The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Can't believe that's 12 weeks of teaching gone!!!!! I loved my school I was in and cried when I left on Friday, I got thank you cards of kids and some kids begging me to stay!!! Makes it all worth it in the end . I'm nervous about my next school as it's the opposite of my first school, behaviour being one of the opposites! But it's all a challenge in my eyes. Now for 14 days of doing NOTHING but time with my own babies!!!
So glad to have broken up but I now have 2 weeks of call centre work before being thrown into my next placement. Kinda nervous but definitely looking forward to it.
Hi all,

I'm on a training route that is half schools direct and half assessment only (it's the first of its kind and really unusual). However, in terms of my role, it's like a salaried schools direct I suppose. My school made a place for me after I had done some volunteering there.

My query is a bit complicated...

At the moment, I'm finding that teaching takes up less of my time than all of my other responsibilities (organising trips, extracurriculars, visitors, departmental stuff and so on). I like everything I am involved in, but I was just wondered about how much other trainee teachers are encouraged to do outside of planning, teaching, marking and so on? I think I need to evaluate how I'm balancing things!
Reply 4583
I am a little worried. I am studying a PGCE in post compulsory education. Last term I was in control of delivering a unit to level 1 group. It was the first ever time I had done this and I had very little guidance from the staff! I did my best and tried to come up with a set amount of work to be completed by students which would meet the criteria of the unit. I have just received an email invited to a 'Standardisation meeting' in the middle of January. to look at 'claiming award and certificates' for the group. I am worried I have done something wrong!!!!!! anyone got any idea what these meetings are about??
Original post by IBBWI
I am a little worried. I am studying a PGCE in post compulsory education. Last term I was in control of delivering a unit to level 1 group. It was the first ever time I had done this and I had very little guidance from the staff! I did my best and tried to come up with a set amount of work to be completed by students which would meet the criteria of the unit. I have just received an email invited to a 'Standardisation meeting' in the middle of January. to look at 'claiming award and certificates' for the group. I am worried I have done something wrong!!!!!! anyone got any idea what these meetings are about??

It sounds like it's a meeting to make sure everyone is marking in the same way and with consistency.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IBBWI

Sounds like a moderation meeting to me. If anything it will be extremely useful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mrclown
Hi all,

I'm on a training route that is half schools direct and half assessment only (it's the first of its kind and really unusual). However, in terms of my role, it's like a salaried schools direct I suppose. My school made a place for me after I had done some volunteering there.

My query is a bit complicated...

At the moment, I'm finding that teaching takes up less of my time than all of my other responsibilities (organising trips, extracurriculars, visitors, departmental stuff and so on). I like everything I am involved in, but I was just wondered about how much other trainee teachers are encouraged to do outside of planning, teaching, marking and so on? I think I need to evaluate how I'm balancing things!

My school expects me to be taking part in an extra-curricular activity at least once a week, plus any responsibilities that come with a class (key stage meetings, departmental meeting, parents evenings, all marking etc.). I don't run an extra-curricular club each week, so instead just help out when needed - so far I've run science club, conducted mock oxbridge interviews and taught a cross-curricular spanish and science lesson amongst other things. But this is for a PGCE.

People on my course who are school's direct are expected to help out at their school at least as much as me and often more. This is a symptom of the nature of school direct - you're meant to be almost like a proper teacher there, whereas PGCE students are meant to be treated as trainees.
Reply 4587
Can someone please give me a good push or kicking should I say to get on with my lessons and plan them, I have sooo many to do, and it's like every 3 hours I get next to nothing done :|

HALP - procrastination... panick settling in!
Original post by Sam89
Can someone please give me a good push or kicking should I say to get on with my lessons and plan them, I have sooo many to do, and it's like every 3 hours I get next to nothing done :|

On Christmas Eve? Nobody expects that of you!
Reply 4589
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
On Christmas Eve? Nobody expects that of you!

Okay, excuse enough - partay time :colone: :biggrin:
Original post by Sam89
Okay, excuse enough - partay time :colone: :biggrin:

Absolutely. I know of no actual teachers who would do such a thing, and I know some seriously sad teachers.
Merry christmas guys,, i hope everyone is having a proper break right now
Original post by Sam89

I echo what carnationlilyrose said! Furthermore, I don't know how you have enough to do that you're considering working?! I mean, I know the pgce is tough, but we have two weeks off. Surely you can take some of those days off?!

My main worry is an essay I have due in but I've told myself to try to ignore all that for the first week at least.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4593
Original post by Airfairy
I echo what carnationlilyrose said! Furthermore, I don't know how you have enough to do that you're considering working?! I mean, I know the pgce is tough, but we have two weeks off. Surely you can take some of those days off?!

My main worry is an essay I have due in but I've told myself to try to ignore all that for the first week at least.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got loads left, but have made some progress - which I am quite content with! Still need to do 2 assignments, sort teacher's file out, mark a ton of things, and create more lessons and resources but hey ho.. *says nervously*

On a more serious note guys, I need a bitta advise.

Before breaking for holidays, my year 9's had a lesson solely based on group work (mentor said because they need to present don't make a lesson plan/resources or anything just let them get on with it) - it got a little noisy which was fine.

What caught me off guard and has somewhat shaken me (yes, still) is that this girl, from another class, barging into my classroom - first time around I let it go, second time, I said "excuse me" and she responded "no miss, I don't care, don't talk to me someone's taken something from me I need it" *walks up and down for 2 mins and walks out*

I genuinely felt intimidated, because some teacher who obviously isn't doing their job has let her wonder off, she feels like she can come in and shout/scream, demanding things.

Now, I spoke to the teacher (who also happens to be my mentor) who's class she was supposed to be in, and he said something along the lines of "ah she has 'issues', so leave it, no point bringing her up on her behaviour, it won't do anything".. I felt like, wow okay (yes my mentor has behaviour management issues) - next lesson, she comes in again like she owns the place, no knocking, just casually walks in.

To sum up -

1) I'm sure this is going to happen again, she won't listen to me what do I do?
2) I feel like that level of 'respect' the class had for me, as I can be quite harsh, has somewhat depleted because this girl has thrown me off and I've never dealt with a student so intimidating thusfar
3) My mentor says "leave it" - I know this isn't correct, as it will still disrupt my class and it's bugging me how she got away with being so darn rude.

... so what can I do in this situation?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sam89
I've got loads left, but have made some progress - which I am quite content with! Still need to do 2 assignments, sort teacher's file out, mark a ton of things, and create more lessons and resources but hey ho.. *says nervously*

On a more serious note guys, I need a bitta advise.

Before breaking for holidays, my year 9's had a lesson solely based on group work (mentor said because they need to present don't make a lesson plan/resources or anything just let them get on with it) - it got a little noisy which was fine.

What caught me off guard and has somewhat shaken me (yes, still) is that this girl, from another class, barging into my classroom - first time around I let it go, second time, I said "excuse me" and she responded "no miss, I don't care, don't talk to me someone's taken something from me I need it" *walks up and down for 2 mins and walks out*

I genuinely felt intimidated, because some teacher who obviously isn't doing their job has let her wonder off, she feels like she can come in and shout/scream, demanding things.

Now, I spoke to the teacher (who also happens to be my mentor) who's class she was supposed to be in, and he said something along the lines of "ah she has 'issues', so leave it, no point bringing her up on her behaviour, it won't do anything".. I felt like, wow okay (yes my mentor has behaviour management issues) - next lesson, she comes in again like she owns the place, no knocking, just casually walks in.

To sum up -

1) I'm sure this is going to happen again, she won't listen to me what do I do?
2) I feel like that level of 'respect' the class had for me, as I can be quite harsh, has somewhat depleted because this girl has thrown me off and I've never dealt with a student so intimidating thusfar
3) My mentor says "leave it" - I know this isn't correct, as it will still disrupt my class and it's bugging me how she got away with being so darn rude.

... so what can I do in this situation?

That is a tough situation. I would say seek support from someone higher up on sorting out her behaviour in terms of coming in to your class. Or at least find out what the strategy is as there should be one if her behaviour is a known issue. Does the school have a pastoral manager who can let you know more about how to deal with her?

Having said that I know it's tough because I would worry I'd get my mentor in trouble... Maybe you could ask your mentor again to take you to see the pastoral person or show you any behaviour management plans for this girl or something.

Xxx

Oh and as a side note, stay confident. You're obviously happy with behaviour management in general which is great for a normal teacher let alone a trainee! Chances at your class is still fine with you, you just feel less confident because this girl has shaken you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4595
Original post by kpwxx
That is a tough situation. I would say seek support from someone higher up on sorting out her behaviour in terms of coming in to your class. Or at least find out what the strategy is as there should be one if her behaviour is a known issue. Does the school have a pastoral manager who can let you know more about how to deal with her?

Having said that I know it's tough because I would worry I'd get my mentor in trouble... Maybe you could ask your mentor again to take you to see the pastoral person or show you any behaviour management plans for this girl or something.

Xxx

Oh and as a side note, stay confident. You're obviously happy with behaviour management in general which is great for a normal teacher let alone a trainee! Chances at your class is still fine with you, you just feel less confident because this girl has shaken you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!

I would say on the whole, I'm good with managing behaviour - is it weird that certain students seem intimidating to me though? I don't know what it is, the fact that they're bigger than me or something else - I can manage the class on a whole but certain students I will avoid confrontation with :|

Next time she walks in though, I think I will lose my cool and simply tell her to get out or else i'll get someone to remove her.
Original post by Sam89
Thank you!

I would say on the whole, I'm good with managing behaviour - is it weird that certain students seem intimidating to me though? I don't know what it is, the fact that they're bigger than me or something else - I can manage the class on a whole but certain students I will avoid confrontation with :|

Next time she walks in though, I think I will lose my cool and simply tell her to get out or else i'll get someone to remove her.

Not weird at all. Its something about their attitude and behaviour. Everyone has types of people they don't get on as well with, it's a similar thing with students. It happens with any age as well... Even the tiny ones can do it!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Finally managed to get the right number of words on the page for the first draft of my 5,000 word essay set for over christmas. I'll go through and reference it on the weekend, but so glad to see it over with. Now I can get on with the more immediately beneficial work of lesson planning - 6 lessons to plan and a bit of marking to do shouldn't be an issue.
Original post by tory88
Finally managed to get the right number of words on the page for the first draft of my 5,000 word essay set for over christmas. I'll go through and reference it on the weekend, but so glad to see it over with. Now I can get on with the more immediately beneficial work of lesson planning - 6 lessons to plan and a bit of marking to do shouldn't be an issue.

Marking on your PGCE during the holiday?? I had it a lot easier then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ive been doing some reading for my essay but as im between placements I dont have marking or planning to do (thank god).
Anyone else been accosted by there gp for a flu jab, i went in for something unrelated to that and the doc was like, ah your a teacher your in the recommended group for a flu jab...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending