The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by james22
How can you evaluate that integral though?

Doesn't seem impossible, right? It's e^z around the unit semicircle. Currently practically asleep, though, so I might be talking nonsense.
Original post by james22
How can you evaluate that integral though?

Spoiler

Original post by Smaug123
Doesn't seem impossible, right? It's e^z around the unit semicircle. Currently practically asleep, though, so I might be talking nonsense.

Surely then the integral would be 0 (no poles), which is not correct?

(I haven't done contour integrals in over a year btw.)
Original post by james22
Surely then the integral would be 0 (no poles), which is not correct?

(I haven't done contour integrals in over a year btw.)

It's e^z around the unit semicircle, which isn't a closed loop. We just need to evaluate the integral along the x-axis to complete the semicircular closed contour: 11ezdz-\int_{-1}^1 e^z dz. OK, I've definitely got something horribly wrong :P
Original post by Noble.
I can't be bothered to dig out some of my notes, so this may not be rigorous:

Nice, I also got it into exponential form but didn't think writing it as a sum would lead anywhere
Original post by Smaug123
It's e^z around the unit semicircle, which isn't a closed loop. We just need to evaluate the integral along the x-axis to complete the semicircular closed contour: 11ezdz-\int_{-1}^1 e^z dz. OK, I've definitely got something horribly wrong :P

The answer is not real, and that integral is real, so something has gone very wrong. I cannot see waht though which is really worrying because I should be pretty good at complex analysis.
Solution 483

This is an elementary solution to the problem (here meaning not using complex analysis). For full disclosure, I used ThatPerson's hint.

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DJMayes
Solution 483

This is an elementary solution to the problem (here meaning not using complex analysis). For full disclosure, I used ThatPerson's hint.

Spoiler

I'm not sure that

Spoiler

. I got a different answer for that part, though it doesn't affect the end since we're only interested in the real part.

Also, apparently this was set in a Cambridge exam over a hundred years ago:

Problem 484**

04ln(x)4xx2 dx \displaystyle \int^{4}_{0} \dfrac{\ln (x)}{\sqrt{4x-x^2}} \ dx
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ThatPerson
I'm not sure that

Spoiler

. I got a different answer for that part, though it doesn't affect the end since we're only interested in the real part.

Problem 484**

Good call; I was being very careless with my constants. Will fix that.
Original post by Flauta
Is it

Spoiler

?

I'll type up my "solution" tomorrow if I'm right, I've only done a little probability though so the chances are I'm far off.

Indeed it is
I'm not sure that

Spoiler

Problem 484**

I get my answer as:

Spoiler

Original post by newblood
I get my answer as:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

In which case, that's a neat little integral :tongue:
[QUOTE="newblood;52061983"]Problem 480 ** (not much probability theory in A-Level)

Let X1,X2,...,Xn X_1, X_2,...,X_n be i.i.d r.v's with uniform distribution on [1,2] [1,2] .

Determine a unique value, Δ \Delta , such that limnPr(a<(X1X2...Xn)1/n<b)=1\lim_{n\to \infty} Pr(a <(X_1X_2...X_n)^{1/n} < b) = 1 iff a<Δ a< \Delta

Solution 480

14202228825781009771754.jpg

There's another method involving how the arithmetic and geometric means are related
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jjpneed1
Pretty average tbh :wink:

Problem 471
Determine all sets of non-negative integers x,y x, y and zz that satisfy 2x+3y=z2 2^x + 3^y = z^2 .

Problem 472
Evaluate 0ln(1+x)ln(1+x2)x3dx \displaystyle \int_0^{\infty} \frac{\ln(1 + x)\ln(1 + x^2)}{x^3} dx

Last ones for a while now while I sit some tasty exams, gl on that integral, good job if someone gets it out before exams finish :smile:

Just was looking back a few pages and saw 472. Does that integral have a nice answer? I plugged it into Mathematica and the indefinite integral is horrific.

Edit: Surprisingly, I'm making some progress :tongue:

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2975
Problem 485**

Prove that every open set GG on the real line is the union of a finite or countable system of pairwise disjoint open intervals, where we regard (,x),(,),(y,)(-\infty,x),(-\infty,\infty),(y,\infty) as open intervals.
Just was looking back a few pages and saw 472. Does that integral have a nice answer? I plugged it into Mathematica and the indefinite integral is horrific.

Edit: Surprisingly, I'm making some progress :tongue:

Spoiler

Honesty I can't remember the answer, I think it's something like that though.
Original post by 0x2a
Problem 485**

Prove that every open set GG on the real line is the union of a finite or countable system of pairwise disjoint open intervals, where we regard (,x),(,),(y,)(-\infty,x),(-\infty,\infty),(y,\infty) as open intervals.

Solution 485

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 0x2a
Problem 485**

For each xGx \in G, but a rational pxp_x in the same path connected component as xx (existance is obvious from the definition of openness). For each pxp_x let ax,bxa_x,b_x be such that (ax,bx)G(a_x,b_x) \subseteq G but ax,bx∉Ga_x,b_x \not\in G (existance comes from GG being open). We then have countable many open intervals, and they clearly cover all of GG
Original post by DJMayes
Solution 485

Spoiler

I'm not sure about this, since you seem to be trying to perform uncountably many operations. I think it needs more justification to be correct.

Quick Reply

Latest