that is...

Oasis has to be either Aquiesce or Live Forever

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Emily.97
Definitely.
I just can't get over the difference between the first and latest album in the sense that Alex Turner comes across as two different people. He was much more fiesty and..much more engaging, like you said.
Its a shame.

Exactly! Well I think he's always had a tongue-in-cheek attitude, he's always come across as quite sarcastic and I love that, but now I can't work out if thats still the case and his whole persona is part of that act or whether its the real him.. Obviously its about their music and not really just about Alex Turner but it does have an impact on how you perceive them and listen to them. I think I find the most recent just a bit more shallow? Maybe it's because my current lifestyle more resembles the whole 'teenagers stuck around not doing much' thing of the first album, but yeah its much more relatable to me. Having said that, musically Humbug might be my favourite, some lyrics are nonsense but some great guitar riffs and drum rhythms. This has kind of turned into a nonsensical ramble haha sorry
Original post by Obiejess
Oasis has to be either Aquiesce or Live Forever

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? Live Forever could be a contender actually but I'm not that mad about Aquiesce.. though to be fair I'm struggling to think what mine might be haha

I wouldn't be able to put it down to one song each for such good bands, so I'll do a few from my opinion:
1) smiths = hand in glove (the original 7 inch version), the boy with a thorn in his side, bigmouth, headmaster ritual
2) oasis = live forever, morning glory, acquiesce, supernova
3) beatles = you're gonna lose that girl, yes it is, that boy, she said she said
4) radiohead = black star, sulk, paranoid android, karma police

you?
(edited 9 years ago)
No one said Zeppelin or Floyd? Or Queen?!

No hope for TSR
AM are overrated.

Missing Andy, Rosenberg Trio and Inspiral carpets are much better.
Exactly! Well I think he's always had a tongue-in-cheek attitude, he's always come across as quite sarcastic and I love that, but now I can't work out if thats still the case and his whole persona is part of that act or whether its the real him.. Obviously its about their music and not really just about Alex Turner but it does have an impact on how you perceive them and listen to them. I think I find the most recent just a bit more shallow? Maybe it's because my current lifestyle more resembles the whole 'teenagers stuck around not doing much' thing of the first album, but yeah its much more relatable to me. Having said that, musically Humbug might be my favourite, some lyrics are nonsense but some great guitar riffs and drum rhythms. This has kind of turned into a nonsensical ramble haha sorry

No no I completely get you!! Obviously the main singers voice and attitude has a huge impact on how the band appears as a whole. I do feel that nowadays its more about getting into the top 40 and producing music that people will download and people will like, more than people sticking to what is best for them.
Tough one. I'd say no. Some can rival them but they are the best currently around. They have brilliant basslines, lyrics and riffs. I went from The Clash to the Arctic Monkeys incase you wanted to know
I listened to Humbug and it was okay. Not something I will ever listen to again but I was able to sit through it.
To answer your question, yes. I would put any band I can say I like above the Arctic Monkeys but you see that's just what I like and the Arctic Monkey's are what you like. Personally anything that resembles Britpop I have a hard time enjoying. I'm British myself but I find it to be the nadir of music.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yea def. arctic monkeys are okay but do they have zayn malik ???? no \_(ツ)_/¯
Original post by buckysteve
Yea def. arctic monkeys are okay but do they have zayn malik ???? no \_(ツ)_/¯

Oh god.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oasis were good till 2000, when Liam started singing nasally and they became devoid of any creative ideas.
Tool
RATM
AIC
Soundgarden
I think Animal Collective is all around better than Arctic Monkeys.

The lead singer has an inflated ego that rivals Kanye West

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Type O Negative, The Kinks, Roxy Music, Talking Heads, Magnum, Entombed, Suffocation, Carcass, Napalm Death, OMD, Santana, Fields of the Nephilim, Mercyful Fate, Skepticism, Iron Maiden, The Misfits, Bathory, Carnivore, Dissection, Immortal, Morbid Angel, and Dismember come to mind, not including solo artists.
Easily

Quick Reply

Latest