The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

A few things on the Jets:

1. Geno Smith is far from a terrible QB. In his rookie season his receivers were the worst in the league and he still put together some solid games when Kerley was healthy. Two of his starters that year are currently jobless and another is on a practice squad because he couldn't even make the Panthers active roster even though they have no wide receivers either. His total body of work is pretty good, and he has all the tools. In terms of being a starting QB, his body of work is more convincing than other QBs who are not guaranteed starters but get a shot to try (Flynn, Hoyer, Kolb) He is improving because coming out of college his deep ball wasn't particularly good, and in the last few weeks he has been connecting with Decker on it very well.

2. Sad as it is, getting rid of Rex is the right thing to do even though everyone loves him, and getting rid of Idzik probably isn't even though he's unpopular. Rich Eisen made the point that no offensive minds want to come to a team whose head coach is always one season away from being fired because that means they will be fired too, and there's absolutely no way the Jets can offer Rex job security now. They need a coach to come in and be safe in his job for a few years so that he can attract an OC who isn't useless. Firing their GM could go either way. They'll be losing a guy who can get production out of random guys like Babin, but it would be worth it if they got someone who can get consistency out of Geno Smith.

3. They're not talentless, they just have no depth, which happens when you leave 20m of cap room. Their secondary fell apart in pre season, Decker was hobbled early and they were -4 in 2 games vs the Pats, split with the Dolphins and tanked vs Buffalo. I doubt they will go 2-14, I think with regression to the mean they are about an 8-8 team. If they actually use their cap money they could be the best team in the division.
Jets will be the best team in the division the day tom brady and belichick retire. Right now they're behind the Patriots and the Bills.
Well right now they're behind the Dolphins as well. The Pats are very good, but in terms of depth they are quite fragile compared to other elite teams. Gronkowski covers up Brady's weaknesses and accentuates his strengths, but he is both irreplaceable and injury prone. It's impossible to tell because we don't have any real data for what the Pats could do without Brady, but I think Gronk may well be their most valuable player. Overall he is the best at his position by a wider margin than any other player and it's not even close.

I think any season from now where Gronk misses significant time the division is wide open. I think the Dolphins are more of a threat than the Bills or the Jets at the moment, purely because they already definitely have their franchise QB.
Honestly don't see why Rex Ryan takes the fall yet Marty Mornhinweg doesn't, MM is personally responsible for at least one defeat this season.

It's not Rex's fault if Folk missed game-deciding field goals or Geno threw picks for fun, the coach is always the scapegoat.
The new coach will get his own OC. Upper management hardly ever fires OCs, because getting rid of the HC is basically the same thing.

Rex and his status are part of the problem on offense, that's the point Eisen was making. They can't recruit a good OC when their HC is always one year from being fired because new HCs nearly always get new OCs, and that means the new OC would be a year away from being fired as well. That's why they've had to scrape the barrel with **** coaches who don't get enough guidance from Rex, who is not an offensive mind. That's also why letting Rex go is the right thing to do, even though everyone loves him.

He's not "taking the fall," it's just business.
The Bears OC gets axed but the DC stays!? Fo'real bro? What Bears was he watching? Jay Cutler was ****ty, that's not on Kromer. The Bears D was THE WORST BEARS D EVER and Mel Tucker survives. Baffling.
Original post by Wattsy
The Bears OC gets axed but the DC stays!? Fo'real bro? What Bears was he watching? Jay Cutler was ****ty, that's not on Kromer. The Bears D was THE WORST BEARS D EVER and Mel Tucker survives. Baffling.

Prob because the OC was Trestman's guy and the DC had a different working relationship.

Read my posts guys lol. If the HC goes, his guys are out too. This league is business. If you want to watch something where everyone gets what's coming to them, tune into Warren Sapp is Judge Sapp instead.

Also the small matter of Kromer leaking problems with Cutler to the press.
(edited 9 years ago)
Gronkowski played the whole season, finally due for that one. Touch wood he survives the playoffs as well.

I think woody johnson might be in trouble with his comments regarding Revis.
Regarding Chicago, I think they it was correct to fire the OC, as well as Trestman, but the DC should have gone as well. Continuity is a big thing, and I'm sure that's one of the reason's he stayed. Still, there has to be responsibility. Emery deserved to go. GMs are usually tied with the hip with a QB and a Head Coach...Cutler did him in. What happens with Cutler will be interesting.

I've just seen some of the candidates to replace Mike Smith, a defensive mind...Gase and McDaniels...offensive coordinators. Okay then Atlanta... There's a guy in New Jersey who would be an excellent fit. Demitroff should have gone..he may be a good executive, and I like the fact that he tries to sign "good eggs", but that roster has no depth

Moving on...in other news, Kyle Orton just slinked into retirement. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12091661/quarterback-kyle-orton-tells-buffalo-bills-plans-retire http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Kyle-Orton-announces-retirement/d237d2a4-ee85-44a5-8b7e-7d2ce7aa0153?campaign=tw_buf_article

I also have seen Brady has restructured his salary, yet again, to help the team. $24 million in cash saved due to moving the "skill" guarantees to injury guarantees. If he was injured, he would still get the $24 over the course of his contract. http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/12094227/tom-brady-restructures-contract-give-new-england-patriots-24-million-more-cash?ex_cid=espnFB

That's big, because it could potentially pave the way for a big signing (or resigning). That is a special, special relationship between a QB hungry to win, and an organization who will provide the tools. Any Jets GM looks bad in comparison to what Coach BB, and the Patriots executives do. (Do they even have a proper GM?!)
The Patriots have a more sensible owner. It definitely helps that their star QB is not even the main breadwinner in his household lol
Original post by SmashConcept
The Patriots have a more sensible owner. It definitely helps that their star QB is not even the main breadwinner in his household lol

Agree not many people think about it but Giselle is richer than any nfl player in the league. Thats how comfortable Tom could be if he decided to hang up the cleats.

Although it does help having an owner who doesn't seem to cock up a lot.
Seahawks looking strong towards the end of the season. I hope Patriots can go all the way this year :smile: Then Brady will surely be No.1 QB of all time.
Original post by paulover
Seahawks looking strong towards the end of the season. I hope Patriots can go all the way this year :smile: Then Brady will surely be No.1 QB of all time.

Brady's been incredible, but it has to be Dan Marino. He didn't win rings but dayum he was a mighty fine QB. Then it's Montana and Elway for me. Just watching 'The Drive' gives me chills. Then, the "original Johnny Football", Johnny Unitas.

Peyton and Brady are close, and are 'in the conversation', but it's too early for that.
And Jacksonville has just fired their OC. Not surprising. There is talent on that offense to do so much more. They have a keeper in Bortles, and their wide-outs are pretty good. Shoelace has been a revelation. Trestman has been linked for the OC role. That could be interesting, as he is an excellent offensive mind.

I just wonder, with the likes of Jay Ajayi and Melvin Gordon being available, whether they try and get a feature back in the second or third round, and use Shoelace as a change of pace back?
(edited 9 years ago)
Trestman would be a good OC, I don't think any team will hire him as HC after all the reports on how the Bears' locker room was.
Trestman would be a good OC, I don't think any team will hire him as HC after all the reports on how the Bears' locker room was.

Fisch has gone from the Jags OC role today. He'd be an interest dude for the Jags, their team and staff are so young maybe they fancy some more experience? Whoever they get next needs to get away from Zone Blocking!

Shoelace isn't an every down back and Gerhart wasn't what they thought he was this year so I think that another RB might be a possibility.

Also, why would you want to interview Adam Gase for a HC job. Being OC for Peyton is basically writing a playbook and then going you edit it, make it work for you and then do your **** with a T5 TE, T5 WR and another T15 WR. The O-Line doesn't even have to do anything half of the time because Peyton gets rid of the ball quicker than anyone else and this is not Madden Mobile where you can get sacked in 0.75 seconds. Basically, Gase has the easiest senior job in the NFL. It's not testing. He should leave when Peyton retires and then he can do some real work.
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't know what Gase does, but I doubt that's what Tom Moore did at Indy.

I agree about the Jags and outside zone, OZ in the NFL is basically the icing on the cake of a good team when you have a good O line (Ravens, Cowboys, Texans a few years ago) and an appropriate running back. In the NFL running back type is more important than OL type for deciding whether to run the OZ or not because all NFL OL are the same "type." Haven't watched them but Gerhart is a high level athlete who had decent production over a small sample in Minnesota and ran in a power scheme at Stanford. I think OZ in most NFL teams just does more harm than good.
Original post by Wattsy
Fisch has gone from the Jags OC role today. He'd be an interest dude for the Jags, their team and staff are so young maybe they fancy some more experience? Whoever they get next needs to get away from Zone Blocking!

Shoelace isn't an every down back and Gerhart wasn't what they thought he was this year so I think that another RB might be a possibility.

I know Gerhart was supposed to be that candidate. It's weird how it quite hasn't panned out, but he has been injured. Not a great sign, or an excuse, but one reason why he's been worse than expected. he's shown a bit more recently, and it could be more familiarity. I like to have two power/feature backs and a change of pace back. I'm excited to see which NFL team takes the plunge on Jay Ajayi, as he could be that back.

Original post by Wattsy
Also, why would you want to interview Adam Gase for a HC job. Being OC for Peyton is basically writing a playbook and then going you edit it, make it work for you and then do your **** with a T5 TE, T5 WR and another T15 WR. The O-Line doesn't even have to do anything half of the time because Peyton gets rid of the ball quicker than anyone else and this is not Madden Mobile where you can get sacked in 0.75 seconds. Basically, Gase has the easiest senior job in the NFL. It's not testing. He should leave when Peyton retires and then he can do some real work...

I don't know what Gase does, but I doubt that's what Tom Moore did at Indy. ...

I actually like Adam Gase as a coordinator. He was QB and a wide receiver coach in Denver before becoming OC, so he must be doing something right. However, on NFL.com, he got too much of the credit for initiating the switch to a more run first philospophy. Fox gets a lot of **** from Broncos fans, but he's adaptable, and he can mix things up. The Broncos went with a run first philopohy with Tebow, to a pass first one, and now are tending to more of a balance. In some games, whether the Broncos pass 40 times, or rush 40 times, I have confidence in the game plan, and it's good to see.

Gase is a capable coach, and it shows in the success of Denver's wideouts, with their progression and development. (It's not all Peyton!!). Does he have as much impact in the success of the Broncos' offense as Tom Moore did at Indy? No, but Gase doesn't get the credit he deserves. Gase has helped Peyton overcome his age and lack of arm strength. He's putting up better numbers as a Bronco than he ever has as a Colt. More yards, higher completion rates point to an implementation of the system. Is he riding off the coat tails of Mike McCoy's tenure as OC, probably, but he was part of that offensive coordinating team. He's been promoted from within.

Furthermore, Peyton will naturally want to implement a pass first strategy, and getting him to accept a more run-orientated approach cannot be an easy task. Gase is excellent at identifying the mismatch, and using creative formations to ensure the mismatch. Putting DT slot-left isn't what you would usually do with a big-bodied receiver, but it ensures a better matchup across the middle.

I don't think my Broncos have a top-notch pass-blocking o-line, and I agree that Peyton, with his quick release makes them look better than they are, but they are a better run-blocking unit. One thing that gets overlooked with Gase, is that he wasn't afraid to change it up, and use more formations with 6 lineman, and Virgil Green. It was partly neccessary, partly bourne of situational football vs opponents who were good in the air, and with good pass rush, but it shows adaptability. He wasn't afraid to instigate a fundamental reshuffle of that o-line, when the unit wasn't playing very good.

Will he make a good head coach? Not now...I think he's too young, and I would fear the parallels with "The head-coach who will not be named" and I wouldn't want it to distract from a playoff-run in any case. But, in the future, he will be a very good head coach.

I'm surprised teams like Atlanta, WHICH NEED TO FOCUS ON DEFENSE, are targeting offensive minds. I've heard that they have been talking to Rex Ryan...they really need him in at head coach.
Woah....It seems Dr. Bo's surgery was closed. So Mr. Wallace appeared. And, well...many..many...many turnovers happened. I wasn't expecting TCU to blow out Ole Miss like that in the Peach Bowl. Credit to TCU..they wanted it, they must have been annoyed to have been dropped three places after a blowout win. I've said all along that they deserve to be in the playoff and not OSU, but they put an exclamation point on it all.

**STATUE OF LIBERTY ALERT**. Jay Ajayi is killing it in the Fiesta bowl right now. Although he has to hold on to the ball. #20 BSU are bossing it right now 21-0 against #10 Arizona, with 4 bill in the first left.
Jay Ajayi has to watch his ball security, but he's a special talent and an everydown bell-cow. 1st-2nd round grade, with an NFL comparison of Le'veon Bell. He's the truth. Jacksonville, Atlanta, San Diego would be excellent fits.

I wouldn't have previously thought that Grant Hendrick belongs, but he's had a perfect game so far. His mechanics and pocket presence looks good as well.

Latest