The Student Room Group

Should immigrants be deported when they commit a serious crime?

As the thread title says.
I'm not saying to deport people for stealing a chocolate bar but if someone beats/rapes/hurts/murders/repeatedly steals and they're not a citizen, should they be deported or deported after serving their time in prison?

I think they should, it's not their country so said country doesn't have to put its citizens at risk by trying to put the criminal back into the society
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes.
Interesting idea, does a non-citizen hold less value in society than a citizen ?
Reply 3
Happened in France a couple of times.
Reply 4
I vote yes, if the immigrant has been here for less than 5/10 years.
Original post by Maths and cheesecake
Interesting idea, does a non-citizen hold less value in society than a citizen ?

Yes
If you decide to commit a serious crime as a non citizen then no valuable resources should be wasted on you.
No health care, no housing and no welfare.
Obviously. They have come here and betrayed their privledge by attacking our citizens. But you can't because of 'human rights'.
Yes.
Most definitely, yes.
I would say, on balance...

****ing yes.
Imprison him/her first (based on the laws existing at that time for the crime committed ). Then deport him/her on the basis of malpractice and threat to nation.- Coming from a foreigner.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Yes. It's like finishing the last cookie in someone else's house... it can get you kicked out.
Deported or not, they should spend many years in prison. If you only deport them as a punishment, they will keep committing crimes back home, which, even though it does not affect your nation directly, it is still not ok. We're all human, in the end, and we should be concerned about someone's death or bad luck, no matter what language they speak. If an English citizen would commit a horrible crime in France and he would be deported, you wouldn't be happy with this either, as you would be at risk in your turn. Prison is the way :-)
So a criminal who is a citizen is more worthy of the society than a criminal who isn't a citizen ?

My intolerance isn't selective when it comes to hardened criminals who rape and murder.

but to each his own.
Reply 14
Original post by Cinnamon.S
Deported or not, they should spend many years in prison. If you only deport them as a punishment, they will keep committing crimes back home, which, even though it does not affect your nation directly, it is still not ok. We're all human, in the end, and we should be concerned about someone's death or bad luck, no matter what language they speak. If an English citizen would commit a horrible crime in France and he would be deported, you wouldn't be happy with this either, as you would be at risk in your turn. Prison is the way :-)

There are agreements between countries though, right? For example about extradition. This way the English citizen and his punishment would be a problem of the British government, not the French one; it seems fair to me.

I'm not British but the way but hope to come as an immigrant one day so I'm kind of digging my own grave. But I'm not planning on doing bad things either :biggrin:

Well, yes. That's practically the definition of a non-citizen.
Original post by Observatory
Well, yes. That's practically the definition of a non-citizen.

That's horrible, so residents who do not hold citizenship are inferior to the citizens ? and ready to be deported whiles citizens who commit exact same crime are given a second chance ?
Reply 17
Viridiana, can I ask for clarification? Do you mean:

Choose between:
a) deport them
b) send them to prison then deport them

or

Choose between:
1) punish them and deport them
2) punish them and allow them to stay
Reply 18
That's horrible, so residents who do not hold citizenship are inferior to the citizens ? and ready to be deported whiles citizens who commit exact same crime are given a second chance ?
Of course. Otherwise the best way to become a citizen of a country would be to go there and commit a serious crime.
Reply 19
Original post by Simes
Viridiana, can I ask for clarification? Do you mean:

Choose between:
a) punish them and allow them to stay
b) deport them
c) send them to prison then deport them

This is what I mean although everyone can have their own version...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending