The Student Room Group

phospholipid bilayer question mark scheme error?

My teachers have always told me that the bilayer separates the cytoplasm from the environment(such as blood etc) however for some reason the mark scheme says not to allow this...can someone comment?

Thanks

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1419897694.158357.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1419897701.932571.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mutleybm1996
My teachers have always told me that the bilayer separates the cytoplasm from the environment(such as blood etc) however for some reason the mark scheme says not to allow this...can someone comment?

Thanks

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1419897694.158357.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1419897701.932571.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Mutleybm1996,
I reckon they've disallowed it because it isn't very specific, it's not a wrong answer.I guess saying that it seperated the cytoplasm from the external environment is sort of too obvious, the question to ask yourself is why does it do this? The answer to which is "to act as a barrier".
But agreed it does seem slightly harsh.
Have a good one

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do the same syllabus.

I think it's because, "separates from the outside" is so general. The phospholipid bilayer isn't there to just separate, it's there to act as a barrier, allowing certain things to pass in and out of the cell via the plasma membrane.
Original post by plasmaman
Hi Mutleybm1996,
I reckon they've disallowed it because it isn't very specific, it's not a wrong answer.I guess saying that it seperated the cytoplasm from the external environment is sort of too obvious, the question to ask yourself is why does it do this? The answer to which is "to act as a barrier".
But agreed it does seem slightly harsh.
Have a good one

Original post by DelReyRevolution
I do the same syllabus.

I think it's because, "separates from the outside" is so general. The phospholipid bilayer isn't there to just separate, it's there to act as a barrier, allowing certain things to pass in and out of the cell via the plasma membrane.

Thanks! It is rather annoying though :frown: :frown: :frown:
Thanks! It is rather annoying though :frown: :frown: :frown:

Haha tell me about it
Do you get those dodgy How Science Works questions on OCR?
AQA are the devil for those
I've done this question many times... 🙈 so the components are individual things in the bilayer that functionally contribute to the bilayer it self or in some cases to the cytoplasm i.e channel proteins in allowing stuff to actively go in and out of the cell. Hence rather than writing about the functions of the phospholipid bilayer as a whole, it would be more logical to answer the question regarding the individual components they have pointed out. For example obviously we know a house is important for shelter, keeps us warm etc etc. Each room is a component of the house and has different functions depending on the room. They all contribute to the overall house. This is similar to the question. The bilayer is the house and the proteins, heads, tails, and cholesterol are the rooms. Its asking about the functions of the rooms not the house. Hope this helps! :smile:

As long as you want it and work for it hard enough, there is not a thing you cannot achieve. Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest