The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by caitlin-moore
Has anyone had an interview at UEA/know what it's like and how I can prepare?

Hey I haven't had an interview at UEA but most are very similar. All I would say for any interview is make sure you do your research about slt and practice some questions :smile:
Original post by Ellice97
Hi guys, congratulations on interviews and offers!
Haven't posted in a while but a lot has happened, had my MMU, Mancheter and Newcastle interviews, all went well and met some lovely people :smile:

Still haven't heard anything off Sheffield :/ got rejected off DMU, emailed them asking why and 2 and a half weeks later they reply saying "lack of insight and no evidence of wider reading"....except I've written an Extended Project dissertation that's taken a year, with lots of extensive reading of articles and NHS proposals and various other sources! So a bit strange aha!

Ah well though, the best Christmas present has been given to me in the form of an offer from Newcastle University a week after my interview!! :biggrin: it's my top choice and I am thrilled, what a fab Christmas present :3

So yeah, thought I'd just give a bit of an update, hope everyone has a lovely Christmas and a happy successful new year!
Xx

If you want to know anything about Newcastle from a current first year then just let me know.
I've got an unconditional offer for next Sept - can't wait!
Reply 803
Original post by caitlin-moore
Has anyone had an interview at UEA/know what it's like and how I can prepare?

I have had the interview at UEA and my only advice would be to prepare. I think it is similar to other interviews in knowing your skills and experiences and how that links to becoming SLT.
If you prepare well i am sure it will go great.
Original post by daffy_brush
I've got an unconditional offer for next Sept - can't wait!

Congrats! Where are you headed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey all, I know this is really random. But, as I didn't get offered a place last year, im concerned that I may not get offered a place this year either. Has anyone got a backup course they would apply for if they didn't get a place? I have tried researching other careers and none of them appeal to me, so I'm worried that I can't figure out a back up career route! Ahhh!
Original post by nesca89
Hey all, I know this is really random. But, as I didn't get offered a place last year, im concerned that I may not get offered a place this year either. Has anyone got a backup course they would apply for if they didn't get a place? I have tried researching other careers and none of them appeal to me, so I'm worried that I can't figure out a back up career route! Ahhh!

If you adamant on Speech Therapy then doing a Linguistics undergrad or Psychology could help? They're both relevant and both allow you to either re-do undergrad SaLT or do it at masters. Lancaster and Bangor do a combination of the two and they're ranked highly for it? ( I remember you saying you didn't want to go too far and I think they're fairly close to Manchester)

Tbh, you haven't been rejected yet so you might be fine!
Original post by JordanC55
If you adamant on Speech Therapy then doing a Linguistics undergrad or Psychology could help? They're both relevant and both allow you to either re-do undergrad SaLT or do it at masters. Lancaster and Bangor do a combination of the two and they're ranked highly for it? ( I remember you saying you didn't want to go too far and I think they're fairly close to Manchester)

Tbh, you haven't been rejected yet so you might be fine!

I have considered doing another degree, but then that would take me a lot longer. I am adamant that I want to be a speech therapist but I do feel like I need a back up just in case. Preferably a degree that would have me qualify as something if that makes sense. I know I haven't been rejected yet, I suppose I'm thinking... What if! :frown:
Original post by nesca89
I have considered doing another degree, but then that would take me a lot longer. I am adamant that I want to be a speech therapist but I do feel like I need a back up just in case. Preferably a degree that would have me qualify as something if that makes sense. I know I haven't been rejected yet, I suppose I'm thinking... What if! :frown:

Hey Nesca, I'm sure that having had an extra year of experience and also time to reflect on your application and interview experiences last year that you will be fine this year and will be offered a place :smile:

On the off chance that you are not, perhaps it would be worth looking into phonetics and linguistics/speech science degree through clearing and then doing a post grad slt course? I totally understand about it taking longer but if you have your heart set on being a slt then maybe it is worth the wait instead of studying for a career that you will always feel to be a second choice? doing a speech science degree followed by a post grad slt course will take five years whereas the straight undergrad slt course takes 4 years at most unis anyhow. A year really isn't that long in the whole grand scheme of things.

But... positive thinking, I'm sure that you will be fine for a place this year as you can show that you haven't given up hope and have developed since your last application. I have my fingers and toes crossed for you x
Original post by nesca89

Like Madagascar mentioned, it may be worth looking into a Lang science or Linguistics degree and do postgrad because in total it'll only be an additional year! Also, I remember you saying you've only applied to two unis, if you really want to do a SaLT undergrad then perhaps you should apply to unis further afield and use all 5 choices cause you're drastically narrowing your options otherwise.
I don't know if this would be of any interest to people but I thought I'd count up the amount of applications made by people on the student room forum and where they'd applied in accordance with the application table and tally the results it's quite interesting read:

DMU - 16
Reading - 13
BCU - 11
Manchester Met - 11
Manchester - 10
Sheffield - 10
Leeds Beckett - 9
Newcastle - 9
City - 8.
UEA -7
Cardiff met - 6
QMU - 2
Strathclyde - 1

Makes for an interesting read!
I don't know if this would be of any interest to people but I thought I'd count up the amount of applications made by people on the student room forum and where they'd applied in accordance with the application table and tally the results it's quite interesting read:

DMU - 16
Reading - 13
BCU - 11
Manchester Met - 11
Manchester - 10
Sheffield - 10
Leeds Beckett - 9
Newcastle - 9
City - 8.
UEA -7
Cardiff met - 6
QMU - 2
Strathclyde - 1

That is quite interesting 😊

There are also 5 applications for marjon
Original post by nesca89

MMU are starting a postgrad SLT course from next year for psychology graduates.

I probably would have gone down the psychology route if things didn't work out for me but I also considered audiology.

There were a few vacancies in clearing this year and there is also Extra if you are willing to go further afield to do SLT

But I am sure you will be fine - you may have some good news soon if MMU follow last years timings xx
Original post by nesca89

Lots of universities have courses which are SLT in all but name. They basically lack the clinical modules. You would basically learn most of the knowledge behind SLT and be in a strong position to apply for SLT in future. Otherwise any of the subjects mentioned so far look sensible.

Did you get interviews last year? Are you a better applicant this time round? It may not be an issue of knowledge but of experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 814
I couldn't work put how to put myself on but I have offers from reading and Cardiff met of someone could put me on the table :smile:

DMU - 16
Reading - 13
BCU - 11
Manchester Met - 11
Manchester - 10
Sheffield - 10
Leeds Beckett - 9
Newcastle - 9
City - 8.
UEA -7
Cardiff met - 6
QMU - 2
Strathclyde - 1

Original post by jk1995
I couldn't work put how to put myself on but I have offers from reading and Cardiff met of someone could put me on the table :smile:

Hi jk, Many congrats on your offers!:biggrin:

I have added you to the table :smile: Have you applied anywhere else? I can add in any other places/interviews etc if you would like? Also when did you apply?
Original post by Emmargh
Can we not message for feedback?
Did you get an interview? What is your experience so far?

I got shortlisted for the questionnaire, sent it back and got an offer for Lang Sciences instead of SLT within two days. I asked why they thought I didn't meet the mark, and apparently my personal statement was awesome, my grades are above par, my work experience and 'report on someone with language difficulties' was great along with my depth of wider reading, but I 'lacked insight into the profession in my answers to why people may not attend appointments'. I don't understand :\
Reply 817
Thanks so much! I've just applied to those as I didn't want to move very far away! :smile:

Original post by madagascar
Hi jk, Many congrats on your offers!:biggrin:

I have added you to the table :smile: Have you applied anywhere else? I can add in any other places/interviews etc if you would like? Also when did you apply?
How long does it normally take to get a response from the unis?
How long does it normally take to get a response from the unis?

It depends on the universities. Some give offers as they interview. Others wait until a few days before they have to inform students. Once you get your first offer the pressure defiantly lifts!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest