The Student Room Group

Ecology Coursework: Investigate how light intensity affects length of Ivy

Determining how light intensity affects the leaf lengths of the English Ivy (Hedera Helix) leaves
I am really finding my A2 Edexcel Biology ecology coursework difficult. I am not sure what to write about in the following sections:
Rationale:
Why did you choose this study?
What is the ecological benefit from doing this study?
How will your study be helpful in contributing to the conservation/management of the English Ivy?

I am also not sure what to include in my Scientific Background.

My coursework deadline is next week, so I will appreciate any help given as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance.
You can talk about how understanding conditions needed for growth will help people to understand how to grow plants quicker?

How did you carry out the experiment?
Original post by daisychain_
You can talk aout how understanding conditions needed for growth will help people to understand how to grow plants quicker?

How did you carry out the experiment?

I also thought of that few weeks ago, but teachers are asking me why I chose to study English Ivy over other plants, to tackle the issue.

Since I am not clear on what I need to write about in my rationale, its having a knock-on effect on my research section.

I measured the following variables which were light intensity, air temperature, wind speed and humidity of 20 selected leaves in situ. The leaves I chose were growing on two walls: shaded and exposed to full sunlight.
Original post by Ray.Inspiration
I also thought of that few weeks ago, but teachers are asking me why I chose to study English Ivy over other plants, to tackle the issue.

Since I am not clear on what I need to write about in my rationale, its having a knock-on effect on my research section.

I measured the following variables which were light intensity, air temperature, wind speed and humidity of 20 selected leaves in situ. The leaves I chose were growing on two walls: shaded and exposed to full sunlight.

Oh right, have they not offered any reasons you could write about?

Couldn't you buy or grow a plant and keep it in a lab- it would be a lot easier to control the other variables.

I'm not sure on what topic I should do myself, its very difficult to come up with a good topic to write about.
my scientific background is quite difficult as well. I am not sure how to relate light intensity to length of Ivy leaves.
my scientific background is quite difficult as well. I am not sure how to relate light intensity to length of Ivy leaves.

higher light intensity, more photosynthesis, more growth?
That is obvious, but can I still talk about that even though shaded leaves are longer?
Or can i talk about that in background and reason the difference in length in my interpretation?
That is obvious, but can I still talk about that even though shaded leaves are longer?
Or can i talk about that in background and reason the difference in length in my interpretation?

Google it. They're longer because they have to be in order to get the sunlight they need (they have adapted to their surroundings).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending