The Student Room Group

James Bond to become black? Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Daniel Craig is an awful 'Bond', as far as Flemming's character is concerned. He's more like Jason Bourne. That's the reason all of Craig's films, aside from Skyfall, have been awful.

James Bond is about gadgets, supercars, women, guns and great villains. Only Skyfall had even an acceptable level of those things within the Craig-Bond line-up.

James Bond is about throwing chunks of meat to make crocodiles line up, then stepping on their heads to get to safety.

If Idris Elba brings this back to the cinema then I'm more than happy for him to play the next Bond.
I'm White and I find it racist that James Bond, a character that was was created White is being destroyed. I find it even more racist that Europe's White population is being replaced with Blacks and other people and it's celebrated as diversity when it's genocide. So much for privilege.
Reply 22
If he can pull it off then fair play to him, my problem is some films are just recycled, and the cast's colours changed 'just because'.

I mean look at Annie ffs... proof that you should focus on acting ability first, colour after.
Reply 23
Political Correctness shouldn't come into the casting of the next James Bond. Regardless of whether this is the case or a White Bond was getting all-too familiar there should not be a Bond that is not true to Flemming's literature.

You wouldn't expect to go to a Shakespeare play and expect to find that Romeo's persona is homosexual and in love with a guy named Carl, you go to see the play as the author intended.

If someone wants to release a James Bond film and not associate it with Flemming's intellectual property, then by all means they should go for it. I wouldn't mind seeing a Black Bond, but I personally expect to see Flemming's character true to his writings.
Because one thread wasn't enough. They've already run out of Fleming books to turn into films so anything here on in is rogue.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tai Ga
hmmm haven't seen any of the people complaining about a black james bond echoing similar sentiments regarding the all white cast of exodus, or 21, or the fact that white people were cast in the live adaptation of Avatar when literally no one is white in the cartoon, and two of the main characters were dark skinned.

The hypocrisy is amusing. Hollywood whitewashes everything it can get it's hands on lol.

And it's beeen doing this for generations.

Cleopatra, West Side story, pretty much every film which featured a prominent Native American cast, even Othello which is the sole Shakespearean play to have a black protagonist has been played by "black faced" white men for hundreds of years have been played by white people yet funnily enough casting a fictional character as a black man would be an outrage :K: .

I wouldn't say its Politically Correct to cast a BRITISH, excellent actor as a fictional spy agent who changes his form every few years and has been played by people of numerous nationalities and hair colours.

For the record OP, Idris hasn't actually been cast as bond ffs.
(edited 9 years ago)
But the character isn't black. Casting race to fit the character isn't racist. It's just to match the description.
You wouldn't cast the main guy in 12 years a slave white would you?
Original post by Modern Casanova
I can hear Ian Fleming turning in his coffin.

OK well you're obviously going to try make this a race thing when it isn't, so I see no need in responding to your question.

Well isn't it. It's the only thing different about him and other bonds
Original post by 105263
Political Correctness shouldn't come into the casting of the next James Bond. Regardless of whether this is the case or a White Bond was getting all-too familiar there should not be a Bond that is not true to Flemming's literature.

You wouldn't expect to go to a Shakespeare play and expect to find that Romeo's persona is homosexual and in love with a guy named Carl, you go to see the play as the author intended.

If someone wants to release a James Bond film and not associate it with Flemming's intellectual property, then by all means they should go for it. I wouldn't mind seeing a Black Bond, but I personally expect to see Flemming's character true to his writings.

Except that none of the actors have actually resembled Bond the way Fleming described him. Fleming said he looked like Hoagy Carmichael and none of them have resembled him in the slightest.

Plus they ran out of Fleming books decades ago and there are only fourteen of them and there are twenty three films, so about nine of them have had nothing to do with Fleming's intellectual property beyond having his character, whose author regards him akin to Sherlock Holmes and didn't really care about continuity. Bond's scottish ancestry was put in after Connery's performance because Fleming liked it and changed the character after Dr. No was released.

Elba would make an awesome Bond.

Original post by Arkasia
Political correctness for the sake of it, and no actual reason to necessitate the change beyond good PR for the companies.

No real reason not to do it either.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 29
He should be white.
Original post by Native Europ34n
I'm White and I find it racist that James Bond, a character that was was created White is being destroyed. I find it even more racist that Europe's White population is being replaced with Blacks and other people and it's celebrated as diversity when it's genocide. So much for privilege.

LOOOL looks like someone is angry about us ethnic 'minorities' taking over
Just listen to yourself pillock

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its like making gandalf black. It makes no sense. I suppose his hair has had drastic chsnge which annoys me so he can be black.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Daveishere
Its like making gandalf black. It makes no sense. I suppose his hair has had drastic chsnge which annoys me so he can be black.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Strawberry68
But the character isn't black. Casting race to fit the character isn't racist. It's just to match the description.
You wouldn't cast the main guy in 12 years a slave white would you?

The character of James Bond is a spy. That's the main premise. Any one can be a spy regardless of race. 12 years a slave is a historical film. In fact one of the only films in which Hollywood has been historically accurate. No white person wants to play a slave, in another time period it'd probably make sense though. James Bond being black is not the same. People saying oh he should be white Scottish are being ridiculous because he hasnt been Scottish for a while. He could be Russian and the outrage wouldn't be matched. There is no way to justify outrage at bond not being black.
Original post by Native Europ34n

Yes because we should all stay in the countries western countries colonised, enslaved and set back decades economically. No more gold, timber, diamonds and natural treasures there for us, now go back to your barren lands right?
Why do people give a ****?
Reply 35
Original post by ParadiseFound
And it's beeen doing this for generations.

Cleopatra, West Side story, pretty much every film which featured a prominent Native American cast, even Othello which is the sole Shakespearean play to have a black protagonist has been played by "black faced" white men for hundreds of years have been played by white people yet funnily enough casting a fictional character as a black man would be an outrage :K: .

I wouldn't say its Politically Correct to cast a BRITISH, excellent actor as a fictional spy agent who changes his form every few years and has been played by people of numerous nationalities and hair colours.

For the record OP, Idris hasn't actually been cast as bond ffs.

:yy: Yup.

The man hasn't even been cast yet, and he's already causing so much outrage :s-smilie:

What's funny is people automatically assuming that's it political correctness causing Idris to even be considered for the role when in actuality, they might just consider him a great actor who'd bring life to it. They share the same sort of mentality as those who assume every ethnic person in the workplace was employed to fill quotas :rofl: Racism underlines their thoughts and they don't even realise.
(edited 9 years ago)
If people are outraged that Bond could be black, they should be just as outraged when black/other minority roles are filled by white people, but they're not. White people have been playing roles that should have been for black/asian/whatever actors for years, so at this point James Bond should really be any colour as long as he's British. The past Bonds haven't fit the books description at all, and in case you haven't noticed there are many non-white people in Britain.
Original post by AdamskiUK
Daniel Craig is an awful 'Bond', as far as Flemming's character is concerned. He's more like Jason Bourne. That's the reason all of Craig's films, aside from Skyfall, have been awful.

James Bond is about gadgets, supercars, women, guns and great villains. Only Skyfall had even an acceptable level of those things within the Craig-Bond line-up.

James Bond is about throwing chunks of meat to make crocodiles line up, then stepping on their heads to get to safety.

If Idris Elba brings this back to the cinema then I'm more than happy for him to play the next Bond.

Daniel Craig is probably the closest portrayal of Flemings Bond we've had.

As for the original question, I don't think it would work. I think if they did it it would get panned by the critics.
Original post by tupper_ware
If people are outraged that Bond could be black, they should be just as outraged when black/other minority roles are filled by white people, but they're not. White people have been playing roles that should have been for black/asian/whatever actors for years, so at this point James Bond should really be any colour as long as he's British. The past Bonds haven't fit the books description at all, and in case you haven't noticed there are many non-white people in Britain.

There's are many none whites in Britain, but not that many non whites who were raised in a Scottish orphanage after their wealthy land owning family dies, and become a commander in the Royal Navy.
Original post by MatureStudent36
There's are many none whites in Britain, but not that many non whites who were raised in a Scottish orphanage after their wealthy land owning family dies, and become a commander in the Royal Navy.

Neither is this impossible, and it's not like all the Bond movies have stuck or made reference to this past.

Quick Reply