The Student Room Group

What A level/s do you find a joke?

Scroll to see replies

Generally anything with the word 'studies' at the end - business, general, media - and other subjects such as P.E. and Health and Social. I can see why the latter might be useful for someone wanting to go into the likes of occupational therapy and nursing, though.
Sociology
Physics , maths,chem and bio
Original post by SubwayLover1
Physics , maths,chem and bio

Why Physics? PH4 and PH5 are amazing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gott
I've heard its quite difficult at university but at A level its just feminism and domestic abuse (hell), not that I do it

In my school there were 15A*'s for sociology and 1 A* for biology.

Everyone got an A in sociology for AS-level except 4 people (out of 42 students) and only 6A's in biology for AS (out of 35 students)
Reply 45
Business Studies.

Basically, it is primarily 100% commmon sense. Everybody already knows the theory. The only thing Business Studies does it attach a word to what you know.

Here is one example, I already knew prior to BS that firms would lower prices at certain times of day, or charge certain customers different prices and I knew the logic behind it. All BS did for me was attach the phrase 'price discrimination' to it for me.
Original post by lxbsly
Business Studies.

Basically, it is primarily 100% commmon sense. Everybody already knows the theory. The only thing Business Studies does it attach a word to what you know.

Here is one example, I already knew prior to BS that firms would lower prices at certain times of day, or charge certain customers different prices and I knew the logic behind it. All BS did for me was attach the phrase 'price discrimination' to it for me.

Surely that's the same for most subjects though? We know most of the theory and things to do with the subject but doing it at A Level teaches us new words and phrases to use that are more correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WilJones138
Why Physics? PH4 and PH5 are amazing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Gott
Chem is hard

I'm guessing s/he was taking the piss.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I just found the content was identical to GCSE, and I was writing rubbish essays but apparently full marks worthy. So I dropped it, and switched.

Hello, Mr Fish (or would you prefer another appellation?)

Was your exam board AQA?
I am really considering switching Chemistry for Geography ou le français. What were the geography lessons like before you quit?
And by the way, is Economics A level worth it either?

Back to topic, I think A Level Sports Studies, Business Studies, Law, and Media Studies is pointless.
Original post by Aleveltimes
I'm talking about the revision for the applied science written exam which is part of the A Level (it's not a btec!) and I know for a fact that business studies is not a btec either and there are 4 exams with writing and essays believe it or not!

If people are so dumb and thick they wouldn't have a place at a sixth form to begin with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

At my current sixth form, those courses are BTECs not A-Levels and everyone who takes them tends to have really bad GCSE's. Entry requirements for those courses are usually GCSE grades C in Maths or BTEC passes.
If you put in the right amount of effort, the A* for Maths should be one of the easiest A*s to get :wink:
Reply 51
Surely that's the same for most subjects though? We know most of the theory and things to do with the subject but doing it at A Level teaches us new words and phrases to use that are more correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe, but it is significantly less obvious in other subjects if that is the case. I genuinely knew pretty much all of the theory for business studies at A Level.

My other subjects.. I didn't know how to differentiate, I didn't know about the monetary policy committee and what they did, I didn't know light displayed both wave-like and photon properties. I know here I could just be selecting obscure examples. My point is, of course with all subjects, you're already going to know some, but with Business, everyone already seemed to know it all.
Original post by zhang-liao
At my current sixth form, those courses are BTECs not A-Levels and everyone who takes them tends to have really bad GCSE's. Entry requirements for those courses are usually GCSE grades C in Maths or BTEC passes.

If they're BTECs they're not A Levels really then are they that's alls I'm trying to get at. So you can't really say that taking a Business Studies or Applied science A Level is the same as taking a BTEC. Therefore you can't call them easy A Levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If they're BTECs they're not A Levels really then are they that's alls I'm trying to get at. So you can't really say that taking a Business Studies or Applied science A Level is the same as taking a BTEC. Therefore you can't call them easy A Levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand that but people here are giving examples of BTECs though and I thought you were talking about BTEC Applied Science and BTEC Business Studies
Original post by Raymat
If you put in the right amount of effort, the A* for Maths should be one of the easiest A*s to get :wink:

Yep, there's only two other people besides me who got A's in maths last year and we all agree maths is our best chance of getting an A* :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lxbsly
Maybe, but it is significantly less obvious in other subjects if that is the case. I genuinely knew pretty much all of the theory for business studies at A Level.

My other subjects.. I didn't know how to differentiate, I didn't know about the monetary policy committee and what they did, I didn't know light displayed both wave-like and photon properties. I know here I could just be selecting obscure examples. My point is, of course with all subjects, you're already going to know some, but with Business, everyone already seemed to know it all.

Yeah I guess so but I always get super offended when people say that business studies is a joke because I really don't think it is. I take maths, chemistry and biology also at A Level along with Business Studies and I think all 4 subjects are worthy of equal effort. To really access the high grades for business studies, people have to have a good ability at both maths and English, especially at A2 where you're expected to just complete calculations as part of your answer without prompting and write complete essays to a good standard. I know that it may appear less challenging and seem to need less effort but I believe that business studies is extremely useful and definitely not a joke.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L'Evil Fish
No no, you have it all wrong.

Clearly the coat represents the burdens he carries with him every day. With each rain drop adding to its weight, he needs to discard it in order to be free.

That was actually pretty insightful..
Original post by Gott
Chem is hard

Chem is plain annoying at times

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zhang-liao
I understand that but people here are giving examples of BTECs though and I thought you were talking about BTEC Applied Science and BTEC Business Studies

Guess it was just communication! I think that's the problem (not just on here), people see a BTEC grade and think that a real Business studies A Level is of the same difficulty because nobody bothers to be correct in their descriptions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Think it's pretty rude to describe subjects as 'a joke' just because you think it's above your own intellectual realm, people have their own aptitude and interests so who is anyone to mock what they choose to learn lol. Sorry to be the guy taking the moral high ground but this thread exposes a lot of educational elitism which is plain rude
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply