The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tom102
Pretty sure law firms and banks target London and Oxbridge before Warwick Nottingham and Durham.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And?
Original post by Hollywood Hogan
And?

Well you didn't mention that in your original statement so I was just informing you incase you didn't know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tom102
Well you didn't mention that in your original statement so I was just informing you incase you didn't know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not some half-assed 17 year old who was born yesterday and downloaded league tables from the internet and ranked my favourite university from such a limited resource. I was around when the Russell Group first formed, and when Exeter was seen as a top 35 university in some quarters.
feel really bad now, I went to Southampton Solent :smile:
I'm not some half-assed 17 year old who was born yesterday and downloaded league tables from the internet and ranked my favourite university from such a limited resource. I was around when the Russell Group first formed, and when Exeter was seen as a top 35 university in some quarters.

Unnecessary aggression right there.

Regardless of league tables it's without question that that the top three London unis are better than Exeter.

"It's always Durham etc etc"

It's always London and Oxbridge therefore meaning your first statement was somewhat.. Flawed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tom102

Regardless of league tables it's without question that that the top three London unis are better than Exeter.

It's always London and Oxbridge therefore meaning your first statement was somewhat.. Flawed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is all about brand. The top 10 will always be the top 10, but no place for Exeter.
It is all about brand. The top 10 will always be the top 10, but no place for Exeter.

I'm glad we agree. I wasn't supporting Exeter is any sense I was mainly stating that banks and law firms target London and Oxbridge over Durham, Nottingham and wherever else you mentioned.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tom102
I'm glad we agree. I wasn't supporting Exeter is any sense I was mainly stating that banks and law firms target London and Oxbridge over Durham, Nottingham and wherever else you mentioned.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nottingham hasn't been in the UK top 10 rankings since 2002, but the brand remains a top 10ish UK university regardless. Though feel bad leaving Bath and St Andrews outside the top 10.
Nottingham hasn't been in the UK top 10 rankings since 2002, but the brand remains a top 10ish UK university regardless. Though feel bad leaving Bath and St Andrews outside the top 10.

You're just contradicting yourself now.. Read what you said earlier about who law firms and banks target.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tom102
You're just contradicting yourself now.. Read what you said earlier about who law firms and banks target.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Explain, sounds like you are confused.
Explain, sounds like you are confused.

This is you're quote "look at where the investment banks and law firms target, it's always Durham, Warwick and Nottingham".

This isn't the case, they target London and Oxbridge before any of those.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tom102
This is you're quote "look at where the investment banks and law firms target, it's always Durham, Warwick and Nottingham".

This isn't the case, they target London and Oxbridge before any of those.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where the plague did I say Notts, Durham, Warwick are more targeted than Oxbridge?
Where the plague did I say Notts, Durham, Warwick are more targeted than Oxbridge?

It's ALWAYS, hence giving no other alternatives. This gives off the impression that you feel those unis are targeted above London and Oxbridge.

Btw they don't always target those unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In my opinions:

1. Oxford
2. Cambridge
3. Edinburgh
4. UCL
5. Imperial
6. LSE
7. Durham
8. St Andrews
9. Exeter
10. Warwick
Original post by Tom102
It's ALWAYS, hence giving no other alternatives. This gives off the impression that you feel those unis are targeted above London and Oxbridge.

Btw they don't always target those unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

More than half of all top barristers were Oxbridge educated, including judges. Durham graduates have to settle for being a top solicitor.
Original post by *Stefan*
For others? Certainly not.

You? I honestly don't believe anything of what you've said. You've contradicted yourself so many times in a single thread (even claiming to be studying two different subjects on some occasions) so... well... you get the notion.

But whatever... I don't have the time for this. Continue with your university-rankings obsession pretending to be a person you're not.

It is with great regret that I have to share some rather disappointing news on TSR. In my long career I have managed to avoid stalking on forums, but after so very long the law of averages gets caught up, and one must confront the reality of the inevitable. With the stalking from so and so in patches, I have to say that I have a wife and 3 kids, and I really don't need this s**t. And ho ho, don't think the above culprits are going to get off lightly with any further such stalking, as the relevant TSR authorities are kept in the loop, and action taken further down the line where appropriate.

In all my academic career, I have to ask now what the last 20 years were for, if the academic community stoops this low to cheat. I suggest these people should turn themselves in and go on a voluntary 4 hour ethics class, or do it the hard way and be told that they aren't going to be welcome on TSR anymore.

[Shake of the head] :facepalm:
(edited 9 years ago)
Wtf is this thread, needs to be deleted at thia point. Holliywoodnhogan is correct for the most part the recent argument is moreso in favour of the guy arguing in favour of Exeter. Also someone wrote a perfect list but cba Ti go back and see, top six are as usual the Bristol Durham and the two others i cant remember.
Original post by TeeEm
A totally personal list in analogy to Football

Russell Group is the premier league

Champion League/Top Four
Cambridge = Man United
Oxford = Chelsea
Imperial= Arsenal
UCL = Man City

Established premier league teams
Warwick = Liverpool
Durham = Spurs
LSE = Everton
Bristol =Newcastle
St Andrews = Aston Villa
Kings = West Ham
etc

Please don't associate my uni with Liverpool, thats insulting, although atm spurs aren't great either. Also lol at camb being utd and ucl city, other way round and ucl is defo not top four material either
Reply 318
Original post by welcometoib
Please don't associate my uni with Liverpool, thats insulting, although atm spurs aren't great either. Also lol at camb being utd and ucl city, other way round and ucl is defo not top four material either

I did say in my opinion ...
Original post by Tom102

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about qmul? It only joined in 2012

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending