The Student Room Group

James Bond to become black? Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Thechillyone
Believable? What is this a historically accurate portrayal of the inner working of MI6? You and your assumptions ! How do you know that people wouldn't be pleased? Just because that's the case with you it doesn't mean that is the case for everyone else!

Look, people were complaining about Craigs acting right ? If people were saying 'Idris Elba is a **** actor' 'Idris Elba is an ******* personally' or something to do with his acting I'd say go right on that's your opinion but thats not the case is it?

No,it's the accurate portrayal of a character within a long-established saga with a strong fan-base that's perfectly aware of the background of a half-a-century-long established character. The fuss isn't being kicked because someone is trying to make a movie with a black spy in it-no one would argue against,rightfully so. The fuss is being made because they're trying to replace the original altogether and the supporters of this are for it because they want their point proven and they won't shut up until they do.Hell even after getting their point proven they wouldn't shut up. The general way of things is that when a minority take central stage with a white-majority media outlet(i.e. a hollywood blockbuster or the cover of english vogue),it's acceptance and and progress...when a white actor or model takes centre-stage in a oriental/african production it's "cultural appropriation" and "internalized inferiority complexes" ,you only have this thread to go by to see it.
As for how I know people wouldn't find it believalbe if Idris was cast?Well, he hasn't been and people scoff at the idea...The SJWs are outraged(as per their usual default modus operandi) and arguing against.

People did complain about Craig's acting. But the fan-base complained about his casting.They simply were not in the LEAST bit happy when the company released the name of the future James Bond,on the ground that he would NOT fit the character persona that he novels were establishing. The SJW's had no reason to bitch so everyone was quiet.
Original post by Drewski
Fwiw, while I think Elba would do a stellar job and I have no problem with "Bond being black" I just fear that if someone were to become a black bond that that's all they'd ever be known as, people wouldn't see past that.

I'd be a lot more worried about that, and critical of the decision, if they planned to cast someone like Samuel L Jackson, who is already more famous as an actor than the characters he plays, and while known as a top action movie guy, doesn't have the right personality or acting style for the Bond character. That would say to me that they 1. want a black guy, any black guy, who will 2. make them a lot of money without having to write a decent script. I think Elba could become a distinct Bond known for more than the actor or being "the black Bond".
if it's a black guy why cant they just call the film Jamal Bond instead?
Original post by snoop_frog
if it's a black guy why cant they just call the film Jamal Bond instead?

I know a lot of black people with names such as James, Michael etc
I know no one with the name Jamal.
Take your racial stereotypes somewhere else
loool im baked. just realised how funny i am

come on man, idris as jamal bond. everyone would go to watch that
In a way James Bind is a government agent and spy so him being black isn't a problem but it just seems to be trying too hard to be PC. Also giving a black person a licence to kill seems reckless.
Original post by Guy Secretan
In a way James Bind is a government agent and spy so him being black isn't a problem but it just seems to be trying too hard to be PC. Also giving a black person a licence to kill seems reckless.

:facepalm:

You always seem to come out with the most retarded statements.

No offense but do you have aspergers
Original post by Guy Secretan
Also giving a black person a licence to kill seems reckless.

Are you serious or was this supposed to be a joke?
I knew everyone was gonna get stressy about that IT WAS A JOKE
Original post by Jammy Duel
Does this mean I can add "cannot take a joke" to "sexist and homophobic" as your descriptors?

If I'm sexist and homophobic for not thinking a female homosexual bond is not the same as a black bond what are you for wanting neither a female homosexual or black bond. I wouldnt even care if there was a female black homosexual bond.
racist/prejudiced jobs aren't funny.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Crystalz
If I'm sexist and homophobic for not thinking a female homosexual bond is not the same as a black bond what are you for wanting neither a female homosexual or black bond. I wouldbf even care if there was a female black homosexual bond.

The implication is that somehow a female/lgbt bond would somehow change the film beyond that on teh surface, itself implying some element of inferiority. Interesting how the moderators felt that such accusations are inappropriate but the accusation of racism on the basis of "you're completely redefining the character" is totally fine.
The character of James Bond is a spy. That's the main premise. Any one can be a spy regardless of race. 12 years a slave is a historical film. In fact one of the only films in which Hollywood has been historically accurate. No white person wants to play a slave, in another time period it'd probably make sense though. James Bond being black is not the same. People saying oh he should be white Scottish are being ridiculous because he hasnt been Scottish for a while. He could be Russian and the outrage wouldn't be matched. There is no way to justify outrage at bond not being black.

If you're going by historical accuracy, the chances of a black agent of the level of Bond, when Bond is supposed to have entered MI6, are highly minimal due to the attitudes of the time.

However, I would have no problem with Elba playing Bond, except that he may be a bit too old by the time Craig retires.
Original post by Lady Comstock
If you're going by historical accuracy, the chances of a black agent of the level of Bond, when Bond is supposed to have entered MI6, are highly minimal due to the attitudes of the time.

However, I would have no problem with Elba playing Bond, except that he may be a bit too old by the time Craig retires.

But the bond movies aren't set in that time.
But the bond movies aren't set in that time.

Book time frame: no chance.

Craig time frame: still a minimal chance at that time.
Maybe it's one of James Bond's many disguises? :colone:

In all seriousness lol; Its fiction. Who cares what skin pigmentation the lead character has?
Original post by Lady Comstock
Book time frame: no chance.

Craig time frame: still a minimal chance at that time.

That in itself is a problem seperate from this controversy
Original post by P357
No,it's the accurate portrayal of a character within a long-established saga with a strong fan-base that's perfectly aware of the background of a half-a-century-long established character. The fuss isn't being kicked because someone is trying to make a movie with a black spy in it-no one would argue against,rightfully so. The fuss is being made because they're trying to replace the original altogether and the supporters of this are for it because they want their point proven and they won't shut up until they do.Hell even after getting their point proven they wouldn't shut up. The general way of things is that when a minority take central stage with a white-majority media outlet(i.e. a hollywood blockbuster or the cover of english vogue),it's acceptance and and progress...when a white actor or model takes centre-stage in a oriental/african production it's "cultural appropriation" and "internalized inferiority complexes" ,you only have this thread to go by to see it.
As for how I know people wouldn't find it believalbe if Idris was cast?Well, he hasn't been and people scoff at the idea...The SJWs are outraged(as per their usual default modus operandi) and arguing against.

People did complain about Craig's acting. But the fan-base complained about his casting.They simply were not in the LEAST bit happy when the company released the name of the future James Bond,on the ground that he would NOT fit the character persona that he novels were establishing. The SJW's had no reason to bitch so everyone was quiet.

Accurate portrayal of a fictious character that has been played by numerous different actors? James Bond can't be 'accurately' portrayed anymore because the whole plot/character has deviated so many times. Yes, there is a VAGUE guideline as to what he looked like that is implied in the books but since pretty much none of the books are followed it isn't applicable!

See statements like 'people want their point proven' are what makes me think you're far more bothered by the fact that you think there is some global/national campaign to force some kind of antiwhite propaganda down your throat. I doubt anyone really cared, it's only a movie after all, until people like you started screaming 'political correctness'. It's just disrespectful towars Idris Elba, case you're essentially saying they only reason people want him casted is the colour of his skin.

Yes, but I am sure the reason cited wasn't something like 'he is blond so he doesn't fit the James Bond character' it was more about his style of acting...how many times do I have to reiterate this? Also, I bet noone claimed he was casted because of 'political correctness' or something absurd like that.
It's not for the sake of political correctness. Maybe He's just a good actor. (for the 110000000th time)

I fail to believe that with the history that James Bond has, Sony would go ahead and make such a bold change just because "he's a good actor". James bond is a character that has been defined by the previous films, and were somebody to be asked to draw Bond then 99 times out 100 you would get an image of a white male, black tuxedo, holding a pistol.

James Bond has an iconic appearance, something that i don't think would change just because of a good actor. There have been good actors, black and white, for decades yet the appearance of James Bond has remained the same so i fail to believe that acting is the sole reason for potentially choosing Elba.

I don't have an issue with different colored actors playing roles which might have be defined otherwise (e.g. Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury), however i do have stronger opinions when it is concerning a character who's appearance has remained the same (relatively speaking) for the past 50+ years.

James Bond is a special case and therefore my opinion is that it shouldn't change.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by _Morsey_
I fail to believe that with the history that James Bond has, Sony would go ahead and make such a bold change just because "he's a good actor". James bond is a character that has been defined by the previous films, and were somebody to be asked to draw Bond then 99 times out 100 you would get an image of a white male, black tuxedo, holding a pistol.

James Bond has an iconic appearance, something that i don't think would change just because of a good actor. There have been good actors, black and white, for decades yet the appearance of James Bond has remained the same so i fail to believe that acting is the sole reason for potentially choosing Elba.

I don't have an issue with different colored actors playing roles which might have be defined otherwise (e.g. Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury), however i have issue when it is concerning a character who's appearance has remained the same (relatively speaking) for the past 50+ years.

James Bond is a special case and therefore my opinion is that it shouldn't change.

But you think a business worth millions of pounds and still trying to maximise profits is going to care about political correctness? I highly doubt Sony execs care about the 'political correctness' of their movies as long as people are still willing to pay to go see it.
This is the reason why when the rumours about Idris Elba playing Bond surfaced 6+ months ago he said he was flattered and interested but to be known as the "black bond" would put him off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending