The Student Room Group

Swimming?

I want to start swimming (as well as joining the gym) to help me get fitter, but the only problem is that I don't swim well. However, as long as I'm still going through the motions of a breaststroke for example, (albeit my pace being pretty slow), will I still be getting an effective workout out of it? Thanks ^__^
Yes to a degree

There's loads of internet resources on how to improve your swimming :smile:
Reply 2
Breaststroke can be really really low impact if you don't do it properly and most people I see swimming it in the slower lanes at the pool don't look like they will be getting anything out of it. Swim two lengths as you normally would but then two lengths with a really strong arm pull, pulling around and sweeping downwards and inwards into your chest. You should be pulling your upper body up and out of the water with each pull. Hard to explain haha but look up some videos on youtube and you should hopefully get what I mean. You will immediately notice how much harder this impacts your body and how little you are working your body when not swimming like this, but if you want to get anything out of breaststroke then you have got to do it properly! I'd reccomend doing more front crawl/back crawl as this will have a greater impact without a refined technique. Use a kickboard and pullboy which your local pool should be able to supply. Push really hard on your final length if you take it easier throughout the rest.

Swimming is great exercise but you have to push yourself quite hard to get a lot out of it! Get out of breath, get your heart rate up, get your muscles burning!! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by mooomooo
Breaststroke can be really really low impact if you don't do it properly and most people I see swimming it in the slower lanes at the pool don't look like they will be getting anything out of it. Swim two lengths as you normally would but then two lengths with a really strong arm pull, pulling around and sweeping downwards and inwards into your chest. You should be pulling your upper body up and out of the water with each pull. Hard to explain haha but look up some videos on youtube and you should hopefully get what I mean. You will immediately notice how much harder this impacts your body and how little you are working your body when not swimming like this, but if you want to get anything out of breaststroke then you have got to do it properly! I'd reccomend doing more front crawl/back crawl as this will have a greater impact without a refined technique. Use a kickboard and pullboy which your local pool should be able to supply. Push really hard on your final length if you take it easier throughout the rest.

Swimming is great exercise but you have to push yourself quite hard to get a lot out of it! Get out of breath, get your heart rate up, get your muscles burning!! :smile:

Is it common for your upper forearm / lower bicep muscle to hurt the day after swimming or not?
Reply 4
Original post by naxiv
Is it common for your upper forearm / lower bicep muscle to hurt the day after swimming or not?

Depends how used to using those muscles you are! If you've done very little arm based exercise before and then did a lot of swimming then it's not surprising! Try and give your arms a good stretch before and after you swim next time, and make sure to warm up and swim down at the start and end of each swim with a few slow lengths with long stretching strokes :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest