The Student Room Group

James Bond to become black? Thoughts?

I don't know really ... I couldn't say yes or no to be honest. It just does seem a bit strange.

Thoughts on this?

Scroll to see replies

Who cares what his colour is??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reptilian
Who cares what his colour is??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well not really ... but in the Ian Flemming books he's white and Scottish.

I don't know ... it's just really bizarre.
Idris Elba hasn't actually been cast yet, there was just a leaked email from an executive saying that she wanted him to play Bond. As well as that, Daniel Craig still has two more films to go.
Good. Idris Elba would make a great Bond.

Original post by Dr Pesto
Idris Elba hasn't actually been cast yet, there was just a leaked email from an executive saying that she wanted him to play Bond. As well as that, Daniel Craig still has two more films to go.

Shame. I'd rather they got rid of him now about brought Elba in. Craig has always seemed strange as Bond to me because he doesn't seem to have any authoritive demeanour about him. If he were a teacher you'd probably think he was a supply you could mug off whereas Elba would get your respect instantly.
Original post by Modern Casanova

Yes and how many of the last few actors have been Scottish? What difference will it make to the whole Bond theme if he's black?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Messiah Complex
Good. Idris Elba would make a great Bond.

Shame. I'd rather they got rid of him now about brought Elba in. Craig has always seemed strange as Bond to me because he doesn't seem to have any authoritive demeanour about him. If he were a teacher you'd probably think he was a supply you could mug off whereas Elba would get your respect instantly.

It's weird that you say that, there was a supply teacher who occasionally worked at my old school who was the spitting image of Daniel Craig. But yeah, I wasn't sure at first but now I quite like the idea of Elba playing Bond.

Yes and the Egyptians weren't White british or american but in exodus ...
How bizarre.

Let whoever can play the role well play it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Reptilian
Yes and how many of the last few actors have been Scottish? What difference will it make to the whole Bond theme if he's black?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I don't know ... you tell me haha
Reply 9
Political correctness for the sake of it, and no actual reason to necessitate the change beyond good PR for the companies.
Original post by Arkasia
Political correctness for the sake of it, and no actual reason to necessitate the change beyond good PR for the companies.

Or maybe they just think he'll be a good James Bond
Original post by Arkasia

Original post by Crystalz
Or maybe they just think he'll be a good James Bond

I agree with Arkasia ... it seems like a poor attempt of a political correctness stunt. It won't be too long before James Bond becomes Jane Bond.
I agree with Arkasia ... it seems like a poor attempt of a political correctness stunt. It won't be too long before James Bond becomes Jane Bond.

I don't think so. I don't understand why the character being black Is such a problem.
Original post by Crystalz
I don't think so. I don't understand why the character being black Is such a problem.

I can hear Ian Fleming turning in his coffin.

OK well you're obviously going to try make this a race thing when it isn't, so I see no need in responding to your question.
I don't know really ... I couldn't say yes or no to be honest. It just does seem a bit strange.

Thoughts on this?

All for it, Elba is a great actor. Doesn't matter what colour the person is, As long as someone can play the role very well, I don't see what the problem is. Bond has been changed so many times I just don't understand whats the fuss all about.

I hope Elba is remembered as a good Bond character, not the first black bond. ._.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Anonynmous
All for it, Elba is a great actor. Doesn't matter what colour the person is, As long as someone can play the role very well, I don't see what the problem is. Bond has been changed so many times I just don't understand whats the fuss all about.

I hope Elba is remembered as a good Bond character, not the first black bond. ._.

HA, well that's the thing he inevitably will become the next Bond, AND people will recall him in the future "as the black actor who played Bond".

I see someone like Tom Hardy being the next Bond ... he fits him so much more.
HA, well that's the thing he inevitably will become the next Bond, AND people will recall him in the future "as the black actor who played Bond".

I see someone like Tom Hardy being the next Bond ... he fits him so much more.

Imo, I don't really care who plays Bond tbh, as long as said person plays it well, I couldn't care less about skin colour, background etc.

Either of those can fit Bond perfectly well.

If Elba can pull it off (which I am sure he can if he gets the role), he will be remembered as a good Bond, not cos he's black (well a bit).
Original post by Arkasia

Or maybe he's a great actor? :confused: .
Reply 18
hmmm haven't seen any of the people complaining about a black james bond echoing similar sentiments regarding the all white cast of exodus, or 21, or the fact that white people were cast in the live adaptation of Avatar when literally no one is white in the cartoon, and two of the main characters were dark skinned.

The hypocrisy is amusing. Hollywood whitewashes everything it can get it's hands on lol.
Utter crap. Bond is not black he's white. More political correctness. And I don't care how many other films had people of the wrong race playing fictional characters. They were wrong to do that too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending