The Student Room Group

Do guys pretend to be players?

Weird title I know
right so Im talking to this guy (18) online, and weve spoken for like 2 days. He's given me the impression he's the party hard kinda guy, always getting drunk and getting it on with girls
but.. Something about him (don't ask me what I have no clue) tells me he's lying? Now I know I'm overly analytical (to the point of being slightly weird id imagine) but it's from his selfies to his whole character
ive never flirted (intentionally lol) and am certainly not about to start looking for a relationship online.. So it wouldn't be a method of friend zoning me surely?

my only guess is he's a bit of a loner irl so wants to make others think he's 'cool' and whatnot. Not that I really care, he's good to talk to/good fun/passes time (mean as that sounds)

any thoughts appreciated cheers!
Reply 1
You ever watched Catfish: The TV Show
Reply 2
Original post by 061194
You ever watched Catfish: The TV Show

No but I know what it is
I've dealt with various catfishes in the past the disgusting creatures

I'm imagining he's just faking a personality if he's a bit of a recluse

I can't see this 'friendship' going anywhere they tend to fizzle out anyway :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
No but I know what it is
I've dealt with various catfishes in the past the disgusting creatures

I'm imagining he's just faking a personality if he's a bit of a recluse

I can't see this 'friendship' going anywhere they tend to fizzle out anyway :tongue:

Im 20 and If this guys 18 and your much younger than he is .He has only one thing on his mind .That s just my humble opinion.
Yeah and possibly the most non-cool thing ever. If anyone self-titles themself a 'player' or a 'bit of a bad boy' then you know they are just trying to cultivate an image that's not them.

A guy that is a real player, you can tell a mile off because he will be outrageously good looking, naturally confident and charming with women, and have an edge to him that says you know he is likely to be charming multiple women at the same time and will flit from one to another, but women actually don't mind anyway because he is hot and they like the excitement and risk of being charmed by him even if they suspect what is coming.

You can also tell a mile off when a guy is trying to cultivate that image.

It's something I saw in Freshers Week to be honest, a couple of guys trying to reinvent themselves, you could tell by their stories that something wasn't quite 'right', they had great stories about how they were heartbreakers with women before they got to uni at college, but strangely at uni they are shy around girls and not particularly confident or willing to talk to them. It's cringeworthy.

I've also seen a couple of posters on TSR like this as well, they like to paint themselves as some kind of bastion of advice on how to get with girls, and will come on and derail threads with all sorts of personal anecdotes all around the theme of how they have multiple options with women, how they ruthlessly dump women for the smallest reason and how their indifferent attitude towards relationships has women desperate for them and hence they are giving their advice on how to be a badass alpha. I'm sure everybody reading their posts just has a quiet chuckle and knows that this is just them living out their fantasies on an internet forum.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Yeah and possibly the most non-cool thing ever. If anyone self-titles themself a 'player' or a 'bit of a bad boy' then you know they are just trying to cultivate an image that's not them.

A guy that is a real player, you can tell a mile off because he will be outrageously good looking, naturally confident and charming with women, and have an edge to him that says you know he is likely to be charming multiple women at the same time and will flit from one to another, but women actually don't mind anyway because he is hot and they like the excitement and risk of being charmed by him even if they suspect what is coming.

It's something I saw in Freshers Week to be honest, a couple of guys trying to reinvent themselves, you could tell by their stories that something wasn't quite 'right', they had great stories about how they were heartbreakers with women before they got to uni at college, but strangely at uni they are shy around girls and not particularly confident or willing to talk to them. It's cringeworthy.

I've also seen a couple of posters on TSR like this as well, they like to paint themselves as some kind of bastion of advice on how to get with girls, and will come on and derail threads with all sorts of personal anecdotes all around the theme of how they have multiple options with women, how they ruthlessly dump women for the smallest reason and how their indifferent attitude towards relationships has women desperate for them and hence they are giving their advice on how to be a badass alpha. I'm sure everybody reading their posts just has a quiet chuckle and knows that this is just them living out their fantasies on an internet forum.

This guy talks sense, and I'm not just saying that because he's a broncos fan :smile: :biggrin: :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by 061194
Im 20 and If this guys 18 and your much younger than he is .He has only one thing on his mind .That s just my humble opinion.

Well I'm 17. And he looks about 18 anyway
Well the second something inappropriate comes through I'm out :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by MagicNMedicine

Yup I agree. I've been close with several players (platonically) so I just felt like as good as this guys 'cover' is... Well there's a difference!
The TSR 'popular group' wannabes are embarrassing I know.. It's mighty amusing though
It's a shame there's honestly no need to lie - if you're gonna lie to a girl do it immaculately or not at all because you will be found out :tongue:
Original post by Anonymous

but.. Something about him (don't ask me what I have no clue) tells me he's lying?

My experience on these things is that your gut instinct is usually a pretty good guide.

The problem comes that sometimes people override their gut instinct, because humans are susceptible to believing something that they want to believe.

So for instance if you want to believe a guy is a particular way, eg he's really cool and popular and has loads of options but just chooses you because you are special, you are more susceptible to believing that even if your gut is telling you that it's not really true.

The solution I have come to is listen strongly to my gut instinct on someone. If someone seems fake, there's a reason you suspect it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending