The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Leeds fans now chanting let's pretend we scored a goal, Callum McManaman sent off for Wigan and Ipswich are now 3-0 up.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TornadoGR4
Ipswich's Portman Road is in an awkward place iirc, it's quite a bit away from any motorway.

Defeat looks certain, just hoping the other scores stay the same now so I at least get £40 for this loss.

The roads in East Anglia are dreadful in general tbh, I lived in that area of the country for a bit and it is so isolated. It's mostly countryside/small villages so as a result you've only got a couple of A roads, which in some places aren't even dual carriageway. Norwich is even worse to get to especially if you're coming from London/the south.

Hope they do go up though. Mick McCarthy's barely spent a penny in years. They got £10m for Connor Wickham a few years back and never spent any of it, seems to be a very well run club.
Never attempting to drive to Norwich, luckily the train station wasn't too far away. Think it will be the same for Ipswich if they come up, a train job. I seem to remember they spent quite a bit when Roy Keane was in charge but since then pretty much nothing.
Original post by Rock Fan
Leeds fans now chanting let's pretend we scored a goal , Callum McManaman sent off for Wigan and Ipswich are now 3-0 up.

:lol:

You're kidding? :lol:
Original post by IDukem
:lol:

You're kidding? :lol:

Yeah they were chanting that near the end of the game, could hear it on the TV. One thing you can say Leeds fans for most of that match outsung Derby fans comfortably
Great win for Ipswich. Looking good for McCarthy.
Original post by Rock Fan
Yeah they were chanting that near the end of the game, could hear it on the TV. One thing you can say Leeds fans for most of that match outsung Derby fans comfortably

But good away support doesn't get you points :wink:

In all seriousness, you probably won't see a more comfortable win than that. I think I remember one shot from Leeds in the whole game and that was it. We were in complete control, largely thanks to Hughes and Eustace, who were both brilliant.

Genuinely don't know how we got beat by that shower at their place.
Original post by Scott129
But good away support doesn't get you points :wink:

In all seriousness, you probably won't see a more comfortable win than that. I think I remember one shot from Leeds in the whole game and that was it. We were in complete control, largely thanks to Hughes and Eustace, who were both brilliant.

Genuinely don't know how we got beat by that shower at their place.

Yeah I mean Derby didn't get out of first gear, they never needed to.
Rumours circulating that Chesterfield's Eoin Doyle, who is League One's top scorer with 18 goals, is heading to Sheffield United. CFC have supposedly put a £2m price tag on him, but I doubt we would get that despite him being worth that, and I'd be gutted if he went to a (somewhat) local rival, when he can clearly do better as I reckon both clubs will finish in similar positions, come May.
Bournemouth, Ipswich and Derby for promotion then. One of them through the play-offs
Original post by IDukem
I figured I'll pop in and say hello. A supporter of my hometown club of Bath City (and a fan of Liverpool...I've always liked them) :smile:

Tan :sad:

I hope there will be a day when there's an end to the madness over there :smile:

Haha, thanks! and Bath sounds cool!

I'd love to hear from a Blackpool fan and how they feel about Oyster at their club. Cardiff are looking at having their lowest ever attendance at the stadium for the FA Cup fixture. They've only managed to sell 2,000 tickets!!

But a happy new year to you all anyway, let's hope 2015 is full of Football League entertainment.. !
Original post by BethhPhill
Haha, thanks! and Bath sounds cool!

I'd love to hear from a Blackpool fan and how they feel about Oyster at their club. Cardiff are looking at having their lowest ever attendance at the stadium for the FA Cup fixture. They've only managed to sell 2,000 tickets!!

But a happy new year to you all anyway, let's hope 2015 is full of Football League entertainment.. !

Inconsistent defines Bath this season. We beat Bristol Rovers (league above us) away from home in the FA trophy, but have also lost 7-1 to East Thurrock who's a league below us in the FA cup :lol: Inconsistency is real cool :wink:

Wasn't long ago they were making waves in the premier league as well. Only 2'000!? Now that's a statement and a half. They might reduced ticket sales significantly then in order to get more tickets.

Happy New Year to you too :biggrin:
Aldershot Town at the Hive tomorrow. Barnet will be top of the league regardless of the result.

Come on you Bees!
Original post by shawn_o1
Bournemouth, Ipswich and Derby for promotion then. One of them through the play-offs

Wouldn't be surprised if Middlesbrough took one of their places, perhaps if Bournemouth get the yips.
So Dave Whelan is banned for 6 weeks (yes weeks) for racist comments. For context, UEFA banned the President of the Italian FA for 6 months for a similar offence. The FA are toothless as ever.
Original post by barnetlad
Wouldn't be surprised if Middlesbrough took one of their places, perhaps if Bournemouth get the yips.

I don't agree, Bournemouth are the strongest team out of the four mentioned. They are consistently getting high margin victories and have a good all round squad, can't see them faltering at any point in the second half of the season.
Although the same can be said for Ipswich I don't think they have a midfield on the same level as promotion rivals and if they end up in the play-offs I don't think they will secure a place.
Happy New Year Football Leaguers!

Spoiler

Original post by TornadoGR4
Happy New Year Football Leaguers!

Spoiler

My signature's a better picture of Mowatt, to be fair :wink:
Original post by Scott129
My signature's a better picture of Mowatt, to be fair :wink:

Can't see on mobile, Mowatt is a really good player though. I believe he could fit in with one of the league's better teams & he's still only 19. If we were to go down I certainly expect Mowatt to be snapped up by a decent team.
No football today from the Football League is a shame.

Quick Reply

Latest