The Student Room Group

James Bond to become black? Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Crystalz
There are differences in the actions of a lesbian and a hetrosexual. There are differences in the actions of a female and a male. There are no differences in the actions of a Black person and a White person apart from the colour of skin.
No changes to the story are made by making Bond black. Changes have to be made to make Bond female or Homosexual. If Daniel Craig were to be Black the story/movie would be exactly the same. So no it is not the same.

Except what you said is untrue. If bond is female what difference does it make? Well, the gender of the love interest and maybe slightly toned down action scenes, the story would be exactly the same. Same with hetero vs homo, the story is the same, and it hardly changes the fact that if you run the other way there would be outcry.

Original post by HarryBarney
Jesus was a brown man from the middle east but he's white with blonde hair and blue eyes.

But he's also portrayed as Indian, Hispanic, Asian, black, an Arab, any every other ethnicity under the sun, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same goes for santa, or at least the relevant ethnicities where he's a major figure.
Don't care.

James Bond films bore me.
Original post by RFowler
Sometimes it is actually racist. This is not one of those times. It is only "racist" to people who've stretched the word so far in their own heads that it is far beyond its actual meaning. People seem to forget what disgusting and despicable things the word "racism" actually describes, and misusing the term like that is probably pretty offensive to people who've been through actual racism.

You can't change a character's race like that, it just doesn't work. It's about as stupid changing James Bond into a female character. Ever heard the word "continuity"?

Inb4toldcontinuityalreadybroken

Just watch them ramble about how there have been what? something like 10 bonds over the years so we can already throw continuity out of the window.
Original post by Modern Casanova
I don't know really ... I couldn't say yes or no to be honest. It just does seem a bit strange.

Thoughts on this?

It's ****ing awesome, the actor they have lined up fits the whol cool, badass bond image. I see no downpoints to this, there is literally no reason why this should be less than celebrated
Original post by P357
Well,can you throw out some good examples of when white people have been cast in roles that should have been filled by oriental people or black people maybe?
The examples I've seen thrown around of when white people have supposedly played an ethnic character is when said character is of a middle-eastern background(i.e. Israeli jesus or the generally-quite-pale persians or arabs as a whole). I quite frankly am surprised that people would make a fuss about that sort of thing...it's quite obvious why a hollywood producer would do that(you wage on the big names when you set out to produce a box-smashing blockbuster...whilst trying to stick to the appearance of said character-i.e. you wouldn't get a blonde hollywood actor playing jesus would you?)....Bond,as a black dude,just wouldn't be believable...When you set an actor to play a different ethnicity you'll usually make sure they resemble what the character's supposed to look like to some degree...

I can't think really think of any white-washing beyond this...Hollywood-made films might have a japanese woman play a chinese woman but they won't ever cast i don't know,Frida Svensson as the empress of china or whatever...Idris is Bond is only intended to prove a point.

Look at my previous post where I've attached an artists sketch of what Ian Fleming imagined Bond to look like. Daniel Craig doesn't look anymore similar to that sketch than Idris Elba. Only thing that makes him slightly more similar is his skin colour.

Also,I love how you understand that white people can be cast as middle eastern people and how youre surprised 'anyone would make a fuss about this' but as soon as another race is cast to play a supposedly white character you whine and bitch. Double standards.
Original post by Tai Ga
And you know this how? Got a source from SONY's mouth saying that was their reasoning? Or are you basing that statement on your own narrow minded views.

Excellent justification for hollywood's long term white washing, and removal of opportunities for ethnic actors.

Idris is well known name and his casting would probably widen their target audience. Since there's a high chance the film would be successful it should all be ok then right?

I can honestly say if never heard of Idris before. The actor doesn't get the target market. Its a combination of factors.
Original post by P357
Well,can you throw out some good examples of when white people have been cast in roles that should have been filled by oriental people or black people maybe?
The examples I've seen thrown around of when white people have supposedly played an ethnic character is when said character is of a middle-eastern background(i.e. Israeli jesus or the generally-quite-pale persians or arabs as a whole). I quite frankly am surprised that people would make a fuss about that sort of thing...it's quite obvious why a hollywood producer would do that(you wage on the big names when you set out to produce a box-smashing blockbuster...whilst trying to stick to the appearance of said character-i.e. you wouldn't get a blonde hollywood actor playing jesus would you?)....Bond,as a black dude,just wouldn't be believable...When you set an actor to play a different ethnicity you'll usually make sure they resemble what the character's supposed to look like to some degree...

I can't think really think of any white-washing beyond this...Hollywood-made films might have a japanese woman play a chinese woman but they won't ever cast i don't know,Frida Svensson as the empress of china or whatever...Idris is Bond is only intended to prove a point.

There aren't many black roles but

Mena Suvari in stuck, blonde woman playing a charecter that was supposed to be black
Josh Hartnett in 30 days of night, white man playing inuit person
Angelina Jolie in A mighty Heart playing a mixed race woman. She even darkened her skin
Jim sturgess in 21 white playing Asian
Justin Chatwin playing Goku in dragonball evolution
and the examples i mentioned before there's more i cant be bothered to list. It's fairly common.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Except what you said is untrue. If bond is female what difference does it make? Well, the gender of the love interest and maybe slightly toned down action scenes, the story would be exactly the same. Same with hetero vs homo, the story is the same, and it hardly changes the fact that if you run the other way there would be outcry.

But he's also portrayed as Indian, Hispanic, Asian, black, an Arab, any every other ethnicity under the sun, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same goes for santa, or at least the relevant ethnicities where he's a major figure.

Lots, no bond girl, different romances, different dynamic, different story/
Original post by RFowler
Sometimes it is actually racist. This is not one of those times. It is only "racist" to people who've stretched the word so far in their own heads that it is far beyond its actual meaning. People seem to forget what disgusting and despicable things the word "racism" actually describes, and misusing the term like that is probably pretty offensive to people who've been through actual racism.

You can't change a character's race like that, it just doesn't work. It's about as stupid changing James Bond into a female character. Ever heard the word "continuity"?

Doesn't work like that. Obviously there are worse cases of racism but that doesn't mean this isn't racism.

What ****ing continuity man? They've gone through so many actors and changed pretty much every movie significantly from the books ( some of them have zero to do with the books) what stops them from introducing a new storyline this time?
Original post by RFowler

Racism is to discriminate against someone based on race. Not to just enslave them.
There is no other reason Idris should not be cast apart from race.
Reply 90
Original post by Crystalz
There aren't many black roles but

Mena Suvari in stuck, blonde woman playing a charecter that was supposed to be black
Josh Hartnett in 30 days of night, white man playing inuit person
Angelina Jolie in A mighty Heart playing a mixed race woman. She even darkened her skin
Jim sturgess in 21 white playing Asian
Justin Chatwin playing Goku in dragonball evolution
and the examples i mentioned before there's more i cant be bothered to list. It's fairly common.

don't forget the lone ranger, white kids playing dark-skinned characters in avatar and othello having white men in black face

But of course ethnics have an agenda to usurp white roles in hollywood, and there's no way we'd ever get them based on our own merits :dunce:
James Bond is a 94 year old ageless man who is both English and Scottish, short and tall, with black hair, blonde hair, grey hair, no hair. James Bond is no more a consistent set of physical features than Dr Who. He is a set of mannerisms and ideals, which can't indeed just be played by anyone, but I think Idris Elba could pull it off. I would be concerned if they had decided to cast a black Bond for political reasons and only then looked around for a suitable man to play him, but I don't think that's what they've done here.
(edited 9 years ago)
Why can't we see Jason Statham destroy people as the next bond :biggrin:

For a character that is well known i think it will be a very risky and bold move if they were to cast Elba. It's like how Thor is now becoming a women, it just wouldn't feel right.

There shouldn't be a need for change just for the sake of political correctness.
Reply 93
Original post by Thechillyone
Look at my previous post where I've attached an artists sketch of what Ian Fleming imagined Bond to look like. Daniel Craig doesn't look anymore similar to that sketch than Idris Elba. Only thing that makes him slightly more similar is his skin colour.

Also,I love how you understand that white people can be cast as middle eastern people and how youre surprised 'anyone would make a fuss about this' but as soon as another race is cast to play a supposedly white character you whine and bitch. Double standards.

There are similarities between the supposed sketch that you posted and Daniel Craig(to a much higher degree than Elba and the sketch),the first combo certainly has a lot more in common and it also sticks to the background of the character(i.e. half-swiss half-scotish dude could look like Daniel Craig). Not that it should be of any consideration to you personally,but do you remember the up-roar within the series' fan-boy community when Daniel Craig was cast as James Bond?He wasn't exactly welcomed with open arms...The guy himself even confessed to have stopped reading fan reviews ever since. The only reason why the outrage over possible casting has extended beyond the fan-base in this case it BECAUSE casting Elba is meant to prove a point.

And actually,thank you for being highly self-assuming,but it would make sense to me if a very-talented british actor of possible middle-eastern descent would play James Bond...as long as he could get into the role if would be believable. However I do not see a black or oriental actor doing it. Few genuine people do (again,the ones set out to prove a point don't come into this).
Original post by Modern Casanova
They've made Thor into a woman, because of political correctness (and an outcry from the Feminist board). And now they're making Bond black because someone from the media board believes there's a lack of black representation in the media.

A 'wider target audience'? Who else do you want it to reach lol? ... Are you suggesting that some people don't watch James Bond, because he's white?

I'm afraid that Bond will lose his identity if, and only if, he is replaced by a black actor. I can't imagine the outrage when he is replaced by a white/latino/asian/arab actor :biggrin::biggrin:

How do you know that? Maybe just maybe they decided Elba was good enough for the Job? I've nit heard of any significant complaints from anyone about James Bond not being black. Moat black people probably don't even give a **** what colour he is. Go away with you political correctness battlecry it's annoying.

Yes, this is obviously only speculation and it was only an example since I don't presume I can look into the producers heads unlike you. But it's possible they thought more black people would get into the Bond series if they give them something to identify with. Don't cry what about 'whites' there's been plenty already.

Well, then youre simply discriminating against one race. Still racism.
Original post by _Morsey_
Why can't we see Jason Statham destroy people as the next bond :biggrin:

For a character that is well known i think it will be a very risky and bold move if they were to cast Elba. It's like how Thor is now becoming a women, it just wouldn't feel right.

There shouldn't be a need for change just for the sake of political correctness.

It's not for the sake of political correctness. Maybe He's just a good actor. (for the 110000000th time)
Original post by Gwilym101
Current Captain America in the comics is Black (used to be Falcon)

According to the lore Time Lords gender can change during regeneration and the Master was a woman most recently.

Captain America is white in the movies - the movies are what matter!

Even though the latest Doctor sucks; he's still much better than any women would be in the role. Doctor who has always been a white male during all his regenerations, now if he could be someone other than British male demographic, then am sure statistically he would've by now...

To all those saying that white people playing romans in like ancient times or whatever is wrong so why is that ok, the answer is obvious - who do you think they are marketing these movies for? which audience? answer: white people duh!

They should not caste a black James Bond - it's just stupid PC like mentioned before. Your average viewer is a going to be an average white male 13-50 who likes to imagine his life could be as cool as JB's is: banging hotties, shooting people, being a spy, boozing, smoking, and being British. Therefore, you want to appeal to the mass populous.

We like to vicariously experience how cool it is to be James Bond. Since most of the viewers are white it's much easier to do this with a white protagonist, even if you don't like it, it doesn't make it any less true.

I don't want to be taken out of the movie constantly trying to associate myself with the lead character when i've been used to it the right way for 20+ films..

I just don't get why anyone would take one of the most successful franchises and try and **** it up. I mean why? why not make James Bond a woman? i mean if all people, characters and their traits are going to now be fungible? why not just **** everything up!
Original post by P357
There are similarities between the supposed sketch that you posted and Daniel Craig(to a much higher degree than Elba and the sketch),the first combo certainly has a lot more in common and it also sticks to the background of the character(i.e. half-swiss half-scotish dude could look like Daniel Craig). Not that it should be of any consideration to you personally,but do you remember the up-roar within the series' fan-boy community when Daniel Craig was cast as James Bond?He wasn't exactly welcomed with open arms...The guy himself even confessed to have stopped reading fan reviews ever since. The only reason why the outrage over possible casting has extended beyond the fan-base in this case it BECAUSE casting Elba is meant to prove a point.

And actually,thank you for being highly self-assuming,but it would make sense to me if a very-talented british actor of possible middle-eastern descent would play James Bond...as long as he could get into the role if would be believable. However I do not see a black or oriental actor doing it. Few genuine people do (again,the ones set out to prove a point don't come into this).

Exactly what do they have more in common? I've said this before but I'll happily say it again...the movies have deviated so ridiculously from the books and from each other what stops them from introducing a new storyline? Keep saying that but how the **** do you know that? Did I miss something? Did the producers say that at some point ?

Hey, it's you who contradicted himself not me.
Original post by iEatMuFFiNS
Captain America is white in the movies - the movies are what matter!

Even though the latest Doctor sucks; he's still much better than any women would be in the role. Doctor who has always been a white male during all his regenerations, now if he could be someone other than British male demographic, then am sure statistically he would've by now...

To all those saying that white people playing romans in like ancient times or whatever is wrong so why is that ok, the answer is obvious - who do you think they are marketing these movies for? which audience? answer: white people duh!

They should not caste a black James Bond - it's just stupid PC like mentioned before. Your average viewer is a going to be an average white male 13-50 who likes to imagine his life could be as cool as JB's is: banging hotties, shooting people, being a spy, boozing, smoking, and being British. Therefore, you want to appeal to the mass populous.

We like to vicariously experience how cool it is to be James Bond. Since most of the viewers are white it's much easier to do this with a white protagonist, even if you don't like it, it doesn't make it any less true.

I don't want to be taken out of the movie constantly trying to associate myself with the lead character when i've been used to it the right way for 20+ films..

I just don't get why anyone would take one of the most successful franchises and try and **** it up. I mean why? why not make James Bond a woman? i mean if all people, characters and their traits are going to now be fungible? why not just **** everything up!

Look at my post on the range of people white people play. Only two ancient egyptian movies have been mentioned. The rest are black and asian so..
Ugh i give up, think whatever you will.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending