The Student Room Group

Why so much hatred of Halal but not Kosher?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by frankieboy
One could, for example, argue that the Curry is now very much part of British culture - few pints then a 'Ruby Murray' etc. etc. - a lot of the curries on offer are in fact British concoctions, not Indian/Thai/Nepalese. If you'd told them it would be like that in the 1950's, Alf Garnet would've blown a gasket.
We were eating curry in Elizabethan England, hence the desire for a route to the spice islands.

The first Indian curry shop opened sometime in the late 1800s.

The British Army and Royal Navy as well as many civil servants and tradespeople were accustomed to Indian curry from dealing with / living in the Raj from at least as early as the 1850s.
Reply 81
Where did the rest of the posts in this thread go? :confused:
Original post by Simes
We were eating curry in Elizabethan England, hence the desire for a route to the spice islands.

The first Indian curry shop opened sometime in the late 1800s.

The British Army and Royal Navy as well as many civil servants and tradespeople were accustomed to Indian curry from dealing with / living in the Raj from at least as early as the 1850s.

Interesting. But perhaps not enough to have called it a quintessential part of British culture? Who knows... maybe.

And this is the thing. Things now that we find foreign perhaps in the future will be counted as part of 'British culture'.
Original post by DiddyDec
Not in the UK. I know people who have McDonalds contracts and the animal welfare standards required are much higher than the Government standards which are some of the highest in the world.

Animals suffer much less if not at all when they are stunned first, it is basic biology.

Even organic meat in the UK isn't always ideal. The standards are high? Are you serious? They are crammed in tiny cages their entire life, even if they are stunned before slaughter.
Interesting. But perhaps not enough to have called it a quintessential part of British culture? Who knows... maybe.

And this is the thing. Things now that we find foreign perhaps in the future will be counted as part of 'British culture'.

Wtf is this pompous quintessential British culture? If a curry house isn't part of British culture then I don't know what is.
Original post by ZolaCFC25
Wtf is this pompous quintessential British culture? If a curry house isn't part of British culture then I don't know what is.

I don't know - that's the question.

You should ask a Britain First member and see what kind of response you get - it'll make you laugh.
I don't know - that's the question.

You should ask a Britain First member and see what kind of response you get - it'll make you laugh.

Britain First members offer nothing to Britain, holding it back and are a burden on society. If anyone should get kicked out, it's them.
Britain First members offer nothing to Britain, holding it back and are a burden on society. If anyone should get kicked out, it's them.

Haha I agree entirely. It's ironic isn't it.

Transport all of them back to the 1940's.....where they will no doubt discover that their nostalgic utopia wasn't all it was cracked up to be....
Reply 88
Transport all of them back to the 1940's.....where they will no doubt discover that their nostalgic utopia wasn't all it was cracked up to be....
Not with the RAF bombing their beloved homeland and the Eastern Front collapsing and the war in the desert not going all Rommel's way.

:rolleyes:
But....but...but.... England with it's pastures green - remember when Great Britain was 'Great'? Remember when it was just white people out having a picnic with the Queen Mother on the wireless? Eating Fish and Chips and scones? When everywhere in England looked just like in the films? Where people said stuff like 'smoke me a kipper'?

If only we could go back to that.

My ideal England would be solely populated by indegenous Brits, born and bred, not these 'vile' foreigners with their 'vile' ways. We all should be pale, wear football t shirts and have pot bellies. That's what England is all about born and bred vile indigenous Daily Mail 'ave a banana dahn the Auld Kent Road I knew yer Granny always shook your 'and before they stabbed ya Ronnie and Reggie blah blah - *** Head explodes ***.
Even organic meat in the UK isn't always ideal. The standards are high? Are you serious? They are crammed in tiny cages their entire life, even if they are stunned before slaughter.

Tiny cages? Show me a farm in the UK that uses cages. You can't because they are illegal. Go and do some research into UK agricultural. What happens here is very different to what you see in the US.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tiny cages? Show me a farm in the UK that uses cages. You can't because they are illegal. Go and do some research into UK agricultural. What happens here is very different to what you see in the US.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Welfare standards are terrible. Stop trying to say they are not. Almost all farms use broiler sheds which essentially just as bad as cages. Slaughtered at about 6 weeks as well with selective breeding deformities. Males aren't meat worthy and are often gassed or shredded alive!

UK farming regs aren't as amazing as you think. Stop thinking we're superior in every way.

And if you think people complaining about halal food genuinely care about animals, then you are deluded. They are just afraid of being tagged with 'those veil-wearing, non-integrated Muslim terrorists taking over our once great country'. It's obvious.

Done.
(edited 9 years ago)
Welfare standards are terrible. Stop trying to say they are not. Almost all farms use broiler sheds which essentially just as bad as cages. Slaughtered at about 6 weeks as well with selective breeding deformities. Males aren't meat worthy and are often gassed or shredded alive!

UK farming regs aren't as amazing as you think. Stop thinking we're superior in every way.

And if you think people complaining about halal food genuinely care about animals, then you are deluded. They are just afraid of being tagged with 'those veil-wearing, non-integrated Muslim terrorists taking over our once great country'. It's obvious.

Done.

Insightful, perceptive and effing well said.
Reply 93
People don't want animals to suffer. Slicing their throat open while they are conscious makes the animal suffer.

Oh, is that really how you feel? Do you eat fast food? Because I have some sad new for you.

Reply 94

Done.

Oh looks like someone beat me to it :lol:

Done.

Show me a country with better animal welfare standards than the UK

Have you even set foot on a real farm and actually seen the animals living in these terrible conditions?
Original post by Truths
Oh, is that really how you feel? Do you eat fast food? Because I have some sad new for you.

As a matter of fact no, I don't eat fast food other than McDonalds and I already know where their beef comes from.

What is your sad news?
Reply 97
Halal is fine if it is marked. Some of us have personal or religious beliefs where we choose not to eat halal meat or anything killed via some sort of religious ritual.

For some of us, eating unmarked halal is as bad as eating non-halal for you guys. That's why.
I'm most concerned with the price/quality of the meat, don't care if its kosher or halal.

silly commoners keep themselves divided and distracted whiles co-ops reap the benefits, keep shoving horse meat down your oesophagus.
Show me a country with better animal welfare standards than the UK

Have you even set foot on a real farm and actually seen the animals living in these terrible conditions?

You've lost context rather easily. It's irrelevant whether other countries have better animal welfare standards than the UK. If we do, then great. If anything, this proves a point about our stiff upper lip in this argument about being better than everyone else. But still, I don't care about us being better than others... I'd rather everyone else was good too so animals didn't suffer as much.

But back to the point, arguing that the reason people in the UK have complained about halal food being commonplace is due to the animals suffering more is complete nonsense (and supposedly not advertised as such, which is again nonsense). It's racism, pure and simple. It's a good job most people don't care, but the minority that do are the most vocal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending