The Student Room Group

Exeter medical school applicants 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, International student checking in, I have my interview in Feb and was looking for a convenient place to stay? Also what would be the best way from the airport to the convenient place and from the convenient place to the university? thanks a lot :cool:
Original post by Lessgooo
Hey guys, International student checking in, I have my interview in Feb and was looking for a convenient place to stay? Also what would be the best way from the airport to the convenient place and from the convenient place to the university? thanks a lot :cool:

There are some hotels in Exeter which you may want to consider? The details should be in the information booklet sent with the interview invite to your email. Best way of travelling from the airport would be to take the train imo. What country do you live in, by the way?
Original post by 123456789012
There are some hotels in Exeter which you may want to consider? The details should be in the information booklet sent with the interview invite to your email. Best way of travelling from the airport would be to take the train imo. What country do you live in, by the way?

Thanks for the info. Flying over from Hong Kong!
Thanks for the info. Flying over from Hong Kong!

Oh wow, that's a very long way away! When are you planning to fly over then?
Oh wow, that's a very long way away! When are you planning to fly over then?

Well, my interview is on the 3rd of February so I'll probably get there on the 1st or 2nd, and leave on the 4th or 5th

We stayed at the Jury's Inn which is only 5-10 minutes walk from the St Luke's Campus where the interviews were (I presume yours is at the same place). You can get a flight to Exeter airport via Paris (Charles de Gaulle) and then it's a 15-20 minute taxi ride to the Jury's Inn Hotel...
I need some help/advice please! As part of my Health and Social Care Sub. Diploma course, I have to do work experience for two weeks, and I need to get my DBS form sorted out for it. However, I attended an interview at Exeter Med School a couple of weeks back and I had to bring my identification documents for the DBS there as well. Now, I don't know if I should re-do the DBS check for the work experience since I'm worried that it may result in a fraud. The deadline for the DBS check is fast approaching, and I don't know what to do. Please help!

This thread is about medical school! !:facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I need some help/advice please! As part of my Health and Social Care Sub. Diploma course, I have to do work experience for two weeks, and I need to get my DBS form sorted out for it. However, I attended an interview at Exeter Med School a couple of weeks back and I had to bring my identification documents for the DBS there as well. Now, I don't know if I should re-do the DBS check for the work experience since I'm worried that it may result in a fraud. The deadline for the DBS check is fast approaching, and I don't know what to do. Please help!

Exeter won't submit your DBS until you accept an offer with them (I think) so you definitely need to go-ahead with your other DBS otherwise you risk losing your placement…
As far as I know there is nothing fraudulent about filling in 2 at once as long as everything you say on them is true.
Original post by diana99
This thread is about medical school! !:facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, my bad... :tongue:
Original post by Dr Gin
Exeter won't submit your DBS until you accept an offer with them (I think) so you definitely need to go-ahead with your other DBS otherwise you risk losing your placement…
As far as I know there is nothing fraudulent about filling in 2 at once as long as everything you say on them is true.

Thanks a lot! :biggrin:
Sorry, my bad... :tongue:

Haha it's fine lol :biggrin::biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there,

I have that same letter saying that I am on a reserve list for interview. I am just trying to assess whether this is something to be hopeful about. I know that they DO usually interview a small number of students in Feb and am hoping this might be us :smile: SO...has anyone, who is a home or EU student, already received an offer to interview in February?

Thanks
Any grads know what the cut-off was for Exeter for 2015 entry? Or if not can you let me know what score you got so I have a good idea :smile:
Original post by Marathi
Any grads know what the cut-off was for Exeter for 2015 entry? Or if not can you let me know what score you got so I have a good idea :smile:

http://www.gamsat.co.uk/news-article141/GAMSAT-Cut-Off-Scores.aspx

Next week, apparently?
Reply 1214
Has anyone figured out what Exeter are playing at with 2 reserve lists?

They have given interviews, to how many people?
Then they have put people on a reserve list who have also had interviews and might get offers depending on original list interview performance and spaces?
Finally, they have put people on an interview reserve list to possibly have an interview if the offer reserve list people fail?

What is the point of the final reserve list? surely their method of selecting applicants chooses the potential best doctors in their opinion so whats the need for all these reserve lists if the selection process is meant to fish out the best anyway. I definitely need to call admissions in the new academic year but I dont really know how to phrase the question.
Original post by Hudl
Has anyone figured out what Exeter are playing at with 2 reserve lists?

They have given interviews, to how many people?
Then they have put people on a reserve list who have also had interviews and might get offers depending on original list interview performance and spaces?
Finally, they have put people on an interview reserve list to possibly have an interview if the offer reserve list people fail?

What is the point of the final reserve list? surely their method of selecting applicants chooses the potential best doctors in their opinion so whats the need for all these reserve lists if the selection process is meant to fish out the best anyway. I definitely need to call admissions in the new academic year but I dont really know how to phrase the question.

Hudl this is a miserable process but, having watched it for 2 years (over 7 med schools) I think this is what's happening:
The med schools are under incredible pressure to not exceed their quota of med students (huge financial penalties if they do) and yet they all want to take their full allowance (they'll get paid per capita so don't want to miss-out on numbers). This means that they actually want the exact number they're allowed.
They can't risk too many offers (penalised heavily) so they have to make fewer offers than they think they need to.
All the med schools do the same. But generally it is common for them all to choose the same people so loads of candidates have multiple offers and will therefore only accept one whilst loads of other candidates have none.
Once they have made their initial offers they are all then poised to pounce on the remaining 'pool' of unplaced applicants and they all desperately want to get their very best 'near misses' (rather than accepting poor interview performers or students whose academics are lower). The reserve interviews give them a list of people who are high interview performers (but marginally lower academically). They usually hold a post-interview reserve list too from the main batch of interviews (marginally poorer at interview but still high academics). Once students firm/insure/reject their offers the universities look at numbers and send out final batches of offers to whichever list they deem more desirable (probably the top of both lists). If they still fall short on numbers they can set up another interview date in April to find some other strong candidates who haven't yet been interviewed and they would take these candidates from the pre-interview reserve list.
By putting a student on one of these lists they are letting you know where you stand, keeping a log of 'students of interest' and also keeping you interested (students are less likely to hastily accept one offer if they know they may hear back from their first choice if they are patient).

Depending on what list you're on it would be perfectly reasonable to ask them how many are on the list and what your position on the list is. Based on past experience what percentage of those on the list might be likely to be made an offer? How long ago it was they needed to set up an extra interview date (from the pre-interview reserves) and how many they interviewed on that occasion?

Last year my daughter was on the pre-interview reserve list for one of her choices (not Exeter) and we found out that the last time they had called anyone to interview from that list was 5 years before; it certainly helped put things in perspective at the time...
Original post by Dr Gin
Hudl this is a miserable process but, having watched it for 2 years (over 7 med schools) I think this is what's happening:
The med schools are under incredible pressure to not exceed their quota of med students (huge financial penalties if they do) and yet they all want to take their full allowance (they'll get paid per capita so don't want to miss-out on numbers). This means that they actually want the exact number they're allowed.
They can't risk too many offers (penalised heavily) so they have to make fewer offers than they think they need to.
All the med schools do the same. But generally it is common for them all to choose the same people so loads of candidates have multiple offers and will therefore only accept one whilst loads of other candidates have none.
Once they have made their initial offers they are all then poised to pounce on the remaining 'pool' of unplaced applicants and they all desperately want to get their very best 'near misses' (rather than accepting poor interview performers or students whose academics are lower). The reserve interviews give them a list of people who are high interview performers (but marginally lower academically). They usually hold a post-interview reserve list too from the main batch of interviews (marginally poorer at interview but still high academics). Once students firm/insure/reject their offers the universities look at numbers and send out final batches of offers to whichever list they deem more desirable (probably the top of both lists). If they still fall short on numbers they can set up another interview date in April to find some other strong candidates who haven't yet been interviewed and they would take these candidates from the pre-interview reserve list.
By putting a student on one of these lists they are letting you know where you stand, keeping a log of 'students of interest' and also keeping you interested (students are less likely to hastily accept one offer if they know they may hear back from their first choice if they are patient).

Depending on what list you're on it would be perfectly reasonable to ask them how many are on the list and what your position on the list is. Based on past experience what percentage of those on the list might be likely to be made an offer? How long ago it was they needed to set up an extra interview date (from the pre-interview reserves) and how many they interviewed on that occasion?

Last year my daughter was on the pre-interview reserve list for one of her choices (not Exeter) and we found out that the last time they had called anyone to interview from that list was 5 years before; it certainly helped put things in perspective at the time...

The cap is silly. You see all over the news that we need more GP's and other consultants, yet there is still a cap on the amount we can train. And, no offence intended whatsoever, my friend's nan was very poorly a few years ago and she was treated by a doctor who trained over here from the EU, they had to ask for another consultant on the ward who was Australian as they couldn't understand what he was saying. Apparently they kept having to ask him to repeat himself(I do disagree with what they were saying about needing more British Doctors, I like that we diversify it slightly..but at the same time i cna sort of see their point of view)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1217
Original post by Dr Gin
X

I would +Ve if I could (seems Ive reppped u to many times), I think this is the best thing anyone has said on this thread. I understand what you're saying but its just fustrating considering they lied to me before I applied that I am at the upper end of their academic requirement all that remains is how my UKCAT will fits into my cohort.

http://gyazo.com/932a05a08f50ff4c481a14fd2f7116fb
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mutleybm1996
The cap is silly. You see all over the news that we need more GP's and other consultants, yet there is still a cap on the amount we can train. And, no offence intended whatsoever, my friend's nan was very poorly a few years ago and she was treated by a doctor who trained over here from the EU, they had to ask for another consultant on the ward who was Australian as they couldn't understand what he was saying. Apparently they kept having to ask him to repeat himself(I do disagree with what they were saying about needing more British Doctors, I like that we diversify it slightly..but at the same time i cna sort of see their point of view)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with what you're saying about numbers. I'm a GP and we have a huge recruitment crisis caused by too many early retirements and too few coming in to the career.
I think that part of the trouble is that the degree of medicine has become desirable for people who have no wish to work as doctors - some go off to work for big law firms on medical cases, some disappear into research, some just jump ship into something more lucrative...
Original post by Dr Gin
I agree with what you're saying about numbers. I'm a GP and we have a huge recruitment crisis caused by too many early retirements and too few coming in to the career.
I think that part of the trouble is that the degree of medicine has become desirable for people who have no wish to work as doctors - some go off to work for big law firms on medical cases, some disappear into research, some just jump ship into something more lucrative...

To what sort of 'lucrative careers' are you referring?
I must admit that is does annoy me when you see the government almost contradicting themselves by not increasing the number of places or reducing the number of hoops required. I have quite a few friends who would succeed in Medicine but chose to do Maths, Computer Science etc...oh well! It's not an easy degree to get into either, the application process is a complete Mare, with people all surging to go to Cambridge and the like without realising that no-one gives two stuffs which university you graduated from at the end of the day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending