The Student Room Group

MPS want to know: Who should provide information about apprenticeships?

What information do people need?

Where should the information come from?

:holmes:

The Education Committee in the House of Commons has launched an inquiry looking at the effectiveness and range of apprenticeships and they want to hear your views.

Replies to this thread will be considered before the Committee takes evidence from the Minister responsible for apprenticeships, Nick Boles MP, in the new year.

What happens next?

About the Education Committee

Scroll to see replies

What about the organisations that are offering the apprenticeships? Or are British businesses now so lazy that they can't even be bothered to provide information about the apprenticeships they are offering...
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
What information do people need?

Where should the information come from?

:holmes:

The Education Committee in the House of Commons has launched an inquiry looking at the effectiveness and range of apprenticeships and they want to hear your views.

Replies to this thread will be considered before the Committee takes evidence from the Minister responsible for apprenticeships, Nick Boles MP, in the new year.

What happens next?

About the Education Committee

What information do people need, well: What does an apprenticeship involve, what areas can you do it in? Information about how its funded and pay, as well as how you apply.

Personally I think schools and colleges should be supplied with the information I've just put and they should pass this onto pupils and parents as many pupils look to their teachers to advise them on what they should do next.
My view is that the government should endorse an official website listing apprenticeship opportunities. However there is no need for the government to provide the website. It could be offered by any of the job site providers, charging employers a modest listing fee. Access to financial incentives to take apprentices could be conditional on listing on the website.

I am afraid that I have no truck with "what about those without internet access". I do not think the government should, except in the case of the very elderly, be organising public services around those who do not wish to use, or wish to prioritise the cost of using the internet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nulli tertius
My view is that the government should endorse an official website listing apprenticeship opportunities. However there is no need for the government to provide the website. It could be offered by any of the job site providers, charging employers a modest listing fee. Access to financial incentives to take apprentices could be conditional on listing on the website.

I am afraid that I have no truck with "what about those without internet access". I do not think the government should, except in the case of the very elderly, be organising public services around those who do not wish to use, or wish to prioritise the cost of using the internet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who should tell young people that the website is out there?
Original post by jelly1000
Who should tell young people that the website is out there?

Such a website should ideally be the first hit from a Google search.
Original post by Smack
Such a website should ideally be the first hit from a Google search.

That's great if you know about apprenticeships and google them, but if you are a 14/15 year old you might not necessarily know they exist until someone tells you.
Original post by jelly1000
That's great if you know about apprenticeships and google them, but if you are a 14/15 year old you might not necessarily know they exist until someone tells you.

Really? I'm fairly certain that I knew about apprenticeships even during primary school, if not the very early years of secondary school.
Original post by Smack
Really? I'm fairly certain that I knew about apprenticeships even during primary school, if not the very early years of secondary school.

I'm betting some of the more disadvantaged youngsters rely on schools to tell them what their options are and potentially don't take any notice of future options until nearer the time.
Hi there,

I am Amit from RateMyApprenticeship.

Our website has a whole host of reviews from those who have embarked apprenticeships and other school leaver programmes.

Have a look at: http://www.ratemyapprenticeship.co.uk/

Hope this helps,

Amit
Reply 10
I think schools need to promote them more. I know many schools have sessions on applying to uni and how to make a UCAS account etc, whereas a fraction of the time is spent on alternatives. When one of my friends was looking, they felt very much left on their own.

The central site with vacancies, as suggested above, is a great idea. Even if it just lists companies and then you "click through" to the company site, it would be a great help.
Original post by Juno
I think schools need to promote them more. I know many schools have sessions on applying to uni and how to make a UCAS account etc, whereas a fraction of the time is spent on alternatives. When one of my friends was looking, they felt very much left on their own.

The central site with vacancies, as suggested above, is a great idea. Even if it just lists companies and then you "click through" to the company site, it would be a great help.

Hi, thanks for your contribution. I'm sure many people would find an online portal with apprenticeship opprtunities to be very useful, though there are already a few sites that already do this. Perhaps the real issue is better promotion of these sites?
Reply 12
Original post by Official House of Commons
Hi, thanks for your contribution. I'm sure many people would find an online portal with apprenticeship opprtunities to be very useful, though there are already a few sites that already do this. Perhaps the real issue is better promotion of these sites?

Perhaps part of the problem is that there are "a few sites that already do this". Having several sites that all just list a few vacancies is difficult to use - and if an applicant only knows about one site they may just assume others don't exist (and therefore that their ideal vacancy doesn't exist).

Posted from TSR Mobile
There should be ONE apprenticeship site - ideally a .gov site, with in depth information about what an apprenticeship involves, why they should be considered, real life case studies, links to big companies such as national grid, etc.

Also include a searchable section with postcode proximity.
Original post by unruly1986
There should be ONE apprenticeship site - ideally a .gov site, with in depth information about what an apprenticeship involves, why they should be considered, real life case studies, links to big companies such as national grid, etc.

Hi there,

Great point Unruly86!

Have you had a look at www.ratemyapprenticeship.co.uk

Our website has regional school leaver opportunities as well as a host of reviews from those who have embarked on schemes of this nature. These include apprenticeships, gap year programmes etc.

So you can see the ins and outs of working at a certain company, bank and firm as well as info you may not always find out online.

Have a look by clicking here

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Amit
Reply 15
Original post by Amit RMA
Hi there,

Great point Unruly86!

Have you had a look at www.ratemyapprenticeship.co.uk

Our website has regional school leaver opportunities as well as a host of reviews from those who have embarked on schemes of this nature. These include apprenticeships, gap year programmes etc.

So you can see the ins and outs of working at a certain company, bank and firm as well as info you may not always find out online.

Have a look by clicking here

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Amit

Your website name doesn't fill me with any confidence. It doesn't scream "we're official!"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by unruly1986

Hi Unruly1986, Were you aware of this website?
http://www.apprenticeships.gov.uk/
Hi Unruly1986, Were you aware of this website?
http://www.apprenticeships.gov.uk/

Better than when I left school 11 years ago, I have to say.

The problem I found is that schools base their success at 16-18 level upon how many pupils go to university. Teachers need to promote apprenticeships amongst sixth formers not just 16 year olds.
Thank you for all your comments. The Committee will use your feedback during Wednesday’s session with Nick Boles MP, Minister of State forSkills and Equalities, Department for Education.

Watch a live streaming of the session on apprenticeships and traineeships for 16-19 years olds on Wednesday 14th January, starting at 9:30 AM http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Player.aspx?meetingId=16923
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
Thank you for all your comments. The Committee will use your feedback during Wednesday’s session with Nick Boles MP, Minister of State forSkills and Equalities, Department for Education.

Watch a live streaming of the session on apprenticeships and traineeships for 16-19 years olds on Wednesday 14th January, starting at 9:30 AM http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Player.aspx?meetingId=16923

When most people this applies to will be in school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending