The Student Room Group

I have horrible heavy periods !

I posted here a few weeks about how my periods are irregular.
I'm 17, started at 13. I'm healthy- exercise and I'm 55-56kg and around 5ft7.5.

My cycle has never been regular. I get it every month (sometimes twice like this month- but it was the first week of December and now its the last week).
For the past few months my cycle has been: 27 days, 28 days, 29 days and now 25 days?!
Why does it change so much... I can kind of tell when it comes as I get a migraine 2 days before which makes me want to vomit.

Also, during my periods I have vomited, nearly fainted, couldn't move from cramps. But this is occasionally.

TODAY THE WORST THING HAPPENED.... I get clots every month which can be the size of a 2p coin. However, I got really bad cramps and a few minutes later a chunk of my uterus lining fell out it was about 2-3cm long and 1cm wide ... it felt so uncomfortable.

I'm a virgin and I chose not to wear tampons as I can't get it in. Also, I get blood clots and I don't want it to stay inside me. I also have to use about 7-10 pads everyday. On the first day of my period, this week, I had to change my pad in the middle of the night.

Also, this is TMI but I can feel blood pouring out at least 10x a day. Its a lot of blood. Apparently most women lose 2 teaspoons. I probably lose near 1 cup! Its disgusting.

I also have AS mocks and wanted to revise but had to stay in bed ... so it affects my life.

I'm not gonna go on the pill so don't suggest that. I just want to hear how over girls here survive with heavy periods.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Also, I get cramps every period usually the first and second days are the worst. Paracetamol does not work so I just suffer.
If you haven't done so, you need to see your GP.

If you're changing pads so often, a mooncup might be better for you?
Reply 3
you should definitely consult a gynecologist.this isn't something very serious but she'll prescribe you medicines.usually mefenamic acid tablets help with the cramps and bleeding so if you have one in your house take it but do not make this a habit and do consult with a doctor before trying anythinelse.
Reply 4
Original post by OU Student
If you haven't done so, you need to see your GP.

If you're changing pads so often, a mooncup might be better for you?

It hurts to much to use a tampon, so a mooncup probably will. I dont really have a problem with pads its just annoying having to change them so much.
tranexamic acid works wonders. See your GP.
Hi there :smile:

It's totally normal to have irregular periods at first - however after a couple of years they should have settled down.

I had really irregular and heavy periods (like, every three weeks, then unexpectedly 6 weeks, then 4 weeks, etc. - and I regularly used over 15 pads a day) and went to see my doctor who was able to give me some tablets to help sort them out.

There could be something more serious underlying the problem, so definitely go and see your doctor :smile: It's likely that you're just unlucky and have crappy periods like me, but if there is something more serious you want to get it sorted sooner rather than later. I also suffered from fainting, cramps and clots - but the tablets have really helped :smile: I recently managed to start using tampons (look in the supermarket for some really small ones to start with) which made everything a lot easier too.
Please just go see your GP
You might need to take tranexamic acid capsules and iron supplements and you obviously need to talk to your gynaecologist about this.
Why won't you go on the pill? Doctors often prescribe it to deal with very heavy or painful periods.
I'm not going on the pill! Personal choice.

I will be seeing a GP. Thanks everyone.
Original post by tricky jj
You might need to take tranexamic acid capsules and iron supplements and you obviously need to talk to your gynaecologist about this.

I take iron because of tiredness, I always used to have to sit down every few hours even though I sleep for at least 7 hours.
Original post by Anonymous

For the past few months my cycle has been: 27 days, 28 days, 29 days and now 25 days?! .

Is this seen as irregular? Just wondering because I've been really irregular since I started, I can never predict when it will be, how heavy and for how long and I was wondering is that a serious problem? Should I see my doctor about it? Or is it something that's fine and I can just continue living with?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Definitely see your GP. My sister had something like that, yet her periods lasted for like 6 weeks but hardly anything each day. She now takes the pill and is so much more better with it, so perhaps that might be the only solution?
Your periods sound similar to mine - I've always thought they were worse than normal but just kind of accepted it, but this has made me wonder whether I should do something about it haha.

Personally I wouldn't consider your periods that irregular. The 25 days might be an anomaly, but a range of 27-29 is completely normal. Some people literally have no idea when their period will start because it's so irregular. For most people 28 days is the average but it might vary by 1-2 days each month, which seems to be the case with you. My periods used to be super regular (exactly every 28 days) and it was seen as something desirable by my friends because theirs was never that regular off the pill. Basically, that's completely normal and 100% nothing to be concerned about. Mine have become a bit more irregular now due to stress/weight changes - is that anything that could be affecting yours? Again, this is only noticeable to me because of how regular they used to be.. some people's are just naturally like that.

For the cramps - your doctor can prescribe you stronger painkillers (paracetamol doesn't work for me either). I find applying heat to be really useful, and have in the past found ibuprofen much better than paracetamol - try taking painkillers around the time you think cramps will start instead of waiting for them to get really bad first. Your doctor can also rule out any conditions which can make periods heavier or cramps worse, and can identify factors that might make your period more irregular (e.g. stress, health, weight changes - even if your weight is healthy, weight losses/gains within a healthy range can still have an effect). A lot can be done by seeing the doctor even if you don't want to go on the pill!
pics or it didnt happen
Original post by morgan006
Is this seen as irregular? Just wondering because I've been really irregular since I started, I can never predict when it will be, how heavy and for how long and I was wondering is that a serious problem? Should I see my doctor about it? Or is it something that's fine and I can just continue living with?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, its irregular. But not the worst case were women don't have some for months.

You can see a doctor if you wish just to make sure everything is alright :smile:
Original post by roflcakes1
Your periods sound similar to mine - I've always thought they were worse than normal but just kind of accepted it, but this has made me wonder whether I should do something about it haha.

Personally I wouldn't consider your periods that irregular. The 25 days might be an anomaly, but a range of 27-29 is completely normal. Some people literally have no idea when their period will start because it's so irregular. For most people 28 days is the average but it might vary by 1-2 days each month, which seems to be the case with you. My periods used to be super regular (exactly every 28 days) and it was seen as something desirable by my friends because theirs was never that regular off the pill. Basically, that's completely normal and 100% nothing to be concerned about. Mine have become a bit more irregular now due to stress/weight changes - is that anything that could be affecting yours? Again, this is only noticeable to me because of how regular they used to be.. some people's are just naturally like that.

For the cramps - your doctor can prescribe you stronger painkillers (paracetamol doesn't work for me either). I find applying heat to be really useful, and have in the past found ibuprofen much better than paracetamol - try taking painkillers around the time you think cramps will start instead of waiting for them to get really bad first. Your doctor can also rule out any conditions which can make periods heavier or cramps worse, and can identify factors that might make your period more irregular (e.g. stress, health, weight changes - even if your weight is healthy, weight losses/gains within a healthy range can still have an effect). A lot can be done by seeing the doctor even if you don't want to go on the pill!

Thanks for the advice! :smile:

I have tried applying heat and it made me vomit. I will try ibuprofen instead :smile:

Also- I have lost a bit of weight from healthy eating so that may be why my cycle has changed a bit
Use super jumbo tampons, it may be a result of a heavy flow and a wide set vagina.
(edited 9 years ago)
The ony thing I would have suggested is going on the pill but you said you don't want too.

I had really bad periods, making me vomit etc, and after going on the pill it's been 100% better and I can have a period without being in pain.

As you don't want the pill, try and speak to your doctor to see if there's something else that can help you? But the pill will also regulate your period, so will solve two problems at once!

Quick Reply

Latest