The Student Room Group

AS Sociologyy

- Examine the factors affecting power relationships and the division of labour between couples (24 mark)

- Identify three government policies that may have reduced social class differences in educational achievement (6 marks)
Reply 1
Can someone help me with the first question worth 24 marks
I'm probably on a different exam board, but I'm guessing the main ideas are still the same:
Societal expectations, i.e. people expect women to do the majority of the housework
Gender role theory, i.e. some activities are more 'acceptable' for men to do, e.g. DIY
Patterns in work, i.e. if men generally work more they have less time to participate in domestic labour
(although there is a study which shows that when men are unemployed they still do less on average)
With power relationships you could probably talk about money control and childcare etc. and I'm assuming domestic violence could come into the 'power' part.
And maybe look at same sex relationships and whether the power balance is different in them?
I did AS last year so I can't remember the specific theorists for those examples but they're probably quite easy to find..
Hope this helps! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by ffion-siaaan
I'm probably on a different exam board, but I'm guessing the main ideas are still the same:
Societal expectations, i.e. people expect women to do the majority of the housework
Gender role theory, i.e. some activities are more 'acceptable' for men to do, e.g. DIY
Patterns in work, i.e. if men generally work more they have less time to participate in domestic labour
(although there is a study which shows that when men are unemployed they still do less on average)
With power relationships you could probably talk about money control and childcare etc. and I'm assuming domestic violence could come into the 'power' part.
And maybe look at same sex relationships and whether the power balance is different in them?
I did AS last year so I can't remember the specific theorists for those examples but they're probably quite easy to find..
Hope this helps! :biggrin:

Thanks!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest