The Student Room Group

A level suggestions? Help!!!

I am in my final year of GCSE and I am currently considering my A LEVEL options.

I want to do:
A LEVEL ECONOMICS (Edexcel)
and
A LEVEL MATHEMATICS (Edexcel)

Out of the courses below, which other two A-levels will you take?
- BIOLOGY
- CHEMISTRY
- GERMAN
- GOVERNMENT AND POLITICS
- PSYCHOLOGY
- SOCIOLOGY

Thanks :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::colone:
Reply 1
Original post by taylortron99
I am in my final year of GCSE and I am currently considering my A LEVEL options.

I want to do:
and

- BIOLOGY
- CHEMISTRY
- GERMAN
- PSYCHOLOGY
- SOCIOLOGY

Thanks :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::colone:

What degree do you want to take? From the looks of it Economics,

So I'd recommend : Maths,Economics, German + [Further Maths/Chemistry/Gov&Pol]

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by MrJAKEE

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I'll take that into consideration. :smile:
Reply 3

I want to do:
and

- BIOLOGY
- CHEMISTRY
- GERMAN
- PSYCHOLOGY
- SOCIOLOGY

I did Maths, Chem, Bio, Geog and German and had good friends who did the others.
Biology is definitely the easiest of the sciences and carries more weight generally than a humanity if you're applying to something mathsy/economics etc.
Chemistry was probably on a par with biology in terms of what i enjoyed most.
I'd suggest only do German if you're very good at languages naturally, i know few people who did very well in languages, they are probably the most difficult a levels to do well in and require a lot more continuous work throughout the course. It's a true labour of love.
Gov Pol, Psychology and Sociology are all on the more wishy washy end of the spectrum as they aren't traditional facilitating subjects looks for by the top Russel Group unis. Also i assume you didn't do these at GCSE which makes them more risky as you may not enjoy them (what a number of my friends found)

All that said if you wanted to do economics and you have both maths and economics unis will only judge you on 3 and they'll be looking for the grades not what subjects you've taken assuming you've got the compulsory subjects which i assume would only be maths. In my school (standard comprehensive) aside from oxbridge, medicine, dentistry applicants i don't know anyone who got a uni rejection. That's to say they all got 5 offers and this is very standard. So pick what you think you'll enjoy as it's more important what grades you get than what subjects you pick providing you have the compulsory ones for the course.

with the subjects you're taking already (maths and economics) keeping sciences such as bio and chem keeps options open for scientific careers and degrees if you had a change of heart where as the other subjects don't fit so logically. Therefore personally i'd keep the sciences as i loved those a levels and they're well respected and extremely useful.
please don't take biology, it's boring as hell lol
Original post by MrJAKEE

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree
If it were me, I'd do Biology and G&P. Not because they match well, but they're the two that look most interesting to me.

Which ones look most interesting to you?
Which ones will help you when applying for university (it's okay to not know this one)?
Which ones are you best at?

The ideal solution is to pick two that answer all three questions.
Reply 7
Original post by bubblegumcat

Do you study A-Level Biology?
Reply 8
Original post by em.d_4
I did Maths, Chem, Bio, Geog and German and had good friends who did the others.
Biology is definitely the easiest of the sciences and carries more weight generally than a humanity if you're applying to something mathsy/economics etc.
I'd suggest only do German if you're very good at languages naturally, i know few people who did very well in languages, they are probably the most difficult a levels to do well in and require a lot more continuous work throughout the course. It's a true labour of love.
Gov Pol, Psychology and Sociology are all on the more wishy washy end of the spectrum as they aren't traditional facilitating subjects looks for by the top Russel Group unis. Also i assume you didn't do these at GCSE which makes them more risky as you may not enjoy them (what a number of my friends found)

All that said if you wanted to do economics and you have both maths and economics unis will only judge you on 3 and they'll be looking for the grades not what subjects you've taken assuming you've got the compulsory subjects which i assume would only be maths. In my school (standard comprehensive) aside from oxbridge, medicine, dentistry applicants i don't know anyone who got a uni rejection. That's to say they all got 5 offers and this is very standard. So pick what you think you'll enjoy as it's more important what grades you get than what subjects you pick providing you have the compulsory ones for the course.

with the subjects you're taking already (maths and economics) keeping sciences such as bio and chem keeps options open for scientific careers and degrees if you had a change of heart where as the other subjects don't fit so logically. Therefore personally i'd keep the sciences as i loved those a levels and they're well respected and extremely useful.

Thank you for the suggestions. This was extremely useful! :biggrin:
Check what your school is offering - some have A levels in blocks and you need to check choices fit.

Some are changing to offering only three next year because of the new courses.

If you are thinking about studying maths at uni then take Further maths; if Ecoomics the choice of other A levels is not so crucial.

Any other advice re specific courses will be out of date as some new A levels start next year and no-one knows what they will be like to study.

I want to do:
and

- BIOLOGY
- CHEMISTRY
- GERMAN
- PSYCHOLOGY
- SOCIOLOGY

I agree with the person who suggested German and Further Maths. But, just saying, I have a friend who is in LSE now who got 3 A*s and an A and she took Maths Econ Chem Bio. 2 possible paths lol
Original post by em.d_4

I agree!!!
Suggest German, Chemistry because they are stronger and what they open up, either on their own (german) or in conjunction (chem+maths). Sciences and languages are fine subjects to study. I suggest avoiding taking psych/soc/or G&P to degree level.

I did German to A level, I'm pretty good at languages naturally but it's a step up from GCSE. OTOH you'll benefit from smaller and friendlier classes.

I wasn't at my best during my A levels, but I got through uni. So I wish you good luck. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Do you study A-Level Biology?

yep
Doing A levels in Economics, Maths, German, and Chemistry would be amazing. So many university options open!

But then there's chemistry...
Original post by AstroNandos
But then there's chemistry...

lol i'm guessing you're not a fan of chemistry?
Do what you enjoy and are good at. Also try to pick subjects that will lead into your university course well.
lol i'm guessing you're not a fan of chemistry?

Oh not in the slightest.

Although OP it's probably a useful A level to have so I'd have to pick chemistry and German from the list, but it depends on what you plan on doing after your A levels

Quick Reply

Latest