The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Red Fox
I have a weird memory, I can't remember what I ate for dinner last night but I can remember that.

So leaving TSR for a bit didn't help you do more work then?

Here's a way to mind**** someone. Tell them to look at you in the eyes, and they aren't allowed to look away / break eye contact. Then ask them what they had for lunch yesterday :colone:

Original post by Red Fox
I have so much free time, I need to start making use of it. I want to learn how to play the piano but they're so expensive.

From my experience, keyboards are a bad substitute and nothing can beat the feel of a proper piano. If you ever get to play on a Bosendorfer, my god, I probably wouldn't have stopped if I had a Bosendorfer :tongue:
Learn the electric guitar :beard: you can get a good one for the same price as a keyboard :smile:
I'd only learn the electric guitar if you can play songs that you like on it though, i.e. you listen to rock etc.
I've decided I'm going to learn gutitar

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bude8
Here's a way to mind**** someone. Tell them to look at you in the eyes, and they aren't allowed to look away / break eye contact. Then ask them what they had for lunch yesterday :colone:

From my experience, keyboards are a bad substitute and nothing can beat the feel of a proper piano. If you ever get to play on a Bosendorfer, my god, I probably wouldn't have stopped if I had a Bosendorfer :tongue:
Learn the electric guitar :beard: you can get a good one for the same price as a keyboard :smile:
I'd only learn the electric guitar if you can play songs that you like on it though, i.e. you listen to rock etc.

Lol yeah, you look up to visualise what you ate so it's harder to remember
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Lol yeah, you look up to visualise what you ate so it's harder to remember

Funny how we need to move our eyes to think :rolleyes:
Original post by Bude8
Funny how we need to move our eyes to think :rolleyes:

It's very interesting. Ears for sounds.

Downwards for feelings apparently though a bit sceptical about that one.
It's very interesting. Ears for sounds.

Downwards for feelings apparently though a bit sceptical about that one.

I think it's odd too how different people do this in different ways
For example whenever I walk somewhere I stare at the floor
And if I'm thinking in a lesson I stare at the ceiling or at a person

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bude8

Yeah keyboards are a bit ****e. Guitar looks really hard to play though. Have a mate who started playing guitar to impress a girl who turned out to be a lesbian so might see if I can get it cheap off him:rofl:.

If I get into Cambridge I'm going to try and get onto the MIT exchange!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dude, MIT is ridiculous. I was there for 7 weeks as part of an accelerator program and everyday was brutal. We had business lectures from 9-6pm three days a week then we had to continue to work on our companies from 7pm - 2am.

The guys who were doing STEM programs had a problem set to do virtually every day and were up as much as we were. But, if you are still sane Boston is an amazing city to explore. We regularly went to China town, the science museum, and a lot of downtown - that's just scratching the surface.
Original post by Bude8

Not always man, I have a korg keyboard and it is beautiful. The keys are all real wood and have a nice action to them. Some keyboards even have hammers that hit pressure sensors to emulate the real thing. It's pretty cost effective if you don't have the cash to splash on a real upright or grand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Posted from TSR Mobile

Dude, MIT is ridiculous. I was there for 7 weeks as part of an accelerator program and everyday was brutal. We had business lectures from 9-6pm three days a week then we had to continue to work on our companies from 7pm - 2am.

The guys who were doing STEM programs had a problem set to do virtually every day and were up as much as we were. But, if you are still sane Boston is an amazing city to explore. We regularly went to China town, the science museum, and a lot of downtown - that's just scratching the surface.

Shiyeeeet, that sounds amazing though.

China town would be awesome too, practise some Mandarin. Gah, I want to gooo
Original post by Red Fox
Yeah keyboards are a bit ****e. Guitar looks really hard to play though. Have a mate who started playing guitar to impress a girl who turned out to be a lesbian so might see if I can get it cheap off him:rofl:.

Haha man that's damn hilarious :rofl: it's a bit different to playing the piano - your hands are doing different things, but it's really fun!

Not always man, I have a korg keyboard and it is beautiful. The keys are all real wood and have a nice action to them. Some keyboards even have hammers that hit pressure sensors to emulate the real thing. It's pretty cost effective if you don't have the cash to splash on a real upright or grand.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, bit hasty of me - but I've never heard of a keyboard with hammers?! I shall investigate this later :holmes:
Original post by Bude8
Haha man that's damn hilarious :rofl: it's a bit different to playing the piano - your hands are doing different things, but it's really fun!

Ah, bit hasty of me - but I've never heard of a keyboard with hammers?! I shall investigate this later :holmes:

Quite sad actually, he thought he was making some serious ground but it was not be:lol:. I'm useless at doing anything with my left hand so not sure how that'd work out on a guitar but I'm two footed, a pointless skill considering I don't play football.
Original post by Red Fox
Quite sad actually, he thought he was making some serious ground but it was not be:lol:. I'm useless at doing anything with my left hand so not sure how that'd work out on a guitar but I'm two footed, a pointless skill considering I don't play football.

There's something called 'practice' :rolleyes:
Original post by Bude8
There's something called 'practice' :rolleyes:

I can't even write readable English with it though it's beyond being able to improve with practice:lol:
Original post by Red Fox
I can't even write readable English with it though it's beyond being able to improve with practice:lol:

It's never beyond practice mate :tongue:

Start doing things like brushing your teeth and opening doors with your left hand :smile:
Original post by Bude8
It's never beyond practice mate :tongue:

Start doing things like brushing your teeth and opening doors with your left hand :smile:

Alright, I'll give it a try:tongue:
Original post by Red Fox
Alright, I'll give it a try:tongue:

It'll take time but you'll start to develop control over it... Or maybe you actually are beyond practice because it's the price to pay for being two footed? :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
I've decided I'm going to learn gutitar

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good on you! Acoustic or electric?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bude8
Good on you! Acoustic or electric?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Acoustic at first, but then I'll try electric as soon as I can afford one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Trying not to be jealous... always wanted a proper Korg keyboard. :redface: Was going to buy a microKorg last year but realised I probably wouldn't ever use it. :lol:

Original post by Obiejess
Acoustic at first, but then I'll try electric as soon as I can afford one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Learning acoustic first makes electric seem so much easier when you start. :rolleyes:

Latest