The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChoccyWoccy
I'm not sure - some of them didn't really make it that clear! But I am a bit worried :erm:

Yeah, they really don't, hopefully you'll be fine! Was this for a firm you really liked?
Original post by Horse273
Oh cool I was curious since I haven't made any apps to firms outside of London. I've got an offer from FF and an interview with Slaughters, so it's going alright I guess :smile:

Well done on the offer from FF :smile: hopefully I will have some luck too! Best of luck for your interview!
Do Cleary Gottlieb send interview invites by post as well, or just rejections? Bit worried since I live in a student house with a lot of people so post often gets jumbled up haha
have the law firms awoken yet from their slumber
Has anyone attended (or plans to attend) the Macfarlanes City Law Presentation?
Reply 705
Hi, does anyone know for applications where we have to copy and paste our cover letter into a box on the application form, if we need to include things like addresses and Dear Sir/Madam....??? Because I don't want to waste words when I only have 250!!!! Thanks!!!
Original post by ZaraW
Hi, does anyone know for applications where we have to copy and paste our cover letter into a box on the application form, if we need to include things like addresses and Dear Sir/Madam....??? Because I don't want to waste words when I only have 250!!!! Thanks!!!

What I normally do is see if they say it on the website (I have come across some that say you don't need to even address it to anyone) if it doesn't say on their website, and with such a short word count, I personally would write "Dear X, Job Title" then write the body of the cover letter then just simply "Thank you for your consideration, name". This is just what I would do - I don't know if it is correct or not.
Definitely the longest I've gone without getting an email in a looooong time. :lol:
Reply 708
Yeah I agree! But Simmons seems to be sending emails out today. Just got a rejection from them after taking the Watson Glaser last week....
Has anyone been rejected by MacFarlanes yet?

Applied 7th Nov, and curious to know if I will be in the mass reject pile considering that some have interviews already.
anyone been rejected by A and O recently
Original post by That Was So Funny!
anyone been rejected by A and O recently

I'm waiting on A&O too, how long has it been since you've applied?
Original post by Defragmentation
I'm waiting on A&O too, how long has it been since you've applied?

7 years
7 years

:rofl:
7 years

Ahahahaha, I definitely like your presence on this thread!
7 years

Strong username :P

For the person who applied to Macfarlanes on 7th Nov and hasn't heard back, that is odd that they haven't got back to you yet, it took them 3 weeks to respond to me. I'd assume no news is good news though: if they didnt think they would invite you to interview they'd have rejected you by now - the fact that they haven't shows their still considering it, maybe shelving your app until closer to the deadline?

Always look on the bright side - something clearly stopped them from rejecting :smile: where else have you applied? So far I've applied to Macfarlanes, Herbert Smith Freehills, Simmons, Baker & McKenzie, Slaughter & May. I've sat all 3 tests for HSF but not heard about an interview yet.
Sending three summer vac scheme apps on 31st! My new year will be messed up :P
hey guys, anyone applied to linklaters? having real trouble with the commercial awareness question. any hints or advice?
Reply 718
Original post by electro14
hey guys, anyone applied to linklaters? having real trouble with the commercial awareness question. any hints or advice?

I spoke to grad rec at a Linklaters event not long ago and I asked them about how to approach the commercial awareness question - just pick something you are interested in and make sure it is a topic you will be able to talk about if you get called to interview! Make sure you can link it back to the firm by saying how it affects Linklaters - any benefits or opportunities it presents to the firm, which practice areas are affected etc. The recruiter I spoke to also said that the Russia/Ulkraine crisis was quite a popular topic people have chosen but she also said it's more interesting for them to read about something different when they have to read through so many applications and loads of them are on the same topic!
Original post by ZaraW
I spoke to grad rec at a Linklaters event not long ago and I asked them about how to approach the commercial awareness question - just pick something you are interested in and make sure it is a topic you will be able to talk about if you get called to interview! Make sure you can link it back to the firm by saying how it affects Linklaters - any benefits or opportunities it presents to the firm, which practice areas are affected etc. The recruiter I spoke to also said that the Russia/Ulkraine crisis was quite a popular topic people have chosen but she also said it's more interesting for them to read about something different when they have to read through so many applications and loads of them are on the same topic!

Thank you very much!! I not going to choose the russia/ukraine crisis but how would that affect linklaters or law firms in general?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending