The Student Room Group

How to achieve A/A* for Spanish GCSE?

Hi, I was wondering if you could inform me on how you have revised for Spanish in the past and what the best revision techniques are for achieving the high grades in GCSE. I am currently sitting the exam board of AQA therefore I was wondering you could give me advice on the reading and listening exams. Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Major Wilson
Hi, I was wondering if you could inform me on how you have revised for Spanish in the past and what the best revision techniques are for achieving the high grades in GCSE. I am currently sitting the exam board of AQA therefore I was wondering you could give me advice on the reading and listening exams. Thanks in advance!

You just need to practise papers and learn vocab like there's no tomorrow.
Vocab is the most important thing. I learnt every single word included in the CGP books (and most from the main textbook) and after I do past papers I look up every single unfamiliar word and learn those too. Obviously make sure you're smashing the grammar as well. For listening there are loads of spanish podcasts aimed at beginners so just have a look round the internet. With this tactic I got full marks on both reading and listening. :smile:
Original post by DelReyRevolution
You just need to practise papers and learn vocab like there's no tomorrow.

What about the listening exam?
What about the listening exam?

Vocab. Vocab. Vocab.

You should buy the CGP GCSE Spanish book with the CD, practise the Listening questions in that.

Good luck.
Original post by DelReyRevolution
Vocab. Vocab. Vocab.

You should buy the CGP GCSE Spanish book with the CD, practise the Listening questions in that.

Good luck.

Okay, thanks.
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Vocab is the most important thing. I learnt every single word included in the CGP books (and most from the main textbook) and after I do past papers I look up every single unfamiliar word and learn those too. Obviously make sure you're smashing the grammar as well. For listening there are loads of spanish podcasts aimed at beginners so just have a look round the internet. With this tactic I got full marks on both reading and listening. :smile:

Okay thanks and nice one!

Hi, I studied my French GCSE early and completed it in year 9. I was predicted a B, even with all A*s in my CA's but i ended up getting an A*. I think that the best way to get an A/A* in a language is to complete every past paper you can get your hands on and annotate meanings of words if you don't know them.. this will help you remember them when they come up again. Make sure you don't move on to another past paper until you fully understand the one you're working on. Also, if your school provided you with a vocabulary booklet (which most schools do) USE IT!!! They are honestly so helpful! Plus, once you start to understand the language, you enjoy learning more about it and before you know, you've mastered it ! I hope i've been of help :-D
Reply 8

There are loads of things available on the Internet that are so helpful. I know this may sound strange, but if you type in 'hardest GCSE Spanish words' lots of files come up with lists of the hardest words, and five of them came up between my speaking and listening exams. You may think 'ah only five', but they accumulated to about 8 marks as they formed vital parts of sentences, and they were 8 marks that I think most people missed out on because they hadn't focused on 'hard words'. Also, see if you can get the official vocab list from the exam boards website and just test yourself on a page like every week.

Another fab resource is the app called duolingo (I think that's what it's called anyway) available on iTunes and I think just the Internet itself. That helped me loads!! It keeps you constantly practicing and refreshes your memory when it comes to revision. Plus it's free haha which is always a bonus!

I hope I helped, and if you need anymore advice feel free to pm me. I did Spanish last year and it was one of my highest marks. It's tricky I know, but it's definitely a good GCSE to have :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by theshortone786
Hi, I studied my French GCSE early and completed it in year 9. I was predicted a B, even with all A*s in my CA's but i ended up getting an A*. I think that the best way to get an A/A* in a language is to complete every past paper you can get your hands on and annotate meanings of words if you don't know them.. this will help you remember them when they come up again. Make sure you don't move on to another past paper until you fully understand the one you're working on. Also, if your school provided you with a vocabulary booklet (which most schools do) USE IT!!! They are honestly so helpful! Plus, once you start to understand the language, you enjoy learning more about it and before you know, you've mastered it ! I hope i've been of help :-D

Ok thanks!! I really appreciate it! :biggrin: When did you start revising and how regularly?
Original post by emem2011
There are loads of things available on the Internet that are so helpful. I know this may sound strange, but if you type in 'hardest GCSE Spanish words' lots of files come up with lists of the hardest words, and five of them came up between my speaking and listening exams. You may think 'ah only five', but they accumulated to about 8 marks as they formed vital parts of sentences, and they were 8 marks that I think most people missed out on because they hadn't focused on 'hard words'. Also, see if you can get the official vocab list from the exam boards website and just test yourself on a page like every week.

Another fab resource is the app called duolingo (I think that's what it's called anyway) available on iTunes and I think just the Internet itself. That helped me loads!! It keeps you constantly practicing and refreshes your memory when it comes to revision. Plus it's free haha which is always a bonus!

I hope I helped, and if you need anymore advice feel free to pm me. I did Spanish last year and it was one of my highest marks. It's tricky I know, but it's definitely a good GCSE to have :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow nice, when did you start revising for your exams and how regularly? And...thank you very much for the advice! :biggrin:
Just memorise vocab for each topic and do a load of past papers, there's always vocabulary that's repeated every year. There's nothing much else to it really :tongue: Use things like studystack :smile:
Quizlet & duolingo..
Oh wow nice, when did you start revising for your exams and how regularly? And...thank you very much for the advice! :biggrin:

I started in early February just casually, and then serious revision early April. I tried to do a few hours a night, and then give myself Friday and Saturday evenings off :smile:

It sounds stupid, but the hard work definitely pays off on results day! I wasn't expecting my results at all, so it was a great surprise. Work hard and then results day will be one of the best days in your year!

Oh and no problem, I'll give advice for whatever I can :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14

Learn Spanish vocab and read Spanish articles as well as listening to Spanish conversations. I did not do Spanish but German and came out with a B(listening) and a C(reading paper) and got a B overall for my controlled assessment. You can turn everything round and get the grade you want by taking every bit of help anyone offers you.

Edit: You can do it

Good luck in advance:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Magnesium
Just memorise vocab for each topic and do a load of past papers, there's always vocabulary that's repeated every year. There's nothing much else to it really :tongue: Use things like studystack :smile:

Alright, cheers :smile:
Well my exam resits were in June but i was hardcore revising every day for about 2 months before

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emem2011

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, can you give me a link to the hardest GCSE words please? I can't seem to find the lists :/
GCSE languages are generally not too hard if you put the work in. If you learn the vocabulary off by heart, every single word, then theres no reason for you not to do well. Also what i find helps for the speaking and writing is prepare some good, grammatically correct sentences/ essays before the exam then memorize them so even if you struggle with the grammar youll do okay. Ik its a lot of work but its always worth it for an A* tbh
Hi, can you give me a link to the hardest GCSE words please? I can't seem to find the lists :/

Oops I'm really sorry, I just tried the link I used and it's now saying the website cannot be found. It might be temporarily down, although I'll keep trying it for you!

Quick Reply

Latest