The Student Room Group

James Bond to become black? Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

James Bond is fictional, so who the bloody hell cares? No one would bat an eyelid if they changed his hair colour and in this instance this is what it is as irrelevant as. If Stephanie Meyer can have vampires that sparkle, then James Bond can be black. PR stunt or not, it just doesn't matter.

If a white person were to play Nelson Mandela then, frankly, it would be insulting, as his race was obviously an important part of what he stood for.

And I don't see many people complaining about the white actors in 'Exodus'.

Hollywood is largely whitewashed and it nice to see more representation of other races apart from if they're playing a stereotypical black character, for a change.
Original post by bertstare
That's because no one cares about those ****ty movies. If the two leads in Bad Boys 3 were played by Daniel Radcliffe and Jesse Eisenberg, people would definitely have something to say about it. Bond is a classic franchise and some things need to remain the same

LOL. Now lets now get carried away. Black (American)culture was essential to the backdrop and overall vibe of the Bad Boys franchise along with the interactions between characters. Honestly would make no sense for Daniel Radcliffe to be blurting out "Move n*gga". Nah, I'll pass. Bond on the other hand, race is not pertinent to the film or character. British culture maybe. Idris is British and the same age as Craig when he took on Bond.

Original post by Truths
LOL. Now lets now get carried away. Black (American)culture was essential to the backdrop and overall vibe of the Bad Boys franchise along with the interactions between characters. Honestly would make no sense for Daniel Radcliffe to be blurting out "Move n*gga". Nah, I'll pass. Bond on the other hand, race is not pertinent to the film or character. British culture maybe. Idris is British and the same age as Craig when he took on Bond.

Bond being a white British dude is just as essential to the vibe of Bond. There's no reason two wisecracking white dudes can't play the leads in Bad Boys 3 if we're going to start blending all the races of characters in movies for no reason.

I'm not even white. This movie is gonna suck.
This movie is gonna suck.

Eek. You base your opinion of movies on the race of the lead (fictional) character. Now that's sad.

There's no reason two wisecracking white dudes can't play the leads in Bad Boys 3 if we're going to start blending all the races of characters in movies for no reason.

To put it simply, Bad Boys franchise is about black culture from the perspective all 2 black cops. Casting 2 white cops, the franchise has fundamentally changed. As black culture is the very vibe and essence of the film. I mean half of the characters speak in ebonics. On the other hand elegance, opulence, sex & violence and British culture is essence of Bond. Not his "whiteness".

Bond being a white British dude is just as essential to the vibe of Bond.

How so? It seems to me that Bond was modelled on a someone who just happened to be white, and the writer and the film producers had paid more attention to his character traits and personality as opposed to his looks. Yes he has been consistently middle aged and "good-looking", though he was described as having black hair, a scar on his cheek, grey eye etc, and many of our previous Bonds have failed to meet the criteria in that respect. That gives me the impression that his physical appearance isn't in fact essential to the movie. At the end of the day, people got over Daniel Craig and his chest nut blonde hair. You will get over Black Bond. It's really not that deep.

Original post by P357
I guess that's why. James Bond has always been that quintessentially British action hero that's almost like a household name...I feel like he was to embody a set of traditional qualities.I feel ethnicity is one of those and were they to change that I probably wouldn't buy into it anymore than I would buy into Jane Bond(and I'm female btw).

I don't see why a black man can't embody the Bond mannerisms and worldview. I agree that a female bond doesn't make sense, because Bond (at least film bond) has always been a womaniser and that doesn't make sense in the other direction. Race, though, seems to be totally unrelated to the Bond character. It would be different if this were the 1950s, not because of social attitudes, but because there were so few black British people that it would be obviously an actor playing a character and not a plausible person. Today, I've met several upper middle class black people; it's unusual, but no more so than the Bond character itself.

What if you did a role-reversal,would you buy into a white martial-arts superhero set in china somewhere(the very idea makes me cringe tbh)?

Batman?

I would personally prefer that they stick to the original description of what James Bond was intended to be like.Although to be fair,it's not like the producers are even considering Idris anymore,much to the anguish of the left-leaning morally outraged....On a side-note,why would you want him to be changed?are you an sjw too?

No, in fact I despise those people. I don't think Elba should be prioritised ahead of other actors because he is black; I nonetheless think he would make a good Bond based on his personal characteristics and that him being black is (for me) not a show-stopper. I'd draw an analogy with Will Smith in I, Robot. That film was based on a book and the original book character was almost certainly white, but the Will Smith character was just fine in the role, and he's a good actor, so what's the problem?
Original post by battycatlady
James Bond is fictional, so who the bloody hell cares? No one would bat an eyelid if they changed his hair colour and in this instance this is what it is as irrelevant as. If Stephanie Meyer can have vampires that sparkle, then James Bond can be black. PR stunt or not, it just doesn't matter.

If a white person were to play Nelson Mandela then, frankly, it would be insulting, as his race was obviously an important part of what he stood for.

And I don't see many people complaining about the white actors in 'Exodus'.

Hollywood is largely whitewashed and it nice to see more representation of other races apart from if they're playing a stereotypical black character, for a change.
He stood for racial equality and the end of Apartheid, not for being black.
If Jesus can be played by a white man, James Bond can be played by a black man. Especially if that black man is as talented as Idris Elba. I for one would love to see him play Bond.
That to me is like Harry Potter or Bilbo Baggins being black. I wouldn't rate it.
Original post by plasmaman
He stood for racial equality and the end of Apartheid, not for being black.

Yeah, exactly. He stood for racial equality. Don't you think it would it perpetuate white supremacy if we changed his skin colour?
I love Idris Elba I think he would do I really good job so yeah I'm hoping for it
Reply 190
Original post by Observatory
I don't see why a black man can't embody the Bond mannerisms and worldview. I agree that a female bond doesn't make sense, because Bond (at least film bond) has always been a womaniser and that doesn't make sense in the other direction. Race, though, seems to be totally unrelated to the Bond character. It would be different if this were the 1950s, not because of social attitudes, but because there were so few black British people that it would be obviously an actor playing a character and not a plausible person. Today, I've met several upper middle class black people; it's unusual, but no more so than the Bond character itself.

Batman?

No, in fact I despise those people. I don't think Elba should be prioritised ahead of other actors because he is black; I nonetheless think he would make a good Bond based on his personal characteristics and that him being black is (for me) not a show-stopper. I'd draw an analogy with Will Smith in I, Robot. That film was based on a book and the original book character was almost certainly white, but the Will Smith character was just fine in the role, and he's a good actor, so what's the problem?

Because it just,quite simply,deviates from the original brand that Bond was supposed to be.You don't write a whole saga building up a character and then follow that up with decades upon decades of sticking to a more-or-less consistent image of what Bond is supposed to look like only to then completely reinvent the whole damn thing.Mannerism isn't the only thing that Bond consists of....I literally associate him with the traditional archetype of british masculinity(hence the "traditional household action here thing"...I don't see how a minority actor,whether oriental or black could be as convincing as someone that's a "household native" if you will). "Modernism" is NOT what come to mind when I think of Bond,especially since it's been such a well-established series-why axe it this way?(hypothetically speaking since Idris isn't being considered anymore)...I'm not one to say that all black people are poor or whatever.Hell,i wasn't even thinking about the image that you could associate with black people when i said that Idris isn't suitable.I think ethnic background as a whole is one of Bond's key character components(i know it's really cool to pretend that no one gives ethnicity any visual consideration nowadays,but most people are lying anyway,hence the backlash for this).

I don't understand the Batman reference tbh. I still cringe at films being made with an asian/martial-arts-type background where the hero is white or whatever.Like that poster that keeps replying with ghetto-faced-gifs made the reference to karate kid-that is beyond cringeworthy. But tbf, if the chinese or japanese had a household-made action hero with a native appearance for decades,people would be outraged if he was suddenly made white.It IS part of the brand.

I don't care about films with black spies being made. I don't want them to annihilate a decades-long classic like this(Will Smith wasn't reshaping the image of a classic franchise was he?). The whole Judi Dench cast was bad enough(and a horrible idea btw)...

Your post is SJW-similar...are you a minority yourself then?
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't care about his skin colour, I just feel it is a dated story and would be happy if no more Bond films were made.
Original post by P357
I don't understand the Batman reference tbh. I still cringe at films being made with an asian/martial-arts-type background where the hero is white or whatever.Like that poster that keeps replying with ghetto-faced-gifs made the reference to karate kid-that is beyond cringeworthy. But tbf, if the chinese or japanese had a household-made action hero with a native appearance for decades,people would be outraged if he was suddenly made white.It IS part of the brand.

This is because of nationality, not race. The Japanese and Chinese do not really have fellow citizens who are not also co-ethnics; historically I believe the Japanese don't even have a concept of citizenship distinct from ethnicity. I would be outraged if they suddenly made Bond a white French man, and still more a white American, but not a black British man who acts and thinks just like Bond always used to. What you are arguing is close to the position that there is no such thing as a black Briton, although I'm not sure that's what you really believe.

Your post is SJW-similar...are you a minority yourself then?

Yes - I'm an upper middle class white man.
This is because of nationality, not race. The Japanese and Chinese do not really have fellow citizens who are not also co-ethnics; historically I believe the Japanese don't even have a concept of citizenship distinct from ethnicity. I would be outraged if they suddenly made Bond a white French man, and still more a white American, but not a black British man who acts and thinks just like Bond always used to. What you are arguing is close to the position that there is no such thing as a black Briton, although I'm not sure that's what you really believe.

How retarded is this SJW accronym haha. It's so dailymail
Don't see why anyone cares either way.
Reply 195

Oh there is such a thing as a black british man. "British" is a nationality. There is no such thing as an ethnic english-man/scotsman who also happens to be black. This is where traditionalism comes in,which I think is a key feature of the Bond brand.Traditionally,at the end of the day,this country's attitude towards citizenship and ethnicity wasn't necessarily the polar opposite to what the japanese/chinese had and still have. The current political climate this country is under is a direct outcome of modernism-something i don't think Bond was meant to be associated with. When I think Bond,I think traditionalism. That's pretty much it.

Are you left-wing then?
Original post by iEatMuFFiNS
Will not watch...

it's like having a black guy play superman, or a female gal play doctor who, or a white guy play muhammad ali

Wow, didn't know Muhammad Ali was a fictional character. Interesting
Original post by P357
Oh there is such a thing as a black british man. "British" is a nationality. There is no such thing as an ethnic english-man/scotsman who also happens to be black. This is where traditionalism comes in,which I think is a key feature of the Bond brand.Traditionally,at the end of the day,this country's attitude towards citizenship and ethnicity wasn't necessarily the polar opposite to what the japanese/chinese had and still have. The current political climate this country is under is a direct outcome of modernism-something i don't think Bond was meant to be associated with. When I think Bond,I think traditionalism. That's pretty much it.

Are you left-wing then?

I've argued this with you at length. Why do you insist on making this a political issue? This isn't about left or right wing....this isn't even about race. All that matters is the performance of the actor in question.
Reply 198
Original post by Thechillyone
I've argued this with you at length. Why do you insist on making this a political issue? This isn't about left or right wing....this isn't even about race. All that matters is the performance of the actor in question.

I'm not buddy...
Someone made this thread that aimed to discuss what the idea of a black Bond would sound like,someone else brought up the outrage that is taking place from the critics,the SJWS(which btw,is a teenage twitter/tumblr term,NOT a traditional dailymail thing)cried racism,and I explained the stance of the critics(you quoted me first remember?).The whinny lefties that cried racism MADE it into a political thing when people just wanted their action hero kept true to its traditional roots. You're slow mah'man.
Original post by P357
I'm not buddy...
Someone made this thread that aimed to discuss what the idea of a black Bond would sound like,someone else brought up the outrage that is taking place from the critics,the SJWS(which btw,is a teenage twitter/tumblr term,NOT a traditional dailymail thing)cried racism,and I explained the stance of the critics(you quoted me first remember?).The whinny lefties that cried racism MADE it into a political thing when people just wanted their action hero kept true to its traditional roots. You're slow mah'man.

You really think you can define people as left wing because they disagree with you on this topic ? Are you 14 and watch Fox News?

I had this devate with you before but you keep bringing political correctness into it when it's got nothing to do with this. You're politicising this so unnecessarily.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending