The Student Room Group

General Discussion Further Pure 1 - 4 Maths 2015 [All Exam Boards]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kingaaran
Where can I get them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

amazon search them. theyre are the old fp1-3 equaivalents back in the days. really cheap aswell like a few quid each.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dalek1099
Complex numbers is by far the hardest chapter in FP2 I think everyone in my class agrees with that, I think there is some disagreement with what are the hardest parts of Complex numbers though I think Loci(I can't do the harder ones I just can't get my head around them I really can't visualise things) and W transformation(where you have to account for u and v and equate them to x and y the other type isn't that bad).

yh people in my class say that aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lyricalvibe
Remember me from English lit :colone:
You took further maths? How you finding it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't remember, haha - remind me?

Yes, I did take further maths, though - I love it!

It's going well, actually. I'm trying to perfect a few topics, like complex transformations, but hopefully, all should go well in june :smile:

You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Complex numbers is by far the hardest chapter in FP2 I think everyone in my class agrees with that, I think there is some disagreement with what are the hardest parts of Complex numbers though I think Loci(I can't do the harder ones I just can't get my head around them I really can't visualise things) and W transformation(where you have to account for u and v and equate them to x and y the other type isn't that bad).

I agree that the complex transformations are hard - I always seem to get it wrong :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
i would advise u people to get p5 p6 book if i was u guys. its the same to fp2 fp3 back then and its loads of extra questions. pretty good tbh

Thanks! I am doing FP2 edexcel. Any idea what other exam boards' past papers i can use to practice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apart from Complex numbers, what else?

I agree that the complex transformations are hard - I always seem to get it wrong :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anyway to get it right?

I agree. I found maclaurin series tricky but hoping it makes more sense when we go back over it, now that we've basically finished c3&4. starting to really worry about fp2.
Original post by rachelc142
I agree. I found maclaurin series tricky but hoping it makes more sense when we go back over it, now that we've basically finished c3&4. starting to really worry about fp2.

Maclaurin Series is really easy all you have to do is Differentiate it over and over and evaluate f,f',f'',f''' at x=0 and then put those values into here f(0)+f'(0)x+f''(0)x^2/2+f'''(0)x^3/6... I think this on the formula sheet too.Its just that the differentiation can get quite messy but that is FP2 for you most of the topics require intense algebraic manipulation.
Maclaurin Series is really easy all you have to do is Differentiate it over and over and evaluate f,f',f'',f''' at x=0 and then put those values into here f(0)+f'(0)x+f''(0)x^2/2+f'''(0)x^3/6... I think this on the formula sheet too.Its just that the differentiation can get quite messy but that is FP2 for you most of the topics require intense algebraic manipulation.

I love algebraic manipulation :smile:
But i heard somewhere in the thread that edexcel fp3 is easier? What are your thoughts?
Original post by DCMed96
But i heard somewhere in the thread that edexcel fp3 is easier? What are your thoughts?

The class haven't started FP3 but I already can do some of the topics and some of the topics aren't too bad.I know that several schools teach FP1 and FP3 and not FP2 suggesting its easier.A lot of the calculus in FP3 isn't much harder than C4 where as FP2 calculus is worlds harder but I don't have too much of a problem with it it is just very long winded.In FP3 you do a lot on hyperbolic trigonometry which you can just write in terms of e^x and e^-x and manipulate to prove identities and solve equations.I am terrified of the vector and matrices stuff at the moment it looks hard I am not a fan of vectors.
Original post by DCMed96

Anyway to get it right?

complex numbers isnt too bad. just try to understand it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DCMed96

Anyway to get it right?

No :frown:

I always make z the subject and substitute u + iv for w, but sometimes the mark schemes replace z instead :s! And I self-teach and none of my maths teachers know further maths well, so I have just keep trying... :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
amazon search them. theyre are the old fp1-3 equaivalents back in the days. really cheap aswell like a few quid each.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah thanks. Any other resources you know of?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah thanks. Any other resources you know of?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yh u can do the old papers which are on xtreme papers website. if u do all the questions in the book. review excercises etc and all the past papers u shud get 100ums. just practice and understand what u get wrong if u dont get it u can ask on here. good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
yh u can do the old papers which are on xtreme papers website. if u do all the questions in the book. review excercises etc and all the past papers u shud get 100ums. just practice and understand what u get wrong if u dont get it u can ask on here. good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't remember, haha - remind me?

Yes, I did take further maths, though - I love it!

It's going well, actually. I'm trying to perfect a few topics, like complex transformations, but hopefully, all should go well in june :smile:

You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're the reason I got near full ums in the English language exam_ thanks again!I did a couple past papers you told me what I needed for a high mark then went from a B->A* in the exam

That's pretty cool, what topics do you do?
Well we've only done summation of series but after half term were doing purely further maths as we've completed M1 and D1 basically- 1 topic left in each
Original post by lyricalvibe
You're the reason I got near full ums in the English language exam_ thanks again!I did a couple past papers you told me what I needed for a high mark then went from a B->A* in the exam

That's pretty cool, what topics do you do?
Well we've only done summation of series but after half term were doing purely further maths as we've completed M1 and D1 basically- 1 topic left in each

Oh right, I think I remember... :tongue:

Since I did AS Maths last year, I do C3, C4, M1, FP1, FP2 and D1 this year. I hate D1, though, it's so annoying - plus, I don't have a textbook yet, so I keep forgetting as I don't do any practice, haha :tongue: How are you finding it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No :frown:

I always make z the subject and substitute u + iv for w, but sometimes the mark schemes replace z instead :s! And I self-teach and none of my maths teachers know further maths well, so I have just keep trying... :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you can make z the subject, do that.

If it's like a quadratic, in z. Then replace with x+iy and u+iv and then compare real and imaginary.

If they ask for u and v in terms of x and y then try getting w isolated.

This is FP1 for me :colonhash:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
If you can make z the subject, do that.

If it's like a quadratic, in z. Then replace with x+iy and u+iv and then compare real and imaginary.

If they ask for u and v in terms of x and y then try getting w isolated.

This is FP1 for me :colonhash:

wtf. u did complex numbers in as year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
wtf. u did complex numbers in as year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My sixth form does C1-4 and M1 and S1 in Year 12. Then FP1-2, M/S 2-3 in Year 13.

I joined the class in Year 13 because I already had A2 maths. All the complex transformations is in FP1 though yeah
I'm actually doing the complex numbers chapter in Fp2 atm. I should be finishing the chapter today and moving onto another topic later. I had a long break but restarted yesterday.

Original post by DCMed96

I thought that Edexcel Fp3's easier than Fp2.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
My sixth form does C1-4 and M1 and S1 in Year 12. Then FP1-2, M/S 2-3 in Year 13.

I joined the class in Year 13 because I already had A2 maths. All the complex transformations is in FP1 though yeah

Oh nice. I'm doing 3 of your modules this year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending