The Student Room Group

DofE help!!!

Hello, I know this is not too relevant to gcse's but I am about to start my gcse courses and start my DofE bronze stage. I took a look at what is classified as a skill in the skills section, I saw that criminology was one option, this is great because I am really into it but I am a bit baffled because I do not know what to do. Do I start it Independently with no tutor or do I need one?, who asses me on it? what should I do and learn?
Reply 1
Original post by dpboy00
Hello, I know this is not too relevant to gcse's but I am about to start my gcse courses and start my DofE bronze stage. I took a look at what is classified as a skill in the skills section, I saw that criminology was one option, this is great because I am really into it but I am a bit baffled because I do not know what to do. Do I start it Independently with no tutor or do I need one?, who asses me on it? what should I do and learn?

"...who asses...." you on it? :facepalm: oh dear.
In any case the best option is to probably look for someone with experience in that area- maybe a family friend or likewise? You can absolutely do it independently but you must have someone to assess you, preferably with prior knowledge in that area :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Treen98
"...who asses...." you on it? :facepalm: oh dear.
In any case the best option is to probably look for someone with experience in that area- maybe a family friend or likewise? You can absolutely do it independently but you must have someone to assess you, preferably with prior knowledge in that area :smile:

Thanks for your help! I don't think I know anyone who has had any experience in the field can I not just get assessed by a parent/older sibling
Reply 3
Original post by dpboy00
Thanks for your help! I don't think I know anyone who has had any experience in the field can I not just get assessed by a parent/older sibling

Technically no, but you'll find that no one really follows this kind of thing up, however it may look a little suspicious if they share a last name with you- maybe an aunt/cousin etc. :wink:
Reply 4
okay, thank you for helping! I'll see who I can find
Original post by Treen98
Technically no, but you'll find that no one really follows this kind of thing up, however it may look a little suspicious if they share a last name with you- maybe an aunt/cousin etc. :wink:

i have to disagree with you, one of my friends had his uncle 'teach' him fishing.

The school was suspicious and call the uncles employer asking what relevant fishing experience he had put on his Ciriccuum Vitae.

Its not worth the risk of being caught and gaining a reputation for dishonesty or being barred from Gold and Silver

Don't fake it... it will catch up with you and if it goes on a CV in the future and it's found out that you lied you won't get that job (remember the fakers on The Apprentice?).

You WILL get found out if you lie - not immediately maybe...

By the way, remember that this forum is also read by people who run the DofE......
Reply 6
Original post by Lazy Cynic
i have to disagree with you, one of my friends had his uncle 'teach' him fishing.

The school was suspicious and call the uncles employer asking what relevant fishing experience he had put on his Ciriccuum Vitae.

Its not worth the risk of being caught and gaining a reputation for dishonesty or being barred from Gold and Silver

Don't fake it... it will catch up with you and if it goes on a CV in the future and it's found out that you lied you won't get that job (remember the fakers on The Apprentice?).

By the way, remember that this forum is also read by people who run the DofE......

Thanks for letting me know but I really have no clue to find a suitable assessor....
Reply 7
Original post by Lazy Cynic

I suppose you are right in saying this that it will catch up with you if you lie but when doing DofE I was led to believe by my supervisors that a non-immediate family member such as an aunt or an uncle was a suitable assessor :confused:
Maybe it has changed or I was misinformed but its certainly what my group was led to believe.
Reply 8
Original post by dpboy00
Thanks for letting me know but I really have no clue to find a suitable assessor....

How about a school geography teacher? :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Treen98
How about a school geography teacher? :smile:

A school geography teacher seems fine, I was just told anyone but a family member :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by dpboy00

If you were to research by yourself and then perhaps do your own project on it could you maybe get a tutor of teacher from your school to check it over and be your assessor? As long as they can see you have put a suitable amount of work and effort into it I'm sure this would be ok?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Aaahhh DofE. I never completed mine; I never started a physical, didn't get my volunteering or skills signed off (teachers terminated my account before I could) and I got food poisoning the night before my qualifying expedition so didn't go.
Personally I think you should only do DofE if you're organised, committed and willing to spend the night in awful weather and a tent with people you don't even like that much (my case :tongue:). Me and my friends only did it because we thought it was UCAS points, but it's not on the list and isn't worth putting on your application unless you've done silver or gold. (yr11)

Quick Reply

Latest